Lizards in the bedroom!!

Not a week goes by without something coming in our house, whether its a bug, lizard, or frog. They move just as fast as us- open door for us is an open door for them. And as far as screen doors, it’s way too hot more than half the year for that. Screened back porches aka lanais? Yes. Screen doors/sliding doors? No. I haven’t seen any house with screen doors down here. I’m sure there’s some but it’s not the norm.

SW fla here... orig from the NE and it was def a change with critters, lol

The Geckos are harmless and we ve given Up on getting them out of the lanai area ( outdoor pool screen area). Now....if you saw the latest 5’ snake in the lanai last week.. UGH! That was awful.. for both the totally frightened snake ( he was a harmless garden variety) and my poor hubby trying to get him Out the screen door to the yard, Not easy!
Needless to say...he replaced the thingy at bottom of the screen door to remove that Tiny gap and re checked All the way around the lanai.. and I made him buy this Stuff that goes outside perimeter to Allegedly detract them from crossing. Fingers crossed. Heard they like to Swim!! I don’t want to share the pool! ( and I don’t leave that rear wall sliders Open for fresh air much anymore)
But... this is Fla... the lake has Gators ( which I loathe), coyotes and wild turkeys come out of the Everglades, Geckos and Big frogs are ever present, we’ve had black bears ( another loathe) down our street and even a small scorpion on my lr chair ( yes... I took a pix, sent it to my bug guy.. yup, he’s on retainer lol) was told it was a fluke as we had lots of construction going on and contractors in/out at the time.
Anyway... if a gecko changed ur entire vacation vibe..I’d say Fla not ur cup of tea.
As for me.... the Plusses of Fla Living Greatly Outweigh the ... co- inhabitants. Vigilance is a part of life here.

What I've found remarkable are the toads. They are not attractive and hardly move even if you try to "shoo" them.
On that same trip as the lizards, we were moved to the Paddock area of SSR (this again was 2009--I met a friend for a late night drink and came back about midnight. The lawn had just been watered and there were HUNDREDS of frogs/toads on the lawn. It was like something out of a horror movie. Didn't scare me but was startling--wish I had taken a pic now! Never have seen that again (although there was one frog on the path about 11 p.m. coming back from Disney Springs in April).

And if lizards freak you out, maybe being a Florida property owner isn't for you. Because we also have Palmetto bugs that occasionally get in the house.
And that friend, is my internal struggle. The fear of those palmetto bugs wins over my love of sunshine and Mickey each time I try to think about it. DH tells me I will get used to it but I am highly doubtful.

I have learned to like the Anole though. They are the highlight of each trip for my 10 yo, ever since she first saw them.

So I had to google what a palmetto bug is--it's basically a cockraoch? Aren't there cockroaches all over the U.S.? I know I've seen some in California (along with crickets).

Palmetto bugs are huge roaches that can fly. And they scare the bejeesus out of you every time they remind you of that ability.

They are also the reason everyone who lives in this state needs a pest control service. :P

Re: Palmetto Bugs...a friend from the NE was staying with us and she comes down in the morning and very casually asks if we have, um, kinda big flying cockroaches. It was so funny how she tried to seem low key about it. And, yes, shes come back to visit since then.

Heard they like to Swim!! I don’t want to share the pool!

We had a Copperhead in our pool this summer. I can deal with a lot but not a fan of venomous stuff.

The same happened to us.... but our lizard wasnt caught it went behind the bed and we had to sleep there still!! I was uncomfortable about it but I would have left if it was a spider! x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!