Living Our Best Life-Dec 2018 (Theme Parks & Orlando DTR) Completed 2/27

Raeven

DIS Veteran
We're back from our 9th trip to Orlando, and we’re ready to review some food!

(If you’re wondering how we skipped from 7 to 9, it’s because I never write a DTR when we go to our HHN trips since they’re shorter and usually not too food focused).

We’ll cover it all: The delicious, the awful, and everything in between. We review food from both an allergy and a non allergy perspective since Josh is gluten free and I'm not.

If you want to follow along on my TR it's here:

Celebrating Grinchmas & Exploring Orlando

Introductions:

091D1EB3-F3DB-4B11-BB11-8C8E0FC26138.jpeg

My name is Raeven, and here I am eating my favorite poutine :rotfl: I'm 26 years old, and I'm the planner, photographer, and DTR writer for our trips.

My food likes include pasta, chocolate, burgers, nachos, steak, and trying all kinds of french fries. I’m not a fan of BBQ, and I don’t eat seafood. This trip my goal was to try some more food places around Orlando, while still going to some of our favorites.

6C6309FE-6A5C-4228-A291-F0A52863D5A1.jpeg

My trip partner is my boyfriend, Josh, and we celebrated his upcoming birthday with plenty of food. He’s turning 33, and is gluten free due to an allergy. His food likes include steak, BBQ, burgers, and Erin Mckennas donuts. Besides lettuce and tomato on burgers there’s not much he doesn’t like :rotfl:

Because this trip wasn’t Disney focused, I wasn’t sure about writing a DTR for this trip, but when I asked about it on my TR most people said they’d still want to hear about the places we dined. So just a warning there’s only a handful of Disney places we ate at, but several others were at other theme parks (Universal & Seaworld), and aside from that all places are driving distance from Disney or in the general area so maybe this will give some ideas to people venturing off property for food.

FF07924E-01EE-4AF0-89F5-B81D796BF87E.jpeg

As usual some food plans changed between the PTR and the trip, but we did get to all the places we were the most excited for. This DTR will have more steak than we’ve ever had on vacation (even in our last DTR about having a lot of steak :rotfl:), giant cookies, an amazing Italian place, a place we enjoyed so much we ate there twice, Seaworld Christmas snacks, some old favorites (where we tried some new things, & some new (to us) restaurants.

74C25B05-1D8F-4062-B354-35965A38CDCD.jpeg

The quote in the title is what The Situation says on Jersey Shore Family Vacation whenever he orders a bunch of food so it seemed a fitting title for this TR :rotfl: I think he’d be impressed by the amount of food we tried to eat this trip.

3C62B469-F730-4B6A-9AE0-7DFAB3AFA744.jpeg

We ate at:

Last edited:
  • ToxicRoyalty

Villain in a princess tiara
    Oh heck yea! I'm following along because people don't review Universal food enough and I'm so here for it

DLo

DIS Veteran
    I want to know which steak was the best ! I have been to Shula’s and The Palm but not STK . One oF our favorites is Capital Grille . Looking forward to reading your dining reviews.

Did you get the beignets at Another Broken Egg ? My family loves those .

And OMG the shakes at Toothsome’s. I went for the first time last month and can’t wait to go back

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Oh heck yea! I'm following along because people don't review Universal food enough and I'm so here for it
    Thank you! I agree, Universal reviews are a lot harder to come by. At this point we've eaten at a lot of places on Universal property, but I only started adding them to my reviews last year.

I want to know which steak was the best ! I have been to Shula’s and The Palm but not STK . One oF our favorites is Capital Grille . Looking forward to reading your dining reviews.
    We actually had differing opinions on the best steak. We've still never gotten to Bull and Bear either, but someday when we're back in Orlando I'd love to try that one too.

Did you get the beignets at Another Broken Egg ? My family loves those .
    No we didn't! Josh can't have them, and we honestly ordered so much food that I don't think I would've had room for them on my own :rotfl:

And OMG the shakes at Toothsome’s. I went for the first time last month and can’t wait to go back
    Spoiler alert, I liked the strawberry cheesecake one I've had in the past better than the one I got this time. I think half of it was it basically just seemed like a dish of ice cream, and the other half was I spilled some of it on my pants :laughing: For some reason I love going there, but I haven't had much luck with the entrees I order, but dessert/milkshakes they're definitely good at.

• kastoney

Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm
    You know I'm not gonna miss this one. I don't know too much about US food, but I'm totally ready to order whatever those big plates of food are in front of you.

• Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Yep, definitely here for this! :thumbsup2
    I'm excited to read all your reviews!
    Awesome, can't wait to read all about it! :)
    Thanks for following along! :wave2:

Also following this one! Waiting with bated breath for the dessert restaurant!
    That might be a tricky one to write because the names of things aren't all appropriate, but I'll let you know all about it :rotfl:

You know I'm not gonna miss this one. I don't know too much about US food, but I'm totally ready to order whatever those big plates of food are in front of you.
    :rotfl: welcome! I think I remember you saying you liked carpaccio before, in Josh's picture in the intro he's eating carpaccio at Bice, and he said Bice was the best meal he ever had so it must've been good!

Sounds a lot like my choices for October 2019....Following along
    Thanks for following!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Daily Poutine & Polite Pig/Amorettes + Airport Snacks

So I figured I should start this DTR so I can start my TR which will have links to these posts in it.

A little bonus to this post is some airport food! :cheer2: Of course you all want to hear about that, because what isn't exciting about hitting up the airport Starbucks?

Luckily this was the one in our home airport, and not the horrible one in MCO we went to when we landed in May. So our very exciting morning purchases were: Fiji water, Josh's coffee, and my breakfast sandwich that I somehow didn't get in the picture :rotfl:

(Well don't lower them too much, I took pictures of everything else :rotfl:)

I was pleasantly surprised to find they had the old breakfast sandwiches back (with gouda instead of cheddar), they weren't on the menu (at this one but I did see them on a menu in Universal), but they actually didn't even have the cheddar one anymore. Aside from the bacon being a bit chewy this was good. I also got a water in an attempt to drink less before getting on the plane (since you usually have to finish a Starbucks drink before it gets too melty) since I always sit by the window and always have to disturb everyone to use the bathroom....well this plan did not work at all because I somehow ended up using the bathroom twice on the flight which I think is a new record for me considering it's not that long of a flight :rotfl:

tenor.gif

When we got to Orlando, we checked into the Dolphin, and then headed to DS for lunch because our room wasn't ready yet. It was later than I had planned to have lunch, and we had a big dinner coming up so we just went for something light. I went to the Daily Poutine to get the:

Classic Poutine
    French Fries, Beef Poutine Gravy and Cheddar Curds

About a year ago I tried this on a trip, and I've gotten it every trip since then. I will say though this time the gravy was maybe a little bit more watery/thin than usual. I think @SweetSerenity mentioned it in her DTR recently that she got one like that too. (And I did lighten the picture a little, but even if you make it darker you can tell that the gravy isn't very brown). I still thought it was very good though, and it's still my favorite poutine. Like I've mentioned before we have a serious lack of poutine around here, and even when we travel I have trouble finding places with poutine on the menu. (I know some places have "takes" on poutine, but to me a lot of those are just fries with stuff on top which can be good, but I also wouldn't call it poutine).

Aw, it's poutine and I's one year anniversary :lovestruc We're very happy.

Josh decided to go to the Polite Pig. He got their brisket which he also got last December. He hasn't been able to get it any other time since because usually there's a long line in Polite Pig. He loves this brisket, and usually manages to negotiate the price down because he can't have any of the sides, and the sides are included in the prices.

USDA Prime Brisket
    Coffee Rub USDA Prime Brisket served with Jalapeño Cornbread, Signature Polite Slaw and choice of one Market Side

Afterwards we stopped at Erin Mckenna's where Josh picked up some donuts/coffee cake etc that he didn't really eat until we got home so I didn't take any pictures, and we also stopped at Amorette's.

In my prior experience with Amorette's seasonal desserts they can be really good or go horribly wrong. In 2016 I had a really awesome red velvet mini dome cake they had for Christmas with cream cheese frosting, last year I had a terrible monstrosity that tasted like gummies and bourbon.

200.gif

I'm happy to say this year was the tie breaker, and this dessert was good.

I didn't check if they had a seasonal cake this year, but I did hear about some holiday macarons. I think they had 2, one of which might have been a Mickey one, and the other was this one:

I'm going to guess the scarf was fondant and probably didn't taste too good, but it fell since it wasn't really attached so I didn't eat it. The filling in this macaron was a chocolate/marshmallow filling, and I really enjoyed it, plus it was really cute.

Food Budget-1180
    Estimated Cost (All)-74
    Money Spent-64 + 8 for a ridiculously priced coffee at Fuel
    Under-2
    Leftover-1108

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
    I'm very new to trying poutine, but will be trying more the next time I'm near a restaurant that serves it since I loved the one I tried. I love the Gouda cheese on the starbucks sandwich. I haven't had it in a long time, I didn't realize it had been taken off the menu. Glad it's back. I went to the Polite Pig once and had a great meal, definitely going back there in the future.

Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    Aw, it's poutine and I's one year anniversary :lovestruc We're very happy.
    So happy for the two of you! I see a very long future ahead together :laughing: ;) But for real... poutine is amazing and we should see WAY more of it in NY than we do :sad2:

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
    Like I've mentioned before we have a serious lack of poutine around here, and even when we travel I have trouble finding places with poutine on the menu. (I know some places have "takes" on poutine, but to me a lot of those are just fries with stuff on top which can be good, but I also wouldn't call it poutine).
    Yeah, you need to get proper cheese curds for the best poutine! Or just enough melty cheese you can't tell the difference!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I'm very new to trying poutine, but will be trying more the next time I'm near a restaurant that serves it since I loved the one I tried. I love the Gouda cheese on the starbucks sandwich. I haven't had it in a long time, I didn't realize it had been taken off the menu. Glad it's back. I went to the Polite Pig once and had a great meal, definitely going back there in the future.
    Yeah I used to get the Starbucks sandwich every time we flew, but sometime last year it seemed to disappear (at least from the one in our airport) replaced by the cheddar one that wasn't as good. This trip they had it again, and I noticed it in one of the Orlando Starbucks too.

So happy for the two of you! I see a very long future ahead together :laughing: ;) But for real... poutine is amazing and we should see WAY more of it in NY than we do :sad2:
    :rotfl: .

Yes! I've had maybe 2 kinds of poutine in the area, and neither of them were really actual poutine. Plus once I had disco fries, but that's just melted cheese and gravy, and I wasn't crazy about it. But that's it! You'd think there'd maybe be a bit more somewhere, but I have a hard time finding it locally and when we go on vacation.

Yeah, you need to get proper cheese curds for the best poutine! Or just enough melty cheese you can't tell the difference!
    Yes, yum!

Yay! A report!

My poutine was thin, but I had the Italian version. The gravy on the classic was good.

The little snowman is adorable!
    Thanks for following! Ooo okay, yeah our gravy was good, but I noticed it was a lighter/thinner than usual.

I am hear and following along. I have to go back and ready what you posted so far. But I am here!!!!!
    Thanks for following :wave2:

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.