Long layover in Philadelphia Airport

LanaBear-ox

Mouseketeer
Hey guys,

I'm flying with AA in a few weeks and wondered if anyone had the long 9 hour layover at the airport when they are flying back to the UK? We land from Orlando at 12.30pm but flight isn't till 9pm.
I'm thinking of exploring the city but I think I'm too nervous.. :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Hi

You will have cleared immigration and security in Orlando, I think? We fly that route (without the layover, Manchester right ?) and clear everything in Orlando so I guess if you leave you have to do that again and I have no idea how that will work. I think I would be tempted to get a Lounge pass and stay put.

See you there last two weeks Oct for us:-)

Regards

Paul

Hi

You will have cleared immigration and security in Orlando, I think? We fly that route (without the layover, Manchester right ?) and clear everything in Orlando so I guess if you leave you have to do that again and I have no idea how that will work. I think I would be tempted to get a Lounge pass and stay put.

See you there last two weeks Oct for us:-)

Regards

Paul

Yep Manchester! We are from North Wales. Direct was just way too expensive by the time we had enough saved unfortunately.. I only told my DH yesterday about the layover and he was not impressed :rolleyes1
They have minute suites that I'm looking in to and the thought of exploring the different terminals.. :rolleyes:

If you want to leave the airport and explore the city there are options...I would just look at the different areas and see what appeals to you. There's old city, rittenhouse, art museum area, etc. If you want a cheesesteak you could go to Tony Luke's or Geno's (in South Philly). I think there's a tony Luke's and chickie and petes in the airport too.
If you're by any chance coming in on a Sunday I'd check the Eagles schedule too, the roadways will be crowded if there's an afternoon game.

Yep Manchester! We are from North Wales. Direct was just way too expensive by the time we had enough saved unfortunately.. I only told my DH yesterday about the layove

Hi

A long shot but have you checked all of the later flights from Orlando to Philadelphia I think they are like every hour or so, we book early and get the one that leaves Orlando at 5.14 pm. Depending on how you booked all of the flights might not have been to obvious.

I would call American Airlines in the UK they are normally quite helpful

Regards

Paul

Please come back and let us know what AA was like, we fly with them xmas,
Into Phili.
We was supposed to have 6 hours in the way back, then they changed it to 7 last wk!
Hubby called as that is too long for us with 3 kids, they then changed us to a layover of only 2 hours.

Hi

We do this every year and can tell you it a very good flight and 2 hours is the layover we do (and have 8 times) which is just right to go through immigration re load your bags and back through TSA with about 30 mins to spare at the gate before boarding.

We fly tomorrow on the same flight again.

Regards

Paul

Just done this route outbound and return. Outbound we had a 5 hour wait but two days before travel this was dropped to two hours and we needed every minute of it to clear immigration at Philadelphia. On the way back our 90 minute wait was taken by a walk to the gate, two beers and a Greek wrap. AA were fine both ways and no complaints. We have used AA for our last 4 trips to the USA but always look for deals and have flow with US, United. Aer Lingus and Delta. I flew once out to MCO in business with Virgin....never again!! This trip was about my 30th to the USA of which 4 have been for business.

Please come back and let us know what AA was like, we fly with them xmas,
Into Phili.
We was supposed to have 6 hours in the way back, then they changed it to 7 last wk!
Hubby called as that is too long for us with 3 kids, they then changed us to a layover of only 2 hours.

Couldn't fault them. We did have to switch planes when we were coming back due to technical fault but the food was okay. Would fly with them again :rolleyes:

I've done this, make the most of it and see Philly you have tons of time. I did it with a 5 hour layover with 2 little kids, no problems whatsoever.
There's a train from right outside the airport doors that takes you right into the central station. It didn't take long, about 20 mins from memory and it wasn't very expensive.
Take the train, have a bit of a look around for an hour or so, get a meal.
Beats hanging around in an airport for 9 hours and you can tick off another City visited and maybe a State.
You need to get back in time, but no checking in, so if you want to be REALLY safe go back with 3 hours to spare. You'll still have 3 hours in Philadelphia centre. Look at train return times but I recall they were very regular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter