Life Boat Drill?

wendyk

Disney Lover
I know there is a lifeboat drill on the ship before you sail. How long does it take? Will it scare the kids?

Thanks,
Wendy

If you prepare the kids in advance they will not be scared. Let them know it is like a fire drill in school. I think it takes about a half hour max and that is with getting to your muster station and returning- probably even less. What we have always done is gone to our cabin, locate and try on our life vests, check to see where our station is and then head up to the buffet. About 15 mins before the drill we head down to our cabin and get our vests on so we are all set. The siren is not too bad and the CM's try to keep things light.

It does not take long - maybe 15 minutes - and it did not scare my kid in the least. We were in Animators and it was painless. All you do is learn how to put on the life vest and what to do if there is a problem. You don't actually go to the lifeboats, in case you were wondering.

I have heard that other people's children have been scared, but we explained to DD that this was like the safety talk on the plane or a fire drill at school. Nobody expects anything bad to happen, we just want to be prepared in case....

Thanks Guys!

One more question. You go there wearing your life vest? Even the kids? What about DS 19 months? Is there one for him? I think trying to put one on him will be longer and noisier than the drill!

Wendy

Everyone must wear their jacket to and from the drill. (which is a pain on the return trip because you REALLY want to get the darn thing off) Yes children must wear them too - they do have child size ones., If there was a true emergency you would certainly want especially a child who can not swim in a vest! Bribery is always a plus to get them in the jacket- as I said before if you try it on once ahead of time it is not as difficult when crunch time occurs.

For the 19 month old, I like Ann's bribery idea. If you can think of some way of making it into a game for him, that would probably help. They are QUITE large and they feel very awkward around your neck. My DD8 could not really sit down with hers on, it kind of lifted up around her ears. Luckily, she thought it was comical!

Here is pic of what the life vests look like. We had our drill in the Walt Disney Theatre. At least you get to sit down during it. The ones that are a bit uncomfortable are the muster stations that are held outside on Deck 4. You have to contend with weather conditions (heat/rain, etc.) and you have to stand squished with other people.

Where your muster stations is all depends on the where your cabin is. We were in cabin 2550 and all the cabins near us had their drill in the WD theatre.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61021700/61044052MycDsK

MJ

ok, tell me why you have to wear the life jacket TO and FROM the lifeboat drill? Just so people aren't in the way at their station trying to get the vests on??

Why can't you take them off when the drill is over and "carry" them back to your cabin??

somethings I just don't understand.....
thanks, Jeanny :D

Hi,
Does anyone know where the cut off is on deck six. Which cabins go to the drill outside vs which ones go to Animators. We will be in 6610, where is our drill?
Thanks

Originally posted by Jeanny
ok, tell me why you have to wear the life jacket TO and FROM the lifeboat drill? Just so people aren't in the way at their station trying to get the vests on?? Why can't you take them off when the drill is over and "carry" them back to your cabin??
The CMs <I>request</I> that you wear the life vest to and from because (I've heard them say <I>many times</I>) guests wearing their life vests take up far less space than guests <I>carrying</I> their life vests. They are very bulky, there are a lot of guests and very little room in the stairways and corridors. I always see a lot of guests trying to remove and carry their vests. They make things more difficult for everyone by not following the "rules" and requests of the DCL cast members in charge.

Also, once you take the life jackets off, the cords drag around the ground. The CMs stated that its dangerous to have all those cords dragging because it could get stepped on and someone could fall down the stairs. This is alleviated if everyone just leaves their vest on until they return to their cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter