Living/Training in the Heat

SebastianMichael

Earning My Ears
Hey!

So I'm running the half in 2017. I know Florida (even in the winter) is hot for a lot of people, but I'm from Puerto Rico, so winter Orlando weather is actually quite cold for me. Very cold, at times actually. I know the weather in Orlando fluctuates like crazy, but I want to plan as though it'll be cold (for reference, anything below... let's say 60, so I don't sound too pathetic :rotfl2: probably closer to anything below 70, honestly, is what I consider cold) since one of those weird heat waves in January would be no different than running at home for me.

My concern is really just how the change in climate might affect me. I know what people tend to say is that pace will usually go down when running in cooler weather, I'm just concerned that'll be cancelled out by how unused to the chill my body might be. So if there's anyone that lives somewhere that's... between 80 - 90 year round more or less (that's what I'm dealing with here in PR) and they could share their experience, that'd be amazing!

If not, could someone perhaps share how they dress for runs when it's a little cooler out. I know I'll heat up once I start running (and I plan on bringing a disposable jacket for the corral wait) but I dress to run in crazy heat, so I think even with warming up, I'd still be cold with what I wear down here in PR!

Thanks so much

- Sebby

Not the same normal temps you run in, but I'm in Seattle, so normal for me is 40's to low 60's, maybe mid 60's during a heat wave in the summer. The few times I ran when it was in the 30's my biggest issue was when I had to stop to, take my glove off to dig my chapstick out of my pocket, it was cold enough and I was stopped long enough the warmth I had gotten from running was gone and I was cold the rest of the run, I never warmed back up. And I run 1/1 intervals, I'm not running the whole time but had been moving enough I was fine.
The biggest thing with the cold is knowing how to layer, if it's cold enough for fleece but not too bad I wear short sleeves under it, more cold and it's long sleeves. No gloves unless it's close to freezing because my hands get too hot.

I think the throw away coral jacket is a good idea, I'm doing wine & dine in Nov and I'll have one, but I get cold easy. The only suggestion I can give is layers and either be ok with running hot, tying the jacket around your waist or using a throw away jacket in case you get too hot running. I would rather run a bit hot than be cold trying to warm up.

Good luck!

It's not going to be nearly as bad as you think it is. I've spent the past five years living and training in Qatar, Dubai, and Iraq, and dealing with the weather in Florida is not a big deal. You should always dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is because your body will heat up fast once you're running. This means you'll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt or singlet unless a freak cold front comes in. Sure, you might want to wear an old sweatshirt and sweatpants to keep the chill off you before the start, but you won't need any jackets or long sleeves during the race. 60 might feel cold to you if you're not running, but when you are, you'll be plenty warm enough.

@afan I'll definitely talk to some of the local runners about how they layer when they go off to the States for races, thank you! Good luck in November!

@FFigawi That's good to know, thanks. I think the reason I'm so nervous about it all is the only time I've ran in the cold (well, cold for me) was only about 4 miles and the worst 4 miles I've done because I felt hot on the inside but everything else was just still too cold and not sweating properly, so I wasn't cooling off properly either. Buuuut that was a weird morning, so I'm hoping everything goes smoothly come January. But you're definitely living in hotter conditions than I am (at least in the summer if my knowledge of geography and climate isn't completely off??) so that's still reassuring to hear. Thanks!

... I know what people tend to say is that pace will usually go down when running in cooler weather...
This is factually incorrect. If you train in really hot weather and run in cooler weather your pace increases with the same effort applied. It is science, not supposition. Now, if the temps drop below 20 degrees you might struggle if you are not dressed properly, but not at FL temps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter