Local Foods?

:thumbsup2 Good one! I don't think of it as regional; they're ubiquitously Canadian, just like butter tarts. I tried to think of something unique and local to where I grew up or where I live now and I can't come up with a thing. :confused3
I know the Canadians would know what they were, but as I'm from Vancouver Island they also regional to me.

I think it’s a Pittsburgh/PA thing to put french fries on a salad.

Also, Mallocups! I am not sure how popular those are in other states but they are made in PA and are delicious.

Also, Mallocups! I am not sure how popular those are in other states but they are made in PA and are delicious.

I loved Mallocups when I was a kid. I tried one a couple of years ago and it was just way too sweet for me. I'm in NY State, by the way.

:thumbsup2 Good one! I don't think of it as regional; they're ubiquitously Canadian, just like butter tarts. I tried to think of something unique and local to where I grew up or where I live now and I can't come up with a thing. :confused3

Oh, they are Canadian to me here in California. My mom would send her older sister and her family a 5 pound box of See's candy, and the next year the box would come back filled with home made Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, short breads and slices of dark and light fruit cake.

I enjoyed Mallo Cups in South Carolina in the ‘60s and ‘70s for school lunches but they seemed to have disappeared from stores since then. Something must have happened to their distribution or else they lost enough popularity to be found nationally. I only see them at Cracker Barrel in the “old timey “ candy section.

Interesting. I never knew that Fluff was a regional product; just assumed it was sold throughout the US. Also never knew there was any other brand. I never liked it, even as a kid, but my best friend in elementary school ate fluffernutter sandwiches every day for 5 or 6 years. Almost 50 years later, I can still sing the fluffernutter song from the commercial!

Although I haven’t seen the commercial in ages, it’s readily available in every supermarket here and my family still uses it to make fudge.

I hate peanut butter, so no fluffernutters for me. I do eat Fluff by itself or it's great in hot chocolate.

I hate peanut butter, so no fluffernutters for me. I do eat Fluff by itself or it's great in hot chocolate.

LOL, I’m the opposite. I like peanut butter, but hate marshmallow. I’ve heard of people making fluffernutters with Nutella instead of peanut butter; you might like that. They also now make a pink, strawberry-flavored fluff.

It looks somewhat like a cake but It's far more dense than a what we would call a cake here in the states. I think they refer to it as a sponge pudding. It's made from suet pastry dough and dried currants or raisins. It's nasty.
It’s a steamed sponge cake with raisins, served with a custard sauce (or a hard sauce). Made with butter instead of suet it’s heavenly, similar in texture to cornbread with raisins added. Here’s one recipe I’ve used.

Then again, my husband’s urologist had a can imported from Britain on the bookshelf in his office.

Whole belly fried clams. :cloud9:

o.0.jpg

We have regional things but not odd by any stretch. Breakfast tacos come to mind. You can buy them at Mexican restaurants or bbq joints.

There’s a gas station just south of downtown Dallas (you can see the high rises) right off the freeway that borders downtown. They sell amazing elotes and breakfast and street tacos. The station is famous for having it’s own herd of Longhorns.

If you want to have a true Texas gas station food experience though you need to visit Buc-ees.

The largest state fair is in Dallas as well. The fair is famous for all of the crazy fried foods that debuted in the vendor competition.

I loved Mallocups when I was a kid. I tried one a couple of years ago and it was just way too sweet for me. I'm in NY State, by the way.
I was 300 miles from the car on a bicycle in upper NY State sitting in a restaurant for lunch. My buddy says, "Wonder if they'll think I'm weird if I ask for french fries on my salad." At the same time a waitress was walking past me, paused and pointed to my menu, "The Pittsburgh salad is right there."

And I loved Mallowcups along with Clark bars when I was a kid. Halloween was great because none of the other kids liked Clark bars and everyone gave them out. I could get 5-6 Clark bars for a single peanut butter cup.

French fries and coleslaw on sandwiches too. That's a Pittsburgh thing.

I was 300 miles from the car on a bicycle in upper NY State sitting in a restaurant for lunch. My buddy says, "Wonder if they'll think I'm weird if I ask for french fries on my salad." At the same time a waitress was walking past me, paused and pointed to my menu, "The Pittsburgh salad is right there."

And I loved Mallowcups along with Clark bars when I was a kid. Halloween was great because none of the other kids liked Clark bars and everyone gave them out. I could get 5-6 Clark bars for a single peanut butter cup.

French fries and coleslaw on sandwiches too. That's a Pittsburgh thing.
That reminds me of another local favorite, the sloppy joe https://www.tastecooking.com/new-jersey-sloppy-joe-not-sloppy-joe-know/

Sonoran hot dogs. A hot dog wrapped in bacon then topped with pinto beans, sour cream, Mexican guacamole (runny guacamole, not chunky), Pico de Gallo. Plus you can add pickled red onion, jalapeños, more salsa, etc.

We found a great place (Boston owned) in Fort Myers that has them on their menu - it's a regular stop for us every year when we're there for spring break. :thumbsup2
Do you get the clams? :teeth: I like them at the beginning of the season, like now, when the fryer oil is nice and fresh, but if I get a bad one, then I'm done for a while, lol. It's always kind of funny sharing a seafood platter w DH because he'll eat them, but a little cautiously. :lmao:

Do you get the clams? :teeth: I like them at the beginning of the season, like now, when the fryer oil is nice and fresh, but if I get a bad one, then I'm done for a while, lol. It's always kind of funny sharing a seafood platter w DH because he'll eat them, but a little cautiously. :lmao:

That's about the only reason we go there! :D

Springfield Cashew Chicken.
Not odd but Kolache. And NOT the sausage wrapped in dough. That is a Klobasnek. (disclaimer: I may have some spellings wrong). Kolache are sweet filled. If it's not sweet, it's not Kolache :) And my Grandmother would make it as a pie rather than the small version.
OMG yes!! DH has an aunt id Iowa that makes these to perfection. In fact no one wants any kind of christmas or birthday presents just her kolaches!!
Lefse, hotdish, Jucy Lucy
Dying!! I read this without seeing your user name and immediately thought "Minnesota or Wisconsin". I Love love love love lefse! Introduced my kids to it at Epcot. They still think I am crazy LOL! but rolled with butter and sugar was my childhood after school snack!
We do however have a large Czech area and their kolaches are to die for. I haven't seen these anywhere else yet.
Yeah when we lived in Dallas there was a bakery that had just opened advertising kolaches-I went and got several dozen to take to work. NO one had heard of them at all! But they were very good!

And now I am craving sweet kolaches and lefse....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!