London Escape?

I am sorry your first international trip didn’t go well. My first international trip was a ten day solo trip to London, and it was great. I will admit to being a little nervous about figuring out transportation, but it all went fine. While I think the OP could get more bang for their buck (pound?) by going on their own, I also understand wanting to splurge and leave the grunt work to someone else when celebrating a special occasion. London is a great city to explore, and has something for just about everyone.
I agree. I think transportation in London is pretty darn easy. Just watch the opposite way for vehicles. My other recommendation would be to take a screenshot of the route/stops you are taking with transfers that you will need on the Underground as they don't have service in many locations underground. This way you always have your step by step guide.

Download Tube Map- London Underground app. Then just put in your destination and it tells you where to change etc.
If you have a contactless credit card, Apple Pay or google pay just touch on the reader when you go in and out of station turn styles and it charges you the lowest possible fare automatically. No need for Oyster cards nowadays.

I agree. I think transportation in London is pretty darn easy. Just watch the opposite way for vehicles. My other recommendation would be to take a screenshot of the route/stops you are taking with transfers that you will need on the Underground as they don't have service in many locations underground. This way you always have your step by step guide.
I had a Tube app that I could download completely so I didn’t have to worry about whether or not I could get a signal. That was very helpful. But I think it also depends on how prevalent public transportation is where you live. At the time, the only public transportation in Orlando was Lynx buses, and those don’t even come out to where I live, so I never use public transport at home. Using Disney transportation is about as close as it gets for me.

We did the British Isles cruise in 2019 and loved it so much we're doing it again in 2021. We are NOT experienced travelers, but managed to navigate London on our own for 2 days prior to the cruise. I prebooked the Tower of London, followed by a stroll across the Tower Bridge, along the Thames, the Tate Modern and St Pauls. We also had tickets to the staterooms at Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey. Taxis are numerous and fun, but we really enjoyed just walking around and taking in the sites. We figured we would save the Disney ABD price and put it towards another cruise!

I wouldnt pay 2 grand to visit London on the itinerary ABD have, especially not for the period of time they are giving you-its like the ultimate stereotype tour (you could sum it up as `Tea and the Queen`, and as we all know, thats all there is too the UK 🙄 .........), and expensive whilst your at it (although frankly, being a Brit, i wouldnt pay 2 grand to visit London anyway, but thats just me )

If you`re minded to visit the UK, your first visit shouldn't really be London at all-you might as well visit any large global city for all the experience of Britain that London will give you- London is great but its as far removed from the rest of the country as its possible to be, in much the same way that visiting New York is amazing, but hardly representative of America).

Make your own plan, go where you want, and do it for much less than the extortionate prices Disney will charge you.

Last edited:
London is an amazing city, definitely one of the best to visit in the world, but Anthony has a point- it’s like a different world compared to the rest of the UK. Unfortunately most overseas visitors just go there and maybe Edinburgh. Those that do venture out often tend to stick in the South.

For $80 each you can jump on a train and be somewhere like Leeds or York in 2 hours which have so much to see in the Cities and surrounds, the Yorkshire Coast etc.

London is an amazing city, definitely one of the best to visit in the world, but Anthony has a point- it’s like a different world compared to the rest of the UK. Unfortunately most overseas visitors just go there and maybe Edinburgh. Those that do venture out often tend to stick in the South.

For $80 each you can jump on a train and be somewhere like Leeds or York in 2 hours which have so much to see in the Cities and surrounds, the Yorkshire Coast etc.

If you really want to experience the UK, you avoid London or dont do London until the very end. Same with Edinburgh really-for such a small provincial town, it has a sense of itself far in excess of its reality, and prices to match.

The true British experience is the try some of the Northern cities, then venture to the countryside which is where you see the true history and beauty of Britain. Those cities unlike London are recognisably part of the country they sit it, and are within easy reach of rural areas-Manchester is often a good place to start, especially as you can fly there from many places in the US. From there you are within easy reach of Liverpool, much of Wales, Glasgow and the Scottish borders, Newcastle, Birmingham etc, plus the vast majority of the national parks, the coasts etc.

One thing that cannot be overstated is the public transport, especially the trains. In comparison to the US, the UK public transport network has the benefit of, well, existing. Its not perfect and we Brits like to complain about the trains, buses etc, but you can get to pretty much anywhere, from anywhere else, pretty reliably, in reasonably comfort (Well, as reasonable as a bus or train can ever be) and in a relatively short space of time.

If you must go to London, its useful as a point to fly home from, and if you go there last it wont be your only or even main experience of the UK.

And frankly, although London can be expensive, it aint 2 grand for 3 days expensive-ABD is frankly not worth it looking at what they are offering (apart from anything, half the stuff they are including in this excursion, can be experienced for free if you plan it yourself, or just isnt worth doing-the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace? Dont bother, its a few portraits and a nice carpet: you wont be seeing the Queen no matter what you think, so save your time). Westminster Abbey? Paying to get in? Half the time you can get in for free if you turn up just before, after or during a service (it is a working church afterall-just keep quiet and hang around after its finished)

Last edited:

If you really want to experience the UK, you avoid London or dont do London until the very end. Same with Edinburgh really-for such a small provincial town, it has a sense of itself far in excess of its reality, and prices to match.

The true British experience is the try some of the Northern cities, then venture to the countryside which is where you see the true history and beauty of Britain. Those cities unlike London are recognisably part of the country they sit it, and are within easy reach of rural areas-Manchester is often a good place to start, especially as you can fly there from many places in the US. From there you are within easy reach of Liverpool, much of Wales, Glasgow and the Scottish borders, Newcastle, Birmingham etc, plus the vast majority of the national parks, the coasts etc.

One thing that cannot be overstated is the public transport, especially the trains. In comparison to the US, the UK public transport network has the benefit of, well, existing. Its not perfect and we Brits like to complain about the trains, buses etc, but you can get to pretty much anywhere, from anywhere else, pretty reliably, in reasonably comfort (Well, as reasonable as a bus or train can ever be) and in a relatively short space of time.

If you must go to London, its useful as a point to fly home from, and if you go there last it wont be your only or even main experience of the UK.

And frankly, although London can be expensive, it aint 2 grand for 3 days expensive-ABD is frankly not worth it looking at what they are offering (apart from anything, half the stuff they are including in this excursion, can be experienced for free if you plan it yourself, or just isnt worth doing-the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace? Dont bother, its a few portraits and a nice carpet: you wont be seeing the Queen no matter what you think, so save your time). Westminster Abbey? Paying to get in? Half the time you can get in for free if you turn up just before, after or during a service (it is a working church afterall-just keep quiet and hang around after its finished)

I think you underestimate London. There is much to see and do. You might be a bit jaded from the sound of your post. London has amazing architecture and historical significance. The museums hold wonderful treasures that you can only see there. I was thrilled to see the Rosetta Stone during my trip along with countless other historical artifacts. During my trip, I was able to go on the Buckingham Palace tour, and NO, nobody thinks that they will see the Queen. It is no different then people wanting to tour the White House. People are interested in different things. That does not make them a fool. I agree that a trip should include some of the rest of the Country if possible. But London is a great tourist destination. It is safe, clean, has plenty to see and do, and for someone that is not a travel expert, everyone speaks English. I agree that the ABD is way overpriced for what you get, but that is a personal choice. Some like that they do not have to worry about things and that is what they pay for. It's a private tour. And what the heck is wrong with tea? We went for afternoon tea and there were plenty of locals there. My sister and I spoke to a woman sitting next to us and she said that she loves going to afternoon tea.

I wouldnt pay 2 grand to visit London on the itinerary ABD have, especially not for the period of time they are giving you-its like the ultimate stereotype tour (you could sum it up as `Tea and the Queen`, and as we all know, thats all there is too the UK 🙄 .........), and expensive whilst your at it (although frankly, being a Brit, i wouldnt pay 2 grand to visit London anyway, but thats just me )

If you`re minded to visit the UK, your first visit shouldn't really be London at all-you might as well visit any large global city for all the experience of Britain that London will give you- London is great but its as far removed from the rest of the country as its possible to be, in much the same way that visiting New York is amazing, but hardly representative of America).

Make your own plan, go where you want, and do it for much less than the extortionate prices Disney will charge you.

I think you may be missing the point that this is just a couple of days they are planning between flying into the UK and getting on a transatlantic cruise (because *no-one* should plan on arriving in a foreign country after a trans-atlantic flight, the day a cruise starts!) This is not "a trip to the UK". The OP said they've wanted to try ABD, and thought it might be a good opportunity to do so (which it is!) Yes, it's pricey for what they are getting, but they are looking for a fun, easy, uncomplicated couple of celebratory days before heading to Dover to catch a cruise ship. They could spend most of those couple of days just *getting* somewhere else besides London, shlepping their cruise luggage along with them, then have to get themselves to Dover, or they could stay in London, have ABD pamper them for a bit, show them some touristy highlights, and then transfer them easily to the Port in Dover. Plus getting to know a few folks who will most likely be on their trans-atlantic cruise with them. I agree, if the point were to really see the UK, this Escape is not the way to do it, but that's really not the point.

That said, I've spent a week and a half in and around London just because London is so cool and has so much to see. Do I even vaguely think I've seen all of the UK? Of course not. But London is amazing, and well worth seeing. As is New York. And don't get me started on Edinburgh, which is one of my all-time favorite European cities!

Sayhello

Last edited:
I think Anthony is a little frustrated so many visitors come to the UK and just visit London. I share his frustration to some extent- London is like an historical NYC without as many high rise, more than it is the rest of the UK. But it is an amazing place to visit (I was in Paris the other month and it doesn’t hold a candle to London IMO in terms of vibrancy).
As mentioned, OP is cruising so has limited time, a London trip will be spot on.
Hopefully others may read this though and be a bit more adventurous, and come to the UK on a proper 2-3 week trip and get around to Yorkshire, and places Anthony mentions.

But it’s a bit like the Brits visiting the US. Whilst I come over and want to see the country and so have driven to 26 states and intend to try and go everywhere, the average Brit goes to NYC, Orlando, Vegas, and LA.

I think you may be missing the point that this is just a couple of days they are planning between flying into the UK and getting on a transatlantic cruise (because *no-one* should plan on arriving in a foreign country after a trans-atlantic flight, the day a cruise starts!) This is not "a trip to the UK". The OP said they've wanted to try ABD, and thought it might be a good opportunity to do so (which it is!) Yes, it's pricey for what they are getting, but they are looking for a fun, easy, uncomplicated couple of celebratory days before heading to Dover to catch a cruise ship. They could spend most of those couple of days just *getting* somewhere else besides London, shlepping their cruise luggage along with them, then have to get themselves to Dover, or they could stay in London, have ABD pamper them for a bit, show them some touristy highlights, and then transfer them easily to the Port in Dover. Plus getting to know a few folks who will most likely be on their trans-atlantic cruise with them. I agree, if the point were to really see the UK, this Escape is not the way to do it, but that's really not the point.

That said, I've spent a week and a half in and around London just because London is so cool and has so much to see. Do I even vaguely think I've seen all of the UK? Of course not. But London is amazing, and well worth seeing. As is New York. And don't get me started on Edinburgh, which is one of my all-time favorite European cities!

Sayhello

Thank you for perfectly stating our situation! We will be boarding the 11 night Transatlantic cruise, followed by a day in New York. Our main focus of this trip is the cruise, but realize we need to fly in a couple of days before the cruise. Between the cruise and the post night stay in New York, we are already looking at 12 nights and that doesn't include two or three nights before the cruise. Adding a week in the UK on top of that doesn't really work for us and the UK isn't the reason for this trip, we were just wanting to make the best use of our limited time before the cruise and hit the highlights in the least complicated way possible.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts!

Thank you for perfectly stating our situation! We will be boarding the 11 night Transatlantic cruise, followed by a day in New York. Our main focus of this trip is the cruise, but realize we need to fly in a couple of days before the cruise. Between the cruise and the post night stay in New York, we are already looking at 12 nights and that doesn't include two or three nights before the cruise. Adding a week in the UK on top of that doesn't really work for us and the UK isn't the reason for this trip, we were just wanting to make the best use of our limited time before the cruise and hit the highlights in the least complicated way possible.

It sounds like and amazing trip! A transatlantic Disney cruise is on my bucket list and I would love to visit London again. Have fun!

If that's really what you are looking for, and you don't mind the price point, then I truly believe the ABD Short Escape would fit the bill. I think you'll really enjoy it.

If you come in the day before the ABD starts, but book the extra night through ABD, you will still get the transportation from Heathrow to the ABD hotel. If you book the pre-night yourself at the ABD hotel, you would probably still be able to get the transport to the hotel. I'd check with ABD to be sure. It's *really* nice to walk out of baggage claim and see someone with either the orange ABD sign or one with your name on it. :)

Also, I don't *know* if this is true, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, but you *might* get preferential boarding on the Magic when you get there, which would be great. I'd double-check with ABD and/or DCL.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I think the short escape is a great way to test drive AbD. My first AbD was the NYC long weekend. Everything except one thing we could have done on our own, with some planning. However, to me it was worth the price to see how AbD operates, as it was also my first time with a guided travel trip. It is both cheaper & shorter way to try it out, than one of the longer adventures.

Have fun with your London escape! You may end up on a longer Abd in the future!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!