Lines to get in GE or the rest of the park?

Is this just some sort of new land opening phenomenon here that the lack of fast passes has led to shorter wait times? I've always felt FPs were a double edged sword. Just creating another line full of people and making the wait longer for standby? Or would we be better off without any sort of FP system?
I've been wondering this too. If non-FP lines are so efficient and result in shorter waits for everyone, then why have them at all? I mean, that's great for the three (?) rides a day that you have a 20 minute wait, but isn't that offset by the hour+ you have to wait for everything else?

I've been wondering this too. If non-FP lines are so efficient and result in shorter waits for everyone, then why have them at all? I mean, that's great for the three (?) rides a day that you have a 20 minute wait, but isn't that offset by the hour+ you have to wait for everything else?
Is this just some sort of new land opening phenomenon here that the lack of fast passes has led to shorter wait times? I've always felt FPs were a double edged sword. Just creating another line full of people and making the wait longer for standby? Or would we be better off without any sort of FP system?
Fp is probably the number one onsite perk. Guests ability to book 90 days in advance is a huge draw for Disney.
We've been saying all along that lack of fp would be great for everyone riding because it would create a short standby line. Imagine how short FoP might be without it.
But the truth is that fp is a huge perk and Disney wil activate it on this ride as well and that will be the end of the 80 minute wait time

If it was only three a day it’d be a lot if waiting, but it’s very easy to keep getting fp the entire day. It only really stinks for things that the hotels guests book all the fp for ahead of time and rarely cancel, like 7DMT.

I’m glad SR doesn’t have it because as a local who books anywhere from 2 to 30 days out, usually about 14 days, I would have no chance at a SR fp and the line would be a lot longer.

FP guests get priority over standby which causes standby to move slower. The same amount of guests get to ride but FP essentially creates a class system. I wouldn’t go as far as saying we would be better off without FP though because if you use it it saves time. Without FP, lines would be shorter but still long.

But we also say that Disney doesn't want us standing in lines when we could be spending money in the shops/restaurants. I'm not new here, I know FP booking ahead of offsite guests is a huge perk. But if I am not waiting as long in lines, I am more likely to be spending money. I mean I'm sure they've got their data. Shorter lines for all, and more time to do other stuff (like eat, shop, and roam), sounds dreamy to me :confused3

I`ll say it one more time (with feeling)...they should`ve kept the paper FPs.

I'm checking back in to say we finally went tonight (Sunday) around 6 pm. I have never been in HS with so few people, even on DVC Moonlight Magic nights. The wait time for Smuggler's Run was never more than 40 minutes while we were in the park. Lowest we saw was 30 minutes. I have to say I was underwhelmed by the ride. Seeing the Millennium Falcon was awesome, being in the cabin was cool. The ride (I was an Engineer) was kind of meh.

I`ll say it one more time (with feeling)...they should`ve kept the paper FPs.
No. I remember the days of racing at snail speed at rope drop being overtaken by younger, faster people, many with all the tickets for large groups and getting to the machine to only have availability for 6pm for TSM. FP+ is fairer as it doesn't discriminate older or slower guests and you can plan your time better.

No. I remember the days of racing at snail speed at rope drop being overtaken by younger, faster people, many with all the tickets for large groups and getting to the machine to only have availability for 6pm for TSM. FP+ is fairer as it doesn't discriminate older or slower guests and you can plan your time better.
Yes, as annoying as it may be right now, I don't have to worry about my Space Mountain FP being for 7 p.m. at night when I pull the ticket at 9:00 a.m. With FP+, I can now dictate what my schedule is for the day (assuming I can book what I want, when I want). With paper passes, I had to the ride the rides depending on what the paper passes were and the times they were giving out. Neither system is perfect, but what there is now does give you more flexibility. I still cringe thinking about the mad rush to the TSMM paper fast passes early in the morning. I don't miss that madhouse.

And
Yes, as annoying as it may be right now, I don't have to worry about my Space Mountain FP being for 7 p.m. at night when I pull the ticket at 9:00 a.m. With FP+, I can now dictate what my schedule is for the day (assuming I can book what I want, when I want). With paper passes, I had to the ride the rides depending on what the paper passes were and the times they were giving out. Neither system is perfect, but what there is now does give you more flexibility. I still cringe thinking about the mad rush to the TSMM paper fast passes early in the morning. I don't miss that madhouse.
And only having one at a time too with no option to cancel. FP+ is not 100% perfect, but, it's way better than the old system.

FP+ would be perfect if it was booking the day of only. That would be fair for everybody. Locals have no chance for the most popular fp or sometimes just no chance for good am fp as we usually book a few weeks out or less.

FP+ would be perfect if it was booking the day of only. That would be fair for everybody. Locals have no chance for the most popular fp or sometimes just no chance for good am fp as we usually book a few weeks out or less.

This is why Maxpass at Disneyland is the best version of FP ever. Everyone starts off on an even playing field.

That is very true and it definitely annoys me. But I guess the idea is we aren't having to pay as much money since we're local, and may not be having to stay on property or don't have to spend as much on transportation. By spending more in total for their Disney trip, the people staying onsite in advance are rewarded with better FP+ options. Also, given the chance I guarantee a lot of locals would snatch up the desireable FP+ even if they weren't sure they wanted to go to the park; that then takes away from the people that are for sure going and have already spent the money. That would really make me mad, knowing I spent a bunch of money for a trip and all of the wishy-washy locals are holding all of the good FP+.

I'm checking back in to say we finally went tonight (Sunday) around 6 pm. I have never been in HS with so few people, even on DVC Moonlight Magic nights. The wait time for Smuggler's Run was never more than 40 minutes while we were in the park. Lowest we saw was 30 minutes. I have to say I was underwhelmed by the ride. Seeing the Millennium Falcon was awesome, being in the cabin was cool. The ride (I was an Engineer) was kind of meh.

So it was easy to get into the land itself? We`re visiting in October, and our plan is to visit GE on weekday evenings.

That is very true and it definitely annoys me. But I guess the idea is we aren't having to pay as much money since we're local, and may not be having to stay on property or don't have to spend as much on transportation. By spending more in total for their Disney trip, the people staying onsite in advance are rewarded with better FP+ options. Also, given the chance I guarantee a lot of locals would snatch up the desireable FP+ even if they weren't sure they wanted to go to the park; that then takes away from the people that are for sure going and have already spent the money. That would really make me mad, knowing I spent a bunch of money for a trip and all of the wishy-washy locals are holding all of the good FP+.

I have a season pass for my local Six Flags park, and I gotta say...you`re right. Being a local with a pass gives you so many advantages that you don`t need more of `em.

This is why Maxpass at Disneyland is the best version of FP ever. Everyone starts off on an even playing field.

That's great for Disneyland, the locals park. FP+ works better for WDW, the tourists park. I know it sucks for Oralno area residents, but they are in the minority based on the rest of WDW visitors.

That's great for Disneyland, the locals park. FP+ works better for WDW, the tourists park. I know it sucks for Oralno area residents, but they are in the minority based on the rest of WDW visitors.

Disagree. I think Maxpass would work very well at WDW. Of course, it's too late now since they took out all the old paper FP machines. They still use them at DL.

Everyone would have won at WDW if they had used the Maxpass system. They could have made the onsite resort perk be FREE Maxpass, and everyone else would have had to pay the $15 IF they wanted to use it, and if not, keep on using paper FP.

It is such a superior system in every way, and doesn't punish anyone. It's totally fair, but it allows you to get a TON of rides in every day. I have a feeling the new Disney Genie is going to work more like Maxpass than FP+.

Disagree. I think Maxpass would work very well at WDW. Of course, it's too late now since they took out all the old paper FP machines. They still use them at DL.

Everyone would have won at WDW if they had used the Maxpass system. They could have made the onsite resort perk be FREE Maxpass, and everyone else would have had to pay the $15 IF they wanted to use it, and if not, keep on using paper FP.

It is such a superior system in every way, and doesn't punish anyone. It's totally fair, but it allows you to get a TON of rides in every day. I have a feeling the new Disney Genie is going to work more like Maxpass than FP+.
What is the Disney Genie?!

What is the Disney Genie?!

It's a new app that Disney announced at D23 that will start next year. It's like their own version of Touring Plans. No one has too many details yet, but they indicated that it would allow for more spontaneous touring.

Reactions: EmJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter