Looking for advice

apv7

Earning My Ears
I purchased 100 resale points at BLT a few years ago but my family has grown and will need to get 2 bedroom rooms in the near future. With the cost in point of 2 bedrooms I’m thinking of adding points by buying another membership. I’m leaning toward the boardwalk since I’m at bay lake near the magic kingdom I thought it could be nice switching rooms and being walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios. Do you think this is a good idea? Pros and cons? How close is boardwalk to monorail? And what’s your opinion on boardwalk, is there another place recommended? And has dvc resale purchases changed at all in the last few years on what you can and cannot do vs a direct sale? Is it a big deal if use year is not the same month? Ty in advance.

I wouldn't buy another membership, I would buy another contract, same UY unless you bought a wrong one.

Boardwalk is not close to the monorail.

:earsboy: Bill

So many questions...

You have 100 at BLT, which would get you a few days in a 2 bedroom. You're looking to add on at another resort, which will give you some indeterminate number of days (since you didn't say how many points you're planning on buying).

You've narrowed your resort list down to BWV, which is within walking distance of Epcot and DHS. It's no where near the Epcot monorail, which is on the other side of Epcot (you'd have to enter Epcot through the International Gateway, walk through Great Britain, Canada, World Showcase, and then exit Epcot to get to the monorail).

You'll be juggling two MDE accounts if you have multiple use years, which is a complexity that a few complain is confusing.

BWV is a 2042 expiration date. You'll have your BLT contract for 17 years after BWV expires.

Depending upon when you purchased your BLT resale, you may have direct purchaser benefits, or not. If you have them, you won't lose them by buying an additional resale contract. If you don't have them, you won't gain them. In that respect, DVD hasn't changed.

As to whether this is a good idea, I'd say that's a highly subjective thing. I'm not personally in favor of split stays. If I wanted points at BWV, I'd buy enough to put me into the 2 bedroom every other year, and add on to my BLT points sufficient to give me a 2 bedroom every other year there.

If you match use year and you put the same names on the title of both contracts you will still have one membership but w/ both contracts in it. I have one membership number and account and I access both my AKV and VGF contracts through that same number/account - it's simple that way. At 11 months I can use VGF for VGF and AKV for AKV. At 7 months I can use both to draw points for where ever I want to stay.
The one thing you'll notice about resale if you haven't looked in awhile is that prices have really shot up in the last year or two - so that may be a surprise.
The BWV are fine (they do have really long hallways, tho' and only one centrally located bank of elevators :( .) You can walk to Epcot - which is fairly close and DHS which is a bit more of a hike. You can take the friendship boats although they are a slow mode of transport. In a year or so the gondola will be up and running so presumably you'll be able to walk over to the gondola just outside Epcot and take it over to DHS. Taking the monorail from BWV or BC/YC or the Swan/Dolphin isn't very user friendly - as you have to walk from the front/back of Epcot to the other side. If, for example, you leave MK and arrive at Epcot after it closes you can't even get in to walk through to get to the BWVs, likewise, you can't walk through for an early rope drop at MK if Epcot isn't open yet. Plus it's not a straight shot, you take the Epcot monorail to the TTC and then you transfer there to the Resort or Express MK monorail.
The only hesitation I'd have w/ BWV at this point is that those points end in 2042 and the resale price is very high at the moment. If you are relatively young, and really want an Epcot/DHS resort then you might consider the not yet complete Riviera resort which will have gondola access to Epcot and DHS as well as a 50 year end date.
Good luck w/ your decision.

Wow thanks for the info guys. I wrongly assumed the use year of the second contract did not matter and I would just book 9 months out From which ever month was later.

Yes I did see the price go up a lot I bought blt resale a few years back at 103 a point. How fast they were going at the time I assumed they would go up but surprised by how much.

With the contract ending earlier and not to close to the monorail I may have to re think boardwalk.

Besides having the same name and use year anything else I need to put the new contract on to my Existing membership?

We bought BLT first and then added on at BWV about a year later. If you want two different resorts it's a really good mix of locations. I made sure to buy the same use year. As others have said it makes managing the membership much easier.
You could buy 100 points at BWV and switch off every other year. Even years you could use two years worth of BLT points to stay at BLT. Then odd years use two years worth of BWV points to stay at BWV. Rinse and repeat.

My only issue I could see with BWV is you don't say how old you are. If you are anywhere south of 35 years old the expiration date might be an issue. If you are on the younger side, I would probably holdout and see how Riviera turns out. It will give you a location close to Epcot and HS via the skyway and come with 50 years of points.

Whatever you do good luck!

One thought for close to monorail is PVB. You can easily walk to TTC and get on the Epcot monorail without changing trains.

One thought for close to monorail is PVB. You can easily walk to TTC and get on the Epcot monorail without changing trains.
PVB is a beautiful resort, and I agree very convenient to Epcot/TTC. However, the only real 2 bedroom unit there are the very expensive bungalows, so that is something to consider. 2 studios (connecting) would provide a lot of space, but no full kitchen or w/d if you need that.

I wrongly assumed the use year of the second contract did not matter and I would just book 9 months out From which ever month was later.

Maybe the two hours of yardwork I just did fried my brain, but...wait, what?

You can book 11 months from checkin date at your home resort.

You can book 7 months from checkin at non-home resorts.

So if you got BW and wanted a bay lake and BW split stay in that order, you would use the bay lake points to book at 11 months from that intended checkin, then wait until you were 11 months out from the intended BW checkin to book that stay.

PVB is a beautiful resort, and I agree very convenient to Epcot/TTC. However, the only real 2 bedroom unit there are the very expensive bungalows, so that is something to consider. 2 studios (connecting) would provide a lot of space, but no full kitchen or w/d if you need that.
You are so right. I forgot about the 2BR part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter