Look Honey They are Unshrinking Cooke's Menu - A Nov. 2019 Dining Report updated 5/03 Homecomin dinner

That's some tasty looking food and your waitress sounds like she was top notch :thumbsup2
The bar sounds a little disappointing though.
We have had good luck at Boatwright's with the food. I still wish they did breakfast. The new Scat Cat's was a hot topic sitting at the bar in Mardi Grogs. The overall impression was not favorable.

I was just thinking about Boatwrights the other day and now along comes your review. While I don't like the sound of cakey grits, I am a sucker for shrimp so your meal looks right up my alley. We've only eaten there once but very much enjoyed it. We haven't stayed at Port Orelans since then so we haven't been back but next time we go back I'm sure we will be eating there.

I was just thinking about Boatwrights the other day and now along comes your review. While I don't like the sound of cakey grits, I am a sucker for shrimp so your meal looks right up my alley. We've only eaten there once but very much enjoyed it. We haven't stayed at Port Orelans since then so we haven't been back but next time we go back I'm sure we will be eating there.
I was very happy with both the tasted & size of the shrimp & the Tasso ham was very good. The Cakey grit cake not so much . We have always had good luck with our meals at Boatwrights.

11/17 Can't Win them All... Beignets, MK Popcorn & Puck Pizza

Today was our last full day at WDW:sad1:. We had yet to get beignets for breakfast so today was the day . A POFQ PSA, do not get them on a Sunday during the Beignet Dash. On Sunday anyone who signs up ($) & completes the run get an order of beignets. As a result they were being mass produced instead of the semi-cooked to order on most mornings.

20191117_082945.jpg

We agreed the taste was good but not as airy, more like the texture of a regular (non-cake) donut. Also they were not pipping hot . Personally I don't know why they felt the need to make them Mickey shape.
Once breakfast was done it was off to the Magic Kingdom for our last park.

20191117_092235.jpg

20191117_110132.jpg

Since it was another MVMCP day, the morning and early afternoon were not too bad crowd wise & we got a lot done .I know we saw the Country Bears & could not do the Railroad since it is closed for Tron construction. But my notes are incomplete for this morning . Must have been the cold weather. We decided to compensate for the weather with my favorite WDW snack , Popcorn.

20191117_103550.jpg

Doesn't matter who the Sponsor is or which Park, I just love Disney popcorn.
After doing a few more things including the Hall of Presidents ( it was cold ) , we decided what to do for lunch. Dinner that night was going to be Homecomin so we didn't want a big lunch. Since it was Sunday during football season that ruled out ESPN Club. We narrowed our choices to at GF Cafe, Ale & Compassl or back to DS. We picked DS ( the other mistake) & it seemed so did everyone else in the greater Lake Buena Vista area:sad2:

Maybe it was the weather or being a Sunday but the place was mobbed. Lines all over, so we picked Puck Express & decided to share a pizza. After a 20 minute wait to order ( Polite Pig was 30+ when we stopped by) our pizza came out in the normal time frame.

20191117_124058.jpg

We got a Margherita Pizza. The flavors were very good, dough was cooked but it could have used a about 2 more minutes in the oven.Just to get it hotter ( I like my hot food hot, no cold pizza for me) & a crispier crust.
After eating we set sail on the water taxi to POFQ. According to the forecast the day before it was supposed to have warmed up by early afternoon & some sunshine was to appear 😂😂, that wasn't happening. We had planned to get drinks at Mardi Grog's & watch some NFL football. Due to the wind coming off the water, sitting there was too cold even for us. Fortunately Muddy Waters at POR is set away from the Sassagoula Waterway.

20191117_145535.jpg

After a beverage or 2 and chatting with a bored bartender (only 4 patrons ) we walked back to POFQ to get ready for our last & best dinner of the trip.

Attachments

• 20191117_092235.jpg
    20191117_092235.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like a lovely last day :)
Like you I like my hot food hot and that pizza does look tasty😋
Love the river taxi to POFQ. So much more pleasant to be on a boat than a bus even if it's slightly windy.
Looking forward to your dinner :)

Sorry food on the last day wasn't the greatest. Beignets definitely need to be served straight from the fryer and pizza hot out of the oven. But it sounds like dinner is gonna be turned about. Can't wait to see what it is

Hello, South Jersey neighbor! Just caught up on your report. We, too, love POFQ! I'm really enjoying your report, and sad it's almost over. Hope you're staying well during this crazy time!

Sounds like a lovely last day :)
Like you I like my hot food hot and that pizza does look tasty😋
Love the river taxi to POFQ. So much more pleasant to be on a boat than a bus even if it's slightly windy.
Looking forward to your dinner :)
Been told by the 2 people who know me best ( DH & DSis !) You don't want to me around me if I get cold Nachos 😂. The only time we don't use the boat is if it isn't running .

Sorry food on the last day wasn't the greatest. Beignets definitely need to be served straight from the fryer and pizza hot out of the oven. But it sounds like dinner is gonna be turned about. Can't wait to see what it is
You can't win them all 😉. At least they were edible.

Hello, South Jersey neighbor! Just caught up on your report. We, too, love POFQ! I'm really enjoying your report, and sad it's almost over. Hope you're staying well during this crazy time!
Teresa hi ! We are doing good , just waiting for this to past. Looking forward to eating out again someday .

11/17 Saving the best for last, dinner at Homecomin

Tonight was our "real" last meal of the trip. Not surprisingly it was back to Disney Springs where we had an ADR at Chef Art's . We went early as I wanted to pickup something for DSis's Son at the Underarmour store.
He & his Sister were born after we married so they get T-shirts or something similar almost every vacation we have taken . A note to WDW store Men clothing buyers, not everyone likes big graphic T-shirts & such. My DH is one as is said nephew. We used to buy him stuff at the ESPN restaurant's store or the old Team Mickey ( now the Co-Op) . So one good thing out of the new stores in DS is we can find something for him if Disney merchandise doesn't work.
We then headed over to Homecomin but we were about 30 minutes early. They could seat us outside but even with heat lamps, the low-50s after dark is too cold for us. So we got a seat at the bar, a beverage 🍺 & about 5 minutes after our time got seated.

To start I got a glass of Chardonnay & we shared the hushpuppies once again.

20191117_183637.jpg

How can you go wrong with fried dough ?

For his entree DH got the Chopped Pork BBQ Plate with Mac n Cheese ,

20191117_185525.jpg

It also came with a Cheddar Drop Biscuit ( same one they use for Chicken Thigh biscuits) & Cole Slaw.
The Pork was tender in good size pieces with minimal fat & the sauce drizzled on , with most of it being in the side container. Too many places the pork drowning in sauce. This sauce was a little peppery but not overly spicy. The Mac n Cheese was very good . It had a nice cheesy crust with a mostly cheddar flavor . The pasta used was Cavatappi . Almost as good as the one at Wolfgang Puck Express.

I went with a standout from 2 years ago

20191117_185620.jpg

Fried Chicken & Donuts. Entree & dessert on 1 plate. It came with a Sausage gravy & Maple syrup to drizzle to the food. The chicken was juicy and the batter crisp but not greasy. I drizzled the Maple syrup on both the cluck & 1 donut ( gave DH the other).It did add to the flavor of both. Maybe that was the reason for powdered sugar on the chicken. The last trip the donuts had a cake texture but this time they were airier.
Not sure what the Sausage gravy was doing on the plate but that may be a regional thing. I took a taste & liked it. If the dish came with regular biscuits I would have used it.
The usual side is Mashed Potatoes but with the hushpuppies, donuts & Mac n Cheese I substituted a veggie side.

20191117_185551.jpg

It was the seasonal side, Grilled Corn Succotash. Corn, Lima beans, Red Peppers & Red Onions in a vinaigrette. The corn seems to have been shucked off the cob. This was one of the best sides we have ever eaten. The veggies were tender but still crisp & the dressing didn't overwhelm them.
In addition to a great meal our server Autumn was the best of trip. As busy as the restaurant was ( when we checked in it was a two hour wait for inside seating with no ADR) we were not rushed. She made sure we had water refills & my second glass of Chardonnay despite a rather demanding couple at the next table.
Let's just say I repressed an urge to make a rude comment along the lines of "Do they know this isn't Victoria & Albert's". Even DH was rolling his eyes so I know it wasn't me.

With the donuts we didn't feel like dessert although one day I do want to try their Pecan Pie . We headed back to POFQ for a nightcap.

After chatting with a few other guests at the lounge of darkness , AKA Scat Cat's, we went back to our room to finish packing .
A photo from outside our room overlooking the Sassagoula

20191117_213235.jpg.

Up next a recap of the highlights, few lowlights & what we hope 🤞to be looking forward to next time.

Last edited:
Chef Art’s food sounds good though I confess I’m not sure about powdered sugar on the chicken but seeing that you liked it I’d definitely give it a go! Sounds like a great meal and pretty perfect end to your trip. The view outside your room is lovely 😊

I had the same thought about the powdered sugar on the chicken. And I wouldn't have known what to do with that gravy either! :confused3

We booked Homecomin' for our rescheduled October 2020 trip...fingers crossed we'll get to try it for the first time!

I had the same thought about the powdered sugar on the chicken. And I wouldn't have known what to do with that gravy either! :confused3
If it been a breakfast meal with regular biscuits I would have understood . But Sausage Gravy with Donuts is a new one to me.

Chef Art’s food sounds good though I confess I’m not sure about powdered sugar on the chicken but seeing that you liked it I’d definitely give it a go! Sounds like a great meal and pretty perfect end to your trip. The view outside your room is lovely 😊
We really enjoyed Chef Art's on our last two trips. The sugar was a first. I've had fried chicken served with honey so the maple syrup, especially considering the donuts, wasn't a stretch. We usually book River view in part to have those views coming out or into the room.

We booked Homecomin' for our rescheduled October 2020 trip...fingers crossed we'll get to try it for the first time!
We eaten twice on each of our last two trips. I hope things are in better shape & you will get to Homecomin.

Loved your report! I just love Homecomin' - those thigh high biscuits- YUM!! Haven't eaten at Yatchsman in years. Thinking we may hold off a bit longer!

Oh what I wouldn't give for a little Homecoming right about now. Those hushpuppies are simply divine and oh the fried chicken. Glad you all saved the best meal for last. Hate when a trip ends on a bad food note.

Loved your report! I just love Homecomin' - those thigh high biscuits- YUM!! Haven't eaten at Yatchsman in years. Thinking we may hold off a bit longer!
Homecomin has been a great addition to our dining rotation. I think a big part of the issue at YSH was the server. I can handle weird food presentations. We had been spoiled by the last several visits by Oscar & Susan.

Oh what I wouldn't give for a little Homecoming right about now. Those hushpuppies are simply divine and oh the fried chicken. Glad you all saved the best meal for last. Hate when a trip ends on a bad food note.

We had great last meals on our last few trips. I hear you about Homecomin. I have been craving hushpuppies. We had a restaurant nearby that did good ones but they closed back in February. I was getting a fried chicken fix at Cracker Barrel ( take my Mom for lunch weekly). But that hasn't happened since early March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!