locked luggage

katypop

DIS Veteran
hi all,
we just got back from wonderful 10 day trip to wdw. we flew for the first time and i wasn't sure if we should lock our luggage or not. i decided to lock all three pieces we checked, but when we went to claim them after the flight only two still had locks. the third lock was missing. when i checked inside everything was there, but it was obvious someone had gone through the bag, everything was out of place. so i guess if security decides to look they will, even if you're not around to unlock it for them. i had ten envelopes made up with housekeeping money in them, a mixture of coin and bills, so perhaps the metal detector drew attention to our bag?? the envelopes were all there though, not opened or missing. the only other thing in the bag besides clothing was extra film and disposble cameras. so....to lock or not???we lost a new lock, not very pricey but i probably won't bother next trip.

katypop:)

Katy,
In the US they cannot and will not open a bag without you being there, locked or not.
And....they put the stuff back almost the same way they find it.
I would call your airline and speak to someone about this breech.

They can and do search bags with out you being there. All bags are subject to search and I had a very similar experience as Katypop.

They actuall broke my zipper pull in an attempt to get one of the locks I had put on my checked luggage. They were VERY good about repacking everything neatly but it was evident that the bag had been gone through. This was an Airtran flight from Atlanta to Houston the weekend after Valentines dat, and when I asked about it upon arrival, they informed me that something probably triggered the search but it could of been just a random event as well.

They very kindlly reminded me that ALL luggage was subject to search and while they make every effort to not cause damage they pointed to the sign that said they were no responsible for any damage and smiled.

Sadly I think its just part of the new world for us Americans. People over seas have had to put up with this for years.

thanks for the heads up on this, I was told that they would page you if your bags were subject to a search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter