Lisa's Weightloss Journal (comments welcomed!)

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
Brief introduction: I've done Atkins before a couple of years ago and was successful and had made it half way to my goal. Unfortunately I began to have a serious health problem (not related to the diet) and had to have a hysterectomy. After that I began to gradually gain all the weight back. Recently I've been feeling very unhappy with myself. I've felt tired, my knees and ankles sometimes ache at the end of the day, just a general feeling of blah, not to mention that I don't like my appearance and how my clothes fit.

Here's where I'm at now:

Start date in Atkins induction: 8/11/03.
Weight: 224 lbs
Height: 5'3
Goal weight: 130-140 lbs
Other goals: To feel better, have more energy, look better. Icing on the cake would be if I were near goal by the time we go on our first trip to WDW August 13, 2004. Our upcoming vacation is not the reason I want to lose weight, it just would be nice to fit into those cute summer clothes I'm always looking at . The main reason is that like I said, I don't feel good at my current weight and I have a strong family history of diabetes.

8/11/03: First day on induction phase and feeling ok.

Breakfast-Didn't have time. I know, that's a no-no.
Lunch-Chicken tortillo soup without the tortilla our course, water.
Dinner-Roast beef, salad, water.

8/12/03: I was not a happy camper this day. I felt very grouchy and by now could tell that I was going through sugar withdrawal. Sugar cravings were really bad.

Breakfast-Didn't have time again. Bad, bad, bad.
Lunch-Chicken breast with a tomator based sauce and shedded melted cheese, salad, water.
Dinner: Left over roast beef, salad, water. Two sugar free Jello for dessert.

8/13/03: Ok, I felt like crap and I could feel my body was still going through sugar withdrawal.

Breakfast-I promise to have breakfast tomorrow!
Lunch-Two hamburger patties with shredded melted cheddar cheese, salad, a couple of tomator slices, Crystal Light.
Dinner-The last of the leftover roast beef, salad, Crystal Light.
Snack-I discovered the Atkins Morning Start bars, delicious! I called the Atkins Center to make sure it was ok, and they told me they don't necessarily have to limited to breakfast time. Yay!

Lisa,

Hi I love those breakfast bars. This morning I went to a professional development session (for teachers) at a pizza place. They had all of these pastries, donuts, and I didn't even care! I had my cup of coffee. I know caffeine is a no no, but I have to have it. An hour later I pulled my breakfast bar out of my pocketbook and ate it with another cup of coffee. For lunch I ate a salad, and I took the cheese and sausage off the pizza.

I am determined to do this this time!

I have the same weight goal as you.

It's good to know there's someone else out there on the same path. Do you have a journal on the Journals board? BTW, I had coffee too this morning, but it doesn't seem to affect me negatively. What's great is that I can put heavy cream in it, 0 carbs. I've always liked a little coffee in my cream!

About those breakfast bars... :rolleyes:

My question is, how many carbs do they have? I was looking at the assortment of bars at Target (including Atkins) and they all seemed to have high carbs ("high" when you can only have 20 per day!).

I just wanted to say also that I've just started Atkins on 8/12 and I've never done it before, and I'm on about the same path, with my goal weight being 150 for now (I'm pretty muscular and don't think I'd look bad at all at that weight) so I'll be working towards goal right along with you guys! :)

Karen :smooth:

The Morning Start bars from Atkins have a net carb amount of 2 grams. The lady at the health food store I bought them at explained the whole net carb thing to me but I was still somewhat skeptical. I called the Atkins Center and I was told the Morning start bars are indeed two net carbs and they're perfectly safe to eat on induction. She just recommended to limit them to one a day and they don't have to be just for breakfast. Those bars have been a lifesaver for me since I bought them. The first three days were excruciating and I wanted to have something sweet so badly. I'm on day five and I feel so much better than day one. Well, time to post my fourth day. Keep up the good work gals!:D

8/14/03: I felt much better by day four. Sugar withdrawal not as bad.

Breakfast-Two eggs and three strips of bacon; small cup of coffee. Delish!
Lunch-It was too hot to eat but I did anyway. Had roast turkey, salad and water.
Snack-I was taking bites of my Morning Start bar throughout the day.
Dinner-It was even hotter at home and there was no way I was going to cook the pork chops I had thawed out. Had two slices of cheese, two slices of sandwich turkey, sugar free Jello, Crystal Light.

I posted this on the morning of 8/15/03. My current weight is 221 pounds. I've lost three pounds!:Pinkbounc

8/15/03: I must have come down with the flu or something because I felt terrible this day, abdominal pain and running to the bathroom every time I ate something.

Breakfast-Morning Start bar, small cup of coffee.
Lunch-Carne asada, 1/2 avocado, lettuce and tomator w/ranch dressing, Crystal Light.
Dinner: Taco salad from Taco Bell, hold the beans, ice tea.

I weighed myself this morning 8/16/03. I'm down to 219 so I've lost five pounds! I haven't seen the scale pointer (I use a doctor's scale since I work at a medical facility) move to the left in over two years. :Pinkbounc

8/16/03: I still wasn't feeling good this day. I had definitely come down with the stomach flu because I had body aches to go along with the abdominal pain. Oh well, no excuse to eat what I shouldn't.

Breakfast-Two eggs, two strips of bacon, water.
Lunch-Didn't feel well, so didn't eat.
Dinner-Salisbury steak, 1/2 cup broccoli, Fruit20 (fruit flavored water 0 carbs).
Snack-Two slces of ham with cream cheese, mmm!

I tried a strawberry Atkins shake. Yuck! Maybe next time I'll try vanilla with some ice.

8/17/03: It's 11:24 p.m. so I might was well post what I ate today instead of doing it tomorrow. I feel a lot better today so I think I'm about over that bug I had.

Breakfast-Two eggs, two slices of bacon, Fruit20.
Snack-One slice of ham with cream cheese.
Lunch-Didn't eat.
Dinner-Two cups of salad since I didn't eat lunch, ranch dressing, a cup of soup with cabbage, squash and zucchini, ice tea.

On a side note: I wasn't at work today so I didn't weigh myself. I obsessively weigh in every morning at work on a doctor's scale. I usually work Mon.-Sat. Technically I could have gone to the office anyway to weigh myself since I only live 3 minutes away but I figured I should wait until Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I've lost about seven pounds. As of Sat. morning I had lost 5. Nighty-night.:o

Good morning! Hope you're feeling better and you're over the stomach bug. Have you tried any of the other Atkins products? I made some muffins with their mix and they were as heavy (and as flavorful--made with Splenda) as baseballs! I haven't been brave enough to try the baking mix since!:)

Just wanted to wish you well and to tell you that your success this week has motivated me to keep up with a low carb plan!

You know, I was just about to buy the Atkins bake mix as well but have been feeling skeptical. I pretty much stay away from substitute type products because to me, if they don't taste good, they're not worth eating and so I just do without. So far the only thing I like is the apple crunch Morning Start bar. I thought about trying the pancake mix next week, but we'll see.

Thank you so much for your kind words, you brought a big smile to my face. All the others on these boards have been a big motivation for me as well. I think there's a sense of comraderie. That's why I decided to journal here instead of on the Atkins website. Best wishes in your endeavors Lulu!:D

8/18/03: I felt pretty good today. I'm starting to actually feel the weight loss now. I put on a skirt that I haven't worn for a month and it doesn't fit loose, but it's definitely not as tight as it was. I didn't measure myself when I first started the diet. I went to Target last night get a tape measure but of course they didn't have any! :rolleyes:

Breakfast-Morning Start bar, water.
Lunch-Chicken/beef with a spicy sauce over salad greens and sour cream, Crystal Light.
Dinner-One thick pork chop, 1/2 cup of salad, Crystal Light. My husband had vanilla ice cream tonight and it looked soooo good. Oh well!

Can't wait to begin my exercise program. I should be able to start next Monday morning. Now I get to go out and buy myself a couple of work out clothes.:teeth:

I'm glad you're doing so well! This is my 17th day on Protein Power (a lot like Atkins). I've lost 5 pounds after 2 weeks.

I started off a few pounds heavier than you and I'm 5'4". My goal is to reach about 150. This is going to take me quite a while since my metabolism is so slow even though I've been exercising.

The older you get, the slower the metabolism. Oh, well. I haven't cheated at all but I never ate all that much sugar to start with so I didn't have the cravings. I was a peanut butter addict.

There are a lot of good recipes for low carbs. Just look at the beginning of the WISH board. The "potato salad" (Aunt Helen's, I think) was wonderful!

Keep on posting. There's a lot of inspiration here.

__hr_Tenita7.jpg

I posted this link on the WISH Family Photos thread. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the image in my post. I was 224 pounds in this picture which is what I weighed last week when I started Atkins. BTW, I'm the one standing to the far left with the long brown hair wearing glasses and a black blouse with a gold lace trim. In a couple of months I'll post another photo for comparison.

Originally posted by Castillo Mom
__hr_Tenita7.jpg

I posted this link on the WISH Family Photos thread. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the image in my post. I was 224 pounds in this picture which is what I weighed last week when I started Atkins. BTW, I'm the one standing to the far left with the long brown hair wearing glasses and a black blouse with a gold lace trim. In a couple of months I'll post another photo for comparison.

Thanks for the info on the Advantage bars! I don't get it myself and when I see something with 19 carbs or something, right now, I run! LOL I have so much to learn. I think sometimes for me it would be easier to stay on induction...and just eat what the book allows...not too hard for me to figure out! I know that's not practical though!

I tried to see your picture, but the link didn't work for me...

Great job, by the way!!! I'm starting to feel MUCH better than I did last week...less grumpy and more energy...do you plan to stay on induction a little longer?

Karen :smooth:

I'm seriously thinking about staying on induction a little longer but I haven't comletely made up my mind yet. My 14th day of induction will be on Sunday. I really miss milk and fruit, and I was looking forward to adding my 5 carbs but I'm afraid to alter the course that I'm on for fear of slowing my weight loss.

Originally posted by Castillo Mom
I'm seriously thinking about staying on induction a little longer I really miss milk and fruit

I hear ya! I'm afraid too! I've never eaten so many vegetables in my whole life, and I really didn't eat much fruit (I really didn't eat between meals, and there was usually some form of pasta, some startch and then maybe a token veggie with dinner)...but I'm amazed at how much I long to even eat fruit...I love that I know I'm really eating healthier though, despite the fat and even without fruit!

Karen

Karen, do what you feel comfortable with. From what I was reading in the book, if after induction you're able to determine that you are not metabolically resistant, then it's perfectly ok to add the 5 carbs. It suggests that if one doesn't have a lot of weight to lose or they miss certain foods tht much, then to go ahead and add the carbs but they must be from the approved list of course. I believe I read that the list includes a cup of whole milk, and for fruit, you can start with berries. I would love to have some strawberries right now, or an ice cold glass of milk. On the other hand, I actually look forward to weighing myself now because so far, the scale pointer is continuing to move to the left! I have 77 lbs. to go to make it to 140. Decisions, decisions. I'm thinking I might make a mini goal of 199 lbs. and stay on induction until I get there. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Then I'll reevaluate my situation once I get there. Ok, it's a done deal!

Looks like you're doing really well Karen. Keep it up and add the carbs when you're ready.:D

Oops, haven't journaled today, so here goes.

8/19/03: I'm almost embarassed to journal what I ate yesterday but I know I have to. Not because I went off my diet, but because I ate the same thing for lunch and dinner and they were leftovers from the night before! My energy level continues to rise. I'm looking forward to starting my exercise program on Monday morning. My new mini goal is 199 pounds, so I have about 18 pounds to go. Hopefully I'll reach that goal by, say, the beginning of October.

Breakfast: Morning Start bar, water.
Lunch: Pork chop, salad, Crystal Light.
Dinner: Pork chop by itself, water.

You are doing so well. I started Atkins months ago and have lost a little over 10. I have not been very faithful to Mr. Atkins. So it has been slow but I'm ok with that. I know I need to exercise more and say it every week but have a hard time fitting it into my schedule. I have never tried to breakfast bars, actually looked at them this am. Bought a vanilla shake instead. I have tried the pancake mix & syrup- yuck! so bland, even with vanilla & blueberries added. I'm going to start a journal, it seems to be a real motivator.
Keep up the great job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!