Light sabers...worth the money?

Not for me. I am more intrigued by the droids, but I will likely take a pass on that even. I like SW but not that much. This stuff would just sit around the house and be clutter.
Yup. Just like the banshee that my kid had to have and is now sitting around collecting dust. I haven’t bought myself any sort of Disney souvenir in years and I’m not missing anything. I cannot imagine what use I or anyone else would have for a 200 dollar light saber or even a one hundred dollar one given they’ve been selling these kinds of toys for decades.

I can say without question that the light saber was the best experience of my SWGE experience. I loved the story and ability to customize to my liking. I agree that it might turn into clutter in my house but I actually had more fun than any other part of the land....

I know the light saber is powered by the kyber crystal, but there must be a "battery backup". I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but where are the batteries located? Are they easy to change?

The casting call for Gatherers at least here at WDW was very wide. I believe that they are hiring a lot of people for these roles and they will rotate between who delivers the spiel and who helps with the building. They are not trained actors but they have a lot of training and I believe the fluidity in delivery will only come with time

They hired 19 people (well, might have hired more, but had 19 in DD's training group) for DL. They do rotate. And yeah, it's only the first week they've been actually open....people need to chill out.

I know the light saber is powered by the kyber crystal, but there must be a "battery backup". I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but where are the batteries located? Are they easy to change?
I took mine completely apart and couldn't for the life of me find a battery compartment, the tag on the carry bag lists that 3 AAA batteries are required and includes instructions on how to replace batteries but it's impossible to find where they hid the batteries

I did see one video review on YouTube with a pretty good cast member who made it a fun experience. The experience, when done right, seems like it would be really immersive. However, after searching for this specifically, I did come across more videos of just average cast members trying to do this . With my luck I'd get mediocre cast members, as well as obnoxious park guests who ruin the vibe of the immersion. It's risky. If you don't get the experience that you hope for, than you're stuck with a $200+ reminder of that as a nice little souvenir. Plus, I have a husband and two kids. We would all like to go in, but I won't pay for 2 lightsabers (I could do a lot with $400+). So how can I even choose which of us gets to go?

Plus, I have a husband and two kids. We would all like to go in, but I won't pay for 2 lightsabers (I could do a lot with $400+). So how can I even choose which of us gets to go?

Sounds like I’m going to have to pick a favourite kid to bring with me. The bigger one has watched The Gathering episode of clone wars about 4 times so he’s the obvious choice but the littler one is already missing out on a few rides by being too small so on the other hand, it would be nice for her to have something special.

(Husband not bothered about Savis)

Question for anyone who as done this already that might know, do all combinations have the covertec ring? Or is it it that some have covertec some have a D ring?

I did see one video review on YouTube with a pretty good cast member who made it a fun experience. The experience, when done right, seems like it would be really immersive. However, after searching for this specifically, I did come across more videos of just average cast members trying to do this . With my luck I'd get mediocre cast members, as well as obnoxious park guests who ruin the vibe of the immersion. It's risky. If you don't get the experience that you hope for, than you're stuck with a $200+ reminder of that as a nice little souvenir. Plus, I have a husband and two kids. We would all like to go in, but I won't pay for 2 lightsabers (I could do a lot with $400+). So how can I even choose which of us gets to go?
FWIW there is one report of someone bringing in more than one person and I'm not sure if that's because someone screwed up or that Disney is being lax on that rule in general. For now expect the rule to stay in place but keep an eye out.

Question for anyone who as done this already that might know, do all combinations have the covertec ring? Or is it it that some have covertec some have a D ring?
I think each set has one of each option; I know for elemental the rancor tooth has a covertec while the other had a D-ring.

This is what I do: calculate how long it is till your vacation. Divide 200 by however many weeks it is. Put aside that amount of money every week and voila! When you go on your trip you'll have the money for the lightsaber. :-) Or, you know, anything else, because it may turn out that by the time y'all get to GE your husband will find something else he wants more, that's in the same price range.

This is exactly what I have my kids do. Once they reach a certain age, I feel they old enough to do decide what to do with their souvenir money and they are old enough to research ahead of time what they might want and how much they will need. Right now both of mine are setting aside a certain amount from their weekly allowance for Disney. It's like a paycheck deduction, they've approved it, and I do it. I set aside that money and then give them their remaining allowance. Then as the trip gets closer, they can opt to save birthday money (they'll each have a birthday before the trip) or additional allowance to quickly add t their Disney spending money total.

They have already decided that except for SWGE, and the Mitsukoshi store in the Japan pavilion they will not spend their money in other shops in the main parks. They have asked to hit the warehouse ahead of time to look for less expensive general Disney merchandise; and then to go to Disney Springs on the last day, with any remaining funds. (And they understand that if they go nuts before the last day, then there will not be any funds for Disney Springs.)

I feel like if they are old enough to appreciate these more expensive experience driven souvenirs, they are old enough to save for them. Now mind you...my kids don't get an extravagant allowance. They started saving a year and a half out for this trip with tiny amounts of money and will really increase it six months out, plus the birthday money, of course. :)

Yeah, you shouldn't do it. Leave the spot for someone else.

FWIW there is one report of someone bringing in more than one person and I'm not sure if that's because someone screwed up or that Disney is being lax on that rule in general. For now expect the rule to stay in place but keep an eye out.

They won't turn away a parent with 2 kids, (so the builder + 2), but they will turn away an extra adult. Their space is limited and it is hot in there for the CMs...those outfits are toasty

I took mine completely apart and couldn't for the life of me find a battery compartment, the tag on the carry bag lists that 3 AAA batteries are required and includes instructions on how to replace batteries but it's impossible to find where they hid the batteries
Someone I follow on Twitter said they tried to take the blade off and instead accidentally accessed the battery compartment. Idk if that helps you find yours...

Someone I follow on Twitter said they tried to take the blade off and instead accidentally accessed the battery compartment. Idk if that helps you find yours...
I'll have to investigate after work and report back. The blade detaches pretty easily, just push in and rotate, so I'm a bit hesitant to start applying too much force to any of it.

I'll have to investigate after work and report back. The blade detaches pretty easily, just push in and rotate, so I'm a bit hesitant to start applying too much force to any of it.
Funny enough, she said the same thing about not wanting to apply too much force. Only for her apparently the blade was not coming off easily.

I think each set has one of each option; I know for elemental the rancor tooth has a covertec while the other had a D-ring.

Thanks! :flower3: Funnily enough, elemental is the one I’m thinking of. The untoothed version:), although I kinda wish that one had the covertec. Just think it looks a bit neater

Or you could just head to ebay, where there are many Savi's Workshop lightsabers for sale already!

It makes me wonder how many people are going into Savi's with the intention of selling their lightsaber on ebay. Sort of a bummer to think that people who genuinely want to build a lightsaber to keep are being pushed out by people who only want to build them to sell for profit.

Last edited:
Can you experience this without having to buy the light saber? I know at HP land, we watched the wand show, but did not have to purchase. Is this experience like that? Or do you pay in advance?

Or you could just head to ebay, where there are many Savi's Workshop lightsabers for sale already!

It makes me wonder how many people are going into Savi's with the intention of selling their lightsaber on ebay. Sort of a bummer to think that people who genuinely want to build a lightsaber to keep are being pushed out by people who only want to build them to sell for profit.
It doesn't seem to be happening that often (only 15 listings right now), which is nice, but it's definitely odd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter