Looking for good 2 way radios...

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Any tips on how much $$ to spend on ones that works the best while in the parks, and what features are nice to have?

Don't want to spend a fortune, while at the same time I know that the cheapies don't work well either.

Thanks!

I agree with the cheapie comment I purchased a pair of the motorola 2 way(model t5100) for 30.00 before our november trip and they stunk! We tried them the first day and on every channel their was tons of people! Everytime I beeped my husband someone else would respond--I finally heard him say my name in between the hundreds of other talkers and I just said Castle as quick as I could and this was how he found us! It was frustrating. I have heard if you get the 2 way radios with the sub channels you won't have this problem, mine do not have the sub channels. So in my experience I would say stay away from the motorola T5100 in the parks.

We have a set of Cobra microtalk 3's and a pair of Cobra microtalk 2's that we take to WDW with us, and we are satisfied with both. The 3's have a vibrating feature that is nice, but I purchased the pair of 2's for a few more dollars than one of the 3's cost, so I would have to advise getting the less expensive model. Don't even consider radios that do not have sub-channels...they are of little use at WDW. I started researching brands and cost on-line a few months before we left, and watched the on-line ads for stores that carried them. Purchased the 3's at Sports Authority, and the 2's at Best Buy when both were on sale. Good luck!

We were wondering if there were 2-way radios out there that could be used as far as five miles away from each other. My husband saw one brand but could not remember which it was.

I just bought the Cobra microtalk two way radios model FRS 225-2 at K-mart for $69.99. I came home and then found them on Circuit City's website for $59.99 with a $20 rebate on top of that! So the K-mart ones are going back tomorrow!! If there is a Circuit City near you, you just pick them up there and there is no shipping charge. The reviews of these seemed favorable.:D

We just used our new Motorola T6220's at Disney and only once did we have someone else on our channel and it was only for a second so we changed to another channel. They worked out great! They have the sub channels and they vibrate. We picked them up at Best Buys for $64.95 each but got a $15.00 rebate on each one. They were well worth the price. As far as the five mile ones go, I have seen some at Sam's Club and looked at the package. The ones they had only had one channel and it said that you needed a license from the FCC in order to use them. So we went with the Motorola's.

Had to reply about the 5-mile range radios. I saw them recently at Sear's, and was told by a sales associate that a license was indeed required, and they looked "bulkier" than the 2-mile range radios(I think they are called "FRS"). We were able to talk to our daughters at MGM and Epcot from the Boardwalk, MGM to Epcot, and the Polynesian resort from the monorail leaving MK using our 2-mile Cobra's.

I like my Cobra micro-talks. Definitely get the ones with the sub-channels. I wish I had got the ones with rechargable batteries. I've heard bad things about the Bell South brand of radios. I also found that most people start with the lower channels, and you're more apt to get interferance from other parties. We set ours on the one of the mid channels usually.

Circuit city has both the Cobra 225-2 ($59.00) and the Cobra 120-2 ($49.00) --- both have a $20 rebate. I looked at the product specs on line and cannot tell the difference between them. Can anyone recommend the 120-2??? Does anyone know what the difference is?

The Children's Place had some Cobra's over Christmas. I'm not sure if they have sub channels or not. They are $50 for two of them. However, they are 50% off right now. So, if you are looking, you might want to check them out. BTW, the Children's Place is a children's clothing store for those of you who don't know. It is located in malls.

Nicole

It looks like the Cobra 225-2 for $59.99 has the 38 subchannels, while the 120-2 for $49.99 does not. I definately think it is better to get the one with the subchannels based on the posts I have read.:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The radios that have the 5 mile range are commercial radios - like contractors use. They are very bulky and the licence part is true.

I have TalkAbouts - can't remember what model - but they have subchannels, but no vibrate. I really wish I had the vibrate, because there are times when the surrounding noise makes it tough to hear, and I think the vibrate would be hard to miss.

I haven't had problems with interference on the line, but I think more and more people are getting them. My first trip with them, I hardly noticed a soul with them - but the last trip was a different story.

Also - try and find one that has a feature where it stays on a low-power mode until it's buzzed in on. That will save you a lot of batteries in the long run!

We bought two GEC 2-way radios at Walmart last March for $29.95 each. Cheap and cheerful, but they worked fine for us. They have the sub channels so we had lots of frequencies to choose from.
We found there would often be other folk on the same channel but just got used to filtering out the other names and 'looking' for our own.

They worked fine for us in all the parks, but maybe it's quieter in March so easier to use.

HTHs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter