Looking for Brutally Honest Opinions....

By the way, taxi companies aren't all equal, either. The one I use here at home has cameras in all of their cars. That's something you won't find in "ride sharing" vehicles.

You mean like mine, lol?

upload_2018-9-23_18-15-22.png

You're right, though...it's an important safety feature for both the driver and passenger. None of our local cab companies use them, but I have seen some in other cities. On our driver social media, we constantly encourage new drivers to get dashcams.

The other benefit to (most) taxi companies is that you can pay cash. Doing that makes the possibility of identity theft basically zero.
Cash is an invitation to getting ripped off, and taxi drivers are notorious for that. Even if their companies take credit cards, they'll tell you the credit card processing is not working, inflate your fare, and demand cash so they can rip off the company and cheat on their taxes. That taxi problem is an important reason why a lot of people choose Uber.

And you know what, I've been a "victim" in several of those large identity theft scandals (not Uber's) and I've never, ever had anything compromised and never lost a single penny.

I don't trust anything like that. But what's it to you? I stated my opinion like anyone else on this forum does many times a day. Why quote me? Personally offended? Just move along.

The OP wanted brutally honest and I was. YMMV.
As did I, and as was I. Again, "I don't trust XYZ Company" without any information about why or what one doesn't trust can be pretty damaging to that company.

I strongly recommend DME, it is the safest option and best of all it's totally free and specifically for WDW resort guests only, also the wait should not be significantly longer than arriving at any other time regardless of how full or empty the bus is.

I’ve taken uber alone many times alone at night. Met a really cool uber driver a few weeks ago on a nearly hour long drive from Miami back up to the suburbs. It’s safe, but if you are having doubts I would definitely reccommend DME :)

I think Uber has done a fine job damaging their own reputation, honestly.
I agree, and they really worked at it! There is no substitute for hard work.

Hopefully those days are behind us. Those issues did occur several years ago and were the product of some huge egos, and the frat-boy culture they created. The new management is a bunch of grownups, and they're doing better.

Ok cheap, impatient, safety nutso here.

1.Cheap says DME....

2.Impatient says Taxi/uber. Toss up. God forbid I see an empty taxi as I’m waiting for uber:rolleyes1

3. Safety....I always mapquest/ Waze my ride if I do not know where I am. This way I see we are going in the right direction.... all good!
Happy planning
Kerri

Ok cheap, impatient, safety nutso here.

1.Cheap says DME....

2.Impatient says Taxi/uber. Toss up. God forbid I see an empty taxi as I’m waiting for uber:rolleyes1

3. Safety....I always mapquest/ Waze my ride if I do not know where I am. This way I see we are going in the right direction.... all good!
Happy planning
Kerri
I think we were separated at birth:thumbsup2
I'm always looking for the most affordable option, but my time is valuable too. At that hour of the night, spending $35 to save 45-60 minutes would be worth it to me...but NOT if it is going to expose me or my family to an unnecessary risk. The thing is, I don't even know if using Uber would save me that much time, and if I am just going to be nervous and "looking over my shoulder" the whole way, then I think the value is lost.

We often arrive late (11pm-ish)and almost always take DME. At that time of night they don't always wait for the bus to fill before leaving. Generally we get to our resort quicker with late arrivals than earlier in the day. We fly cross country and usually arrive exhausted. The bus is comfortable but for me chilly so I bring a small blanket and often sleep on the way when it's late. You're already paying for MDE with your room cost or maintenance fees (if DVC) so why not use it?

I am fairly certain I know what I am going to do, but I am looking to see what other, more experienced travelers might do in my situation. I am traveling with my 2 teenage daughters (13 and 15) and we are arriving at 11pm and staying at OKW.

I am considering using Uber/Lyft to get to our resort instead of waiting for DME. We have only carry-ons and since the girls will have been up since 6am, I don't want to linger at the airport any longer than necessary. I am slightly concerned about the safety of using any private transportation at that late hour for that distance. I'm not worried about taking the short trips across WDW property when we head back to, say, AKV from TOTWL or something, but this would be the longest trip in a private vehicle that I have ever taken.

I am also not familiar with how efficient DME runs at that hour either. The only other time we arrived this late, we stayed at the airport Hyatt and took DME the next morning. This time, I had exactly enough DVC points to cover that night so there was no reason to shell out $300 for the Hyatt. I have read that DME can take longer at night because more sporadic arrivals mean it takes longer for them to fill the buses. I'd rather not sit on a bus for 45 minutes before we leave for the resort.

So, what do you all think? As a 20-year paramedic, my "street sense" is well-tuned. I have a pretty good gut instinct to know when things are not right and I'm also not the least bit timid when it comes to defending myself or my children. Unfortunately, my experience with taxis is extremely limited. I'm just wondering if I have any reason to be leery about using private transportation from the airport at that hour, or am I just worrying for nothing??
I’ve traveled lots when it was just me and my daughter. We have never had any issue with DME. It is always very fast and efficient, no matter what time of day or evening you use it. The only issue I’ve ever had was getting my bag delivered at an unGodly hour. That was my fault and I knew that would be the case & will not be an issue for you. I’d stick with the Disney transport if I were you. After all you pay for having this “free” transportation. The DME takes 45 mins to get from the airport to your resort. I just love letting Disney do the driving.

Doesn't Uber have a thing where you can send your location to another party so they can track you during your trip? I don't know if that helps you feel safer or not.

I would probably Uber. I'm usually cheap and would say DME, but at that time, I'd rather get to the hotel quicker. Another option... get a hotel room near the airport for that night. Get up the next morning, shuttle back to MCO and then take DME. This won't work great if you plan an early morning the next day.
They do have some sort of tracking. My daughter has been living in Rio for work and when my husband was down visiting he was able to keep tabs (with her consent of course!) on her getting back to her apartment safely.

Uber kind of creeps me out. Not sure why.

We have an exchange student staying with us (age 16) and she has ordered silly things via Uber delivery.

Fries, or a shake from McDonald’s? Really, like my daughter says, who does that?!

My concern is that I do not want her doing this if she is ever home alone. Do not trust a stranger coming to my door.

Not something we allow our teen to do. Sorry off topic a bit.

Better safe than sorry. I’d feel much safer on the bus.

I would take Uber myself, and I am a female in her early 30s who often travels solo and has used Uber at all hours of the day/night all across the US in cities large and small. No one should do anything that they aren't comfortable with though, so if DME makes you feel better then go with that.

I think we were separated at birth:thumbsup2
I'm always looking for the most affordable option, but my time is valuable too. At that hour of the night, spending $35 to save 45-60 minutes would be worth it to me...but NOT if it is going to expose me or my family to an unnecessary risk. The thing is, I don't even know if using Uber would save me that much time, and if I am just going to be nervous and "looking over my shoulder" the whole way, then I think the value is lost.
:-)
Honestly I am impatient.... and one time in all my travels I waited the 30 min or 10( felt like forever) LOL!!! For the bus to fill up and leave.
But once I land I prefer to go right to the “bubble”.... so for me that “Magical express “:-)
Kerri

I think Uber has done a fine job damaging their own reputation, honestly.

Agreed. Just like Spirit did. I mean what CEO comes out and says "We don't do customer service"? The only surprise is how long it took the the board of directors to remove the previous CEOs at these companies.

We have an exchange student staying with us (age 16) and she has ordered silly things via Uber delivery.

Fries, or a shake from McDonald’s? Really, like my daughter says, who does that?!

My concern is that I do not want her doing this if she is ever home alone. Do not trust a stranger coming to my door.

You think it is safer to drive down to the McDonald's and hang with the gang bangers? Many of the McDonalds in Seattle have been closing because they just became hangouts for the homeless and drug dealers. No way I would ever let my kids go there. If they ever wanted McDanks I always had them use Uber Eats for delivery.

You mean like mine, lol?

I'm pleasantly surprised. Still, that's not a standard feature like it is in every cab for the taxi company I use.

Cash is an invitation to getting ripped off, and taxi drivers are notorious for that. Even if their companies take credit cards, they'll tell you the credit card processing is not working, inflate your fare, and demand cash so they can rip off the company and cheat on their taxes. That taxi problem is an important reason why a lot of people choose Uber.

As I mentioned, not every taxi company is equal. There's a zero chance I'm going to get ripped off during a cash transaction because the driver is being recorded.

And you know what, I've been a "victim" in several of those large identity theft scandals (not Uber's) and I've never, ever had anything compromised and never lost a single penny.

It just takes one problem to change your mind over how terrible data breaches (and willful intent to cover them up) can be. As someone who lived through an identity theft issue, I can tell you it's an absolute nightmare.

As I mentioned, not every taxi company is equal. There's a zero chance I'm going to get ripped off during a cash transaction because the driver is being recorded.
A dashcam won't protect you from fraud. Only GPS tracking will preserve the actual route traveled. It's possible to reconstruct a route from video, but it's a tedious and error-prone process.

A dashcam may protect you from being carjacked, especially if every car in a particular fleet is equipped with a cam and the bad guys know that -- although surveillance cameras are everywhere and bad guys still commit violent crimes. It could support your complaint if there were some kind of controversy with a driver, provided the driver has no access to the recorded files.

But truth be told, dashcams are really there to protect the driver...including in my car!

As a 32 year old female who travels solo for work, I use Uber often and have never had a negative experience. When you order a ride, you can see your driver's star rating and the number of trips he or she has completed. If the numbers are too low for your liking, you can simply cancel the ride.

Its true we hear a lot of negative things about Uber/Lyft on the news, but the same risks go for any taxi or private car service. These things can happen anywhere. Uber/Lyft take background check measures as well, so they still do due diligence on their drivers. If you're not comfortable with Uber/Lyft, you shouldn't be comfortable with taxis or other car services either.

All of this said, I always opt for DME over Uber/Lyft, no matter my arrival time. We have had it take up to 30 minutes even arriving at a decent hour. But we would rather wait and be immersed in Disney on DME, which really feels like the start of our vacation.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Still, that's not a standard feature like it is in every cab for the taxi company I use.
They're more common in rideshare vehicles than you think, but I'm sure it varies a lot from market to market. Lots of us urge our fellow drivers to get a cam on social media.

The drivers I just can't believe are the guys who drive full-time to support their family, drive the drunk hours because the income is better...and DON'T have a dashcam! One phony complaint from an entitled drunk college kid trying to get a free ride, and they will lose more than a cam would have cost. Just doesn't make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter