Local Foods?

Springfield Cashew Chicken.

Dying!! I read this without seeing your user name and immediately thought "Minnesota or Wisconsin". I Love love love love lefse! Introduced my kids to it at Epcot. They still think I am crazy LOL! but rolled with butter and sugar was my childhood after school snack!

And now I am craving sweet kolaches and lefse....

YEP! With butter and sugar it is just...comfort. I absolutely LOVE it! I wish I was patient enough to make it myself..

Fried organ meat is the way I most commonally have had sweetbreads. Yum!

Gotcha, just making sure. :tongue:

When I worked in KY we were next door to a hoity toity old money country club that let us bring visitors to eat lunch in the bar (we weren't allowed in the actual restaurant since we weren't members). They served a complete menu of old fashioned KY dishes. For some reason all of the out of town people would want to order the Lamb Fries. How obnoxious the guest had been determined whether we told them before they ordered or after they had eaten them what they actually were. :crazy2:

I love whole belly clams, didn't realize they were regional! I am also a big fan of B&M canned brown bread. My nana used to slice it and fry it in butter to go with beans and hot dogs (not red ones).
How about Moxie and fiddleheads? I have to say, they are some of the very few foods on my "I'd rather be dead than eat" list. Moxie usually gets pretty negative reviews, but folks up here LOVE fiddleheads!

Gotcha, just making sure. :tongue:

When I worked in KY we were next door to a hoity toity old money country club that let us bring visitors to eat lunch in the bar (we weren't allowed in the actual restaurant since we weren't members). They served a complete menu of old fashioned KY dishes. For some reason all of the out of town people would want to order the Lamb Fries. How obnoxious the guest had been determined whether we told them before they ordered or after they had eaten them what they actually were. :crazy2:

Oh, I know what I'm eating. Again, I say YUM!

Aren’t sweet breads like Cinnabons?:love2:

I'm a weird one who wouldn't be caught dead with a cinnabon, but I'm fine with offal. 2 bites of one of those cinnabons (and a number of other sweet treats) and I can feel my teeth rotting in my head and being just coated in yuck. My dentist loves me:)

I love whole belly clams, didn't realize they were regional! I am also a big fan of B&M canned brown bread. My nana used to slice it and fry it in butter to go with beans and hot dogs (not red ones).
How about Moxie and fiddleheads? I have to say, they are some of the very few foods on my "I'd rather be dead than eat" list. Moxie usually gets pretty negative reviews, but folks up here LOVE fiddleheads!

Fiddlehead ferns? I only came across this in the last probably 10 years and I really enjoy them. Didn't know they were regional. I'll be on the lookout:) I'm trying to figure out what Moxie is, and google has failed me. Is it a soda? I love learning about new foods!

Fiddlehead ferns? I only came across this in the last probably 10 years and I really enjoy them. Didn't know they were regional. I'll be on the lookout:) I'm trying to figure out what Moxie is, and google has failed me. Is it a soda? I love learning about new foods!
Moxie is a soda native to Maine, but available in much of eastern New England, with a very medicinal flavor from gentian violet. It makes Beverly taste like a Dole Whip.

Moxie is a soda native to Maine, but available in much of eastern New England, with a very medicinal flavor from gentian violet. It makes Beverly taste like a Dole Whip.
Not the person you were replying to, but now I’m inspired to try Moxie. I love Beverly but don’t care for Dole Whips!

Not the person you were replying to, but now I’m inspired to try Moxie. I love Beverly but don’t care for Dole Whips!
Don't take my comparison too literally. Beverly is simply bitter, like the pity of grapefruit or like tonic water. Moxie is vile.

Yup, fiddlehead ferns. It's the season right now- every road has a stand of folks selling fiddleheads. I think they taste like dirt/mold. Everyone else I know RAVES about them!

Don't take my comparison too literally. Beverly is simply bitter, like the pity of grapefruit or like tonic water. Moxie is vile.

Believe it or not, Moxie tastes better now than it did when I was a kid. It's hard to describe... but it's all the "bad tastes" rolled into one- bitter, sour, medicinal. Have you ever had horehound candy? I bet there's horehound in Moxie- and of course gentian root. It was a lot harsher, more astringent, when I was a kid than now. I'm good for a small glass just for fun, but it's really pretty vile. However, my nephew ADORES it, for some unknown reason. Strange kid!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

Believe it or not, Moxie tastes better now than it did when I was a kid. It's hard to describe... but it's all the "bad tastes" rolled into one- bitter, sour, medicinal. Have you ever had horehound candy? I bet there's horehound in Moxie- and of course gentian root. It was a lot harsher, more astringent, when I was a kid than now. I'm good for a small glass just for fun, but it's really pretty vile. However, my nephew ADORES it, for some unknown reason. Strange kid!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie
I’ve had horehound candy, but don’t recall it being particularly medicinal. I’ll have to include a batch the next time I order from Lofty Pursuits. It’s in their rare flavor and their humbug collections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!