Looking for Brutally Honest Opinions....

Yes, Uber has a whole suite of rider safety features, including several that have just been added in the last few weeks.

One of those features allows you to share your ride progress, with real-time tracking, with trusted friends/family. Another allows you to call 911 directly from the rider app, and that option will provide real-time actual GPS locations to emergency responders rather than the location of the nearest cell tower, which could be several miles away.

Contrary to what Monorail Man posted above, if you order an Uber, as soon as the driver accepts your ride, you will receive the driver's true first name, a description of their car, the tag number, a picture of the driver...and, you will be able to follow the progress of the vehicle as they come to pick you up and throughout the ride.

The picture is your most important protection because it ensures that you have the right driver and that the driver has passed Florida's state-mandated, extremely rigorous local, state, and federal background investigations (driving record, local criminal history, Florida criminal history, Federal (FBI) criminal history, DHS terrorist watch list, Florida sexual predator list, Federal sexual predator list, and other checks).

Uber's background checks are conducted by an independent company, and separate company maintains a continuous "watch" on all Uber drivers and notifies Uber immediately if the driver has any criminal issues subsequent to the background check.

In addition to any sharing of the ride tracking you choose to do, your ride is double-tracked by Uber. They track the ride both on your rider app on your phone, and the driver's phone. Once your ride has ended, Uber continues to track you for a few minutes to be sure everything is okay. Drivers are tracked continuously whether we are on rides or not, and for quite some time after we go offline at the end of the shift.

Lyft drivers have to meet the same state standards as Uber, and much of the info provided prior to pickup is the same. Lyft also double-tracks your ride, but does not currently provide the other safety features mentioned above. Uber also re-does backgrounds annually, and has drivers periodically submit in-app selfies for facial recognition confirmation that the right driver is behind the wheel. Lyft does neither.

With a taxi, you get a vehicle that is licensed by the city or county, a driver who has passed a very minimal background investigation, and none of the tracking/sharing functionality. You are trusting the paint job on the car -- but you'll be perfectly fine in a taxi.

Orlando is actually one of the easiest places in the US to get a hack license. I have an online "friend" who drives, dispatches, and recruits for Mears, so I'm familiar with the requirements.

For taxis, here's a link to the Orlando PD requirements writerguyfl mentioned: http://www.cityoforlando.net/police/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/02/DP-check-list-New-2015.pdf

Note that the background investigation is obtained and submitted by the taxi driver, not done independently. Also note what the deal-breakers are, lol.

But despite the low bar set by Orlando/Orange County, you would be safe in a Mears taxi. They're a very good company with a longstanding good reputation.

Fare estimates from Ride Guru: Uber fare from MCO to OKW would be about $27 for X or $40 for XL. Taxi would be about $60
^^THIS is why I would even consider Uber in the first place...They have security measures in place and for $27, it's quite affordable.

@JimMIA, I have an "Uber Etiquette" question... since we are a party of 3, is it OK for me to sit in the front and have my daughters sit in the back? Or should all three of us sit in the back? We will be using Uber for some resort to resort rides and I want to make sure that we are using proper form:teeth:.

Sitting in front is always an option with Uber. Most drivers don't mind even for solo riders. With three people,one riding in the front passenger seat is expected by all Uber drivers.

We have a similar issue in March. I don't mind using Lyft on property, but I booked with FLTours for our late arrival at MCO. Last time we arrived to MCO late it took forever and a day to get to POP on DME.

Do what you're most comfortable with. You can't put a price on feeling secure.

Well, I think Uber and lyft are perfectly fine, and I use them by myself (56 year old woman). But if it will cause you a lot of stress, then don't.

DME adjusts to who is there. I have arrived early in the morning (like 7:30 AM) and not waited long, but the bus stopped a range of different resorts from what I would consider its usual pattern.

@JimMIA, I have an "Uber Etiquette" question... since we are a party of 3, is it OK for me to sit in the front and have my daughters sit in the back? Or should all three of us sit in the back? We will be using Uber for some resort to resort rides and I want to make sure that we are using proper form:teeth:.
I agree with StageTek -- it's generally almost assumed, with three riders, that one will sit in front. And especially, a Mom with two teenagers, I doubt if a driver would mind.

However...as far as "etiquette," it's always a good idea to ask first. There are drivers who don't like riders in front for security reasons, so a simple polite question is a good idea.

I've arrived at MCO alone a couple of times. I book Tiffany Towncar ahead of my trips. They are waiting for me at at baggage claim. So easy, and it's a quick ride to WDW.
I would not use uber/lyft.

Honestly, my Uber drivers make me feel more secure than the cab drivers I’ve had. Sorry, but if you think a taxi driver is “safe” just because he’s in a cab, fantasyland escaped the Magic Kingdom.

And as for Towncar services being safer. OMG that is hysterical. The only “background”check is “own a car the right size”.

I'm a female in my early 20s and would have no qualms at all with taking an Uber alone or with girlfriends in your situation. I like Uber. However, I would choose DME just because it's free and my vacation mentally starts as soon as I get on and the convenience outweighs the reasons not to use it.

I would take Uber or Lyft. They are far better at removing bad drivers than the taxi companies. In Las Vegas the taxi industry has been decimated because many of their drivers were crooks are would always long haul passengers through the tunnel padding their fare by $10+.

Rent a car or pay for towncar service. I don't trust Uber.
Well, there's Lyft. "I don't trust ____" is a pretty broad and, depending on the reason(s), misleading statement. I mean, do you not trust the company as an entity because of some things done under old management? Or do you not trust individual drivers? All drivers? Über's intensive attention to rider and driver security? Their continuous driver screening?

I use Uber/Lyft extensively for business travel. I also am a member of an anonymous program and have attended meetings in very unsafe neighborhoods. I consider my Uber driver a Godsend for picking me up in such undesirable locations. They are vetted. I have no idea why a PP feels safer in a yellow cab. With Uber, you can even use a feature that will track your trip and you can send it to someone else so they can track you. I haven't found a taxi that allows that. If I got in that late after a day that started at 06:00, I would definitely go for the Uber rather than the bus. Have a great trip.

Do whatever you're comfortable with. It doesn't matter if everyone on this thread thinks Uber/ Lyft/ a cab is fine, if you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

Factoring everything in, DME would seem the best option here, I reckon. It will probably take a bit longer but it sounds like safety is a higher priority than time.

If you have concerns (and you mentioned that you may have a drink or two/ have anxiety) then I would take DME and not start out your trip with another layer of worry.

Personally, I have not had any issue with Uber or Lyft and I’ve taken either one all over NYC at various times of day (sometimes with or without kids including my 14 year old daughter in tow and sometimes by myself). I have friends who drive for Uber and the screening process (and vehicle inspection) is no joke. I’m arriving at MCO by myself on Thursday and taking a Lyft to the hotel (offsite so DME is not an option). I’ll use the in-app feature that lets a friend (in this case DH) follow my ride in real time (which also provides him a photo of the car, marker plate, and driver). I can’t do that if I get in a cab.

And as for Towncar services being safer. OMG that is hysterical. The only “background”check is “own a car the right size”.
ALL for-hire drivers in Orlando have to submit the same background investigations I cited above for taxis.

Well, there's Lyft. "I don't trust ____" is a pretty broad and, depending on the reason(s), misleading statement. I mean, do you not trust the company as an entity because of some things done under old management? Or do you not trust individual drivers? All drivers? Über's intensive attention to rider and driver security? Their continuous driver screening?
I don't trust anything like that. But what's it to you? I stated my opinion like anyone else on this forum does many times a day. Why quote me? Personally offended? Just move along.

The OP wanted brutally honest and I was. YMMV.

Honestly, my Uber drivers make me feel more secure than the cab drivers I’ve had. Sorry, but if you think a taxi driver is “safe” just because he’s in a cab, fantasyland escaped the Magic Kingdom.

All town car services are not equal. That's why I mentioned using Mears Transportation. I asked a Mears employee about all of this back in January when I used one of their products. Their cars are owned by Mears and operated by employees who went through background checks.

By the way, taxi companies aren't all equal, either. The one I use here at home has cameras in all of their cars. That's something you won't find in "ride sharing" vehicles.

The other benefit to (most) taxi companies is that you can pay cash. Doing that makes the possibility of identity theft basically zero. The same can't be said for the 57 million Uber customers that had their data stolen when Uber was hacked. (To add insult to injury, Uber didn't notify customers or the FTC when it happened. It only came out when they got caught covering it up, thereby breaking data breach laws in multiple states.)

https://www.wired.com/story/uber-paid-off-hackers-to-hide-a-57-million-user-data-breach/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!