Locals sentiment towards tourism coming back?

Noah_t

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear locals opinions on when they feel it would be an appropriate time to start welcoming tourists again? Without requiring any sort of quarantine of course and what measures you locals would like to see in place? Basically when will us Haole's be allowed to visit your home again?

Google Hawaii Coronavirus and you will see lots of articles. I have been trying to keep up on their news cycles with our upcoming trip. Read the comment sections and you can see many don’t want mainlanders visiting

without some kind of quarantine...after a vaccine or a 90%+ effective treatment is widely available would be the earliest to avoid protests...too many tests have been found to be faulty weeks after being pressed into widespread use (to be expected out of any product rushed that much) to really depend on those.

quarantine doesn't necessarily need to be as strict as being confined to a hotel room...if planned and implemented properly it may be possible to have direct transport to/from specified resort areas (no car rentals/taxis/uber) and use some hotels as testing/quarantine/temp housing for hotel staff. it might allow for something like a re-open of some ko'olina hotels, and waikiki...and allow guests to roam within their resort area...but only be allowed out to be transported back to the airport (with airport/transport staff using the airport hotels for testing/etc.). wouldn't allow for exploring the island or doing any of the major attractions on any island...but I'd imagine something like that would be palatable for most in hawaii...getting the state/hotels/etc. to agree on any of that may not be possible tho.

one of the bigger problems (excluding people sneaking out...not just tourists...workers too) with this would be that airlines/hotels wouldn't be forced to cancel flights/rooms so getting refunds if this sort of thing isn't of interest would be far more difficult.

it shouldn't be too much longer before disney and/or universal start announcing at least first phase re-open plans (I believe universal has already sent out surveys to random people to gauge how many restrictions people would be willing to accept). so that should provide a good idea as to what to expect other tourist heavy locations to impose.

A co-worker of mine has a mother who works for Alaska - they're generally only running air cargo to Hawaii these days. They've been told not to leave the planes and since the crews cant disembark, they've been running with two crews per flight - on a recent trip she went to the terminal to change out of her uniform and into normal cloths for the trip back against advice - there were many protesters as well as police equipped with assault rifles to keep the peace. It sounded totally crazy.

without some kind of quarantine...after a vaccine or a 90%+ effective treatment is widely available would be the earliest to avoid protests...too many tests have been found to be faulty weeks after being pressed into widespread use (to be expected out of any product rushed that much) to really depend on those.

quarantine doesn't necessarily need to be as strict as being confined to a hotel room...if planned and implemented properly it may be possible to have direct transport to/from specified resort areas (no car rentals/taxis/uber) and use some hotels as testing/quarantine/temp housing for hotel staff. it might allow for something like a re-open of some ko'olina hotels, and waikiki...and allow guests to roam within their resort area...but only be allowed out to be transported back to the airport (with airport/transport staff using the airport hotels for testing/etc.). wouldn't allow for exploring the island or doing any of the major attractions on any island...but I'd imagine something like that would be palatable for most in hawaii...getting the state/hotels/etc. to agree on any of that may not be possible tho.

one of the bigger problems (excluding people sneaking out...not just tourists...workers too) with this would be that airlines/hotels wouldn't be forced to cancel flights/rooms so getting refunds if this sort of thing isn't of interest would be far more difficult.

it shouldn't be too much longer before disney and/or universal start announcing at least first phase re-open plans (I believe universal has already sent out surveys to random people to gauge how many restrictions people would be willing to accept). so that should provide a good idea as to what to expect other tourist heavy locations to impose.
This is a pretty interesting idea. Maybe requiring contact tracing or some kind of location tracing app. Hawaii just like a large amount of other places might need to get real creative to get the economy going again.
Here in Vancouver Canada we are struggling too. I am lucky to have a job considered essential as longshoremen but we will be suffering without cruise ships. That's a huge employment opportunity, especially for a lot of our casuals. I hope we get this economy going again and soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter