Library Books

Library deadlines are...

• Absolute - Plan ahead, and return the book even if you haven't finished it.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • Real, but kindly - An occasional couple of days late in an emergency is excusable.

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Just suggestions - Keep it as long as you want if you don't mind paying the fine.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Depends on the type of book - (Please share your reasoning.)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • It's 2018 - what's a library?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
As a librarian I can say that libraries are just happy to see their resources being used by their patrons: that's why many public library systems are going the way of no late fees ever.

When I went to the actual library I was AWFUL for returning books late. Now that I borrow digital copies I am 100% cured. If a book is due there’s really no excuse for not either returning or renewing it.

With me ebooks if you don’t renew online before the due date, the ebook just automatically returns itself. I LOVE this. It literally takes me zero effort.

I have renewed a book several times in order to finish it. As long as they allow it, why shouldn't I?

Our library does have a 2 renewal policy. I have on a couple occasions have to go to the library, check it back in and then check it out again. Again, if there are no holds and the library allows it...
I could be totally wrong but I think the point of the discussion was if your book was unable to be renewed (which for my area means there's either holds on it or you've exceeded the number of renewals allowed) not necessarily would you renew the book or not if you could if you hadn't finished it.

Fines are now $0.30 per day with a max of $6.00 per item with other rules regarding how much and how long the fines sit on the account. They've gotten more expensive in the fines over time however they raised the amount of fines on your account that you could have before losing check out privilages but overtime they've become stricter in how long the fines can sit on the account before losing checkout privilages and at the higher amount an additional fee. It used to be the fines could sit on your account for years (which they still can as long as it's under $15).

I return vast majority before due date without incurring an overdue fee however there have been a time or two that it didn't get there in time and usually it's a day or two late--I don't feel really bad TBH sometimes life happens. I do watch my account because a few times a late fee was assessed and it was an error on the part of whoever was checking in the item (one time it wasn't marked off my account another time it fell through the crack if you will between the cart and the recepticle around the cart, etc).

The ones I'm most careful about are the interlibrary loans I get because there is a very very strict fine schedule and they are unable to renewed at all. Because I can get books from all over the world for free with that program I am the most cautious with them and seldom take the books on vacation to lessen the chance of damage or due date issues.

My vote BTW was Real, but kindly - An occasional couple of days late in an emergency is excusable

First, I have no real stake in this - IRL, I was able to renew the book in question on line, so my problem was solved. It just made me curious about the general thought process around stuff like this.

Assuming you cannot renew a book (or whatever) online, how much does it bother you if you're late returning it?

If nobody has a hold on the book (in which case my local library emails us to remind us that it's due and there is a hold so it can't be renewed), I don't worry too much about the due date. My local library charges 10cents a day for books, $1 per day for CDs and DVDS that are overdue, but they make it clear that all overdue fines go straight towards buying new books, CDs and DVDs. So any that I pay, gets rolled right back into new stuff for me to borrow...I figure that's a win and I don't mind paying it one little bit.

I do generally return things on time, or at least within a couple of days. If I know I'm going to be late, i usually renew on line, but I don't get crazy about it. My DH gets all crazy if he thinks he might be late returning it.

I voted It Depends

Ive just completed a 4 year night school BA degree. The college library became my home from home for most of the 4 years. Most of the time I did renew the books online on time or take them back, BUT there were a couple of times I did ignore the library emails to bring the books back.

I know I probably will get flamed for this but during the exam semester one year, there were only a small number of textbooks in the library for a large class. Most people only went to the library about a month before the exams to take out the text books. I used the library throughout the academic year for study and I realised early on that there were not enough textbooks for the whole class. So I took out the textbook and kept renewing online until one day I couldnt renew online. This was because it was near exam time and other students had put a request on it. When that happens you are supposed to take the book back so another student could use it. Well I didnt, and just ignored the emails from the library and let the fines build up. Considering these text books cost about €100 each, I estimated the cost of the fines if I kept the book until the exam was over and worked out it would only cost me €20 in fines. That to me was worth it and yes I know one of my class mates needed the book but at the same time, its survival of the fittest and I needed the book too.

First, I have no real stake in this - IRL, I was able to renew the book in question on line, so my problem was solved. It just made me curious about the general thought process around stuff like this.

Assuming you cannot renew a book (or whatever) online, how much does it bother you if you're late returning it?

Same here. I usually place holds online, pick up book, renew online if needed and drop in book drop bin when finished. If I'm almost finished with a book and can't renew due to a hold, I usually try to finish within the next day and take back a day late. Our library usually doesn't charge until at least 2 days overdue.
I love libraries but hardly go inside anymore except to pick up when a hold comes in.

The last few times I've returned a book late it seems the library didn't even want the fine. Yes, they charged it, but they said "You don't have to pay now. Pay when it's convenient."

I voted It Depends

I know I probably will get flamed for this but during the exam semester one year, there were only a small number of textbooks in the library for a large class. Most people only went to the library about a month before the exams to take out the text books. I used the library throughout the academic year for study and I realised early on that there were not enough textbooks for the whole class. So I took out the textbook and kept renewing online until one day I couldnt renew online. This was because it was near exam time and other students had put a request on it. When that happens you are supposed to take the book back so another student could use it. Well I didnt, and just ignored the emails from the library and let the fines build up. Considering these text books cost about €100 each, I estimated the cost of the fines if I kept the book until the exam was over and worked out it would only cost me €20 in fines. That to me was worth it and yes I know one of my class mates needed the book but at the same time, its survival of the fittest and I needed the book too.

I always did that with the summer reading the schools made the kids do- they had a handful of books for the entire district so if we took one out and it took her long to read it and do the report I would just keep it and pay the fine until she was done- sometimes it was a LONG summer!

Like you, we can renew online (renewable except in the case of new releases or if there's someone "in line" for that book), so there's really no excuse for not renewing. If someone has a hold request in for the book, I feel obligated to get it in on time... in addition, I'm a "rule follower" like that so I always try to get things back on time. But if nobody's waiting, I don't see a big problem with keeping it a few days (although, why not just renew at that point?)

I don't think our library charges fines for books (they do for digital material).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter