Local Foods?

What are some local foods that others might find odd?

Scrapple

Pig Stomach

Sweet Breads (I think this is local. My mom loved it)

Not odd but Kolache. And NOT the sausage wrapped in dough. That is a Klobasnek. (disclaimer: I may have some spellings wrong). Kolache are sweet filled. If it's not sweet, it's not Kolache :) And my Grandmother would make it as a pie rather than the small version.

New England Brown Bread - so good w hot dogs and beans, warmed w butter.
Has a molasses flavor and soft, almost gooey texture. (Now I want some!)

d929cb9bdeb9563e27a08a019ea35008.jpg

I only had them once, I don’t see them on menus here often.

Weird, I've had them in cities all over the US/Western Europe. They used to frequently have them as part of the V&A menu, but I haven't been there in a couple of years:( I do like them, so I may be more on the lookout.

Fluffernutter-I was never a fan but my dad loved them and one of my kids liked them too when she was younger.

Never heard of those until on got on these boards. I guess it is a Northeastern thing, since that where Fluff brand Marshmallow creme is sold. That brand has some loyal followers on this board. I grew up with Kraft Marshmallow creme, and that was only used for making fudge at Christmas. Brilliant marketing on the part of Fluff, building a loyal following for such a generic food item.
Walmart didn't start opening stores in California until the 1990s, and that is the only place I have ever seen Fluff brand out here. It quickly made it's way to the closeout shelf, people just don't know that brand out west.

Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup, which is a hearty stew featuring beef tripe. My great-aunt Gloria used to make it on New Year's Day. I loaaaathe tripe, so I used to just eat around it because the stew itself was actually yummy.

Never heard of those until on got on these boards. I guess it is a Northeastern thing, since that where Fluff brand Marshmallow creme is sold. That brand has some loyal followers on this board. I grew up with Kraft Marshmallow creme, and that was only used for making fudge at Christmas.

Interesting. I never knew that Fluff was a regional product; just assumed it was sold throughout the US. Also never knew there was any other brand. I never liked it, even as a kid, but my best friend in elementary school ate fluffernutter sandwiches every day for 5 or 6 years. Almost 50 years later, I can still sing the fluffernutter song from the commercial!

Although I haven’t seen the commercial in ages, it’s readily available in every supermarket here and my family still uses it to make fudge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter