Looking for the most comfortable place to stay with son who has a chronic illness.

cwnhokie

DIS Veteran
We used to go to Disney quite a bit before my son got sick. He's been sick for 3 years but is showing some improvements and wants to go to Disney. He has a condition called POTS which causes extreme fatigue and pain. I'm thinking we are going to have to take it slow with shortened days and rest days in between. I think I'm starting to lean towards off site. There will be 5 of us so I'm leaning towards a 2 bedroom place. I'm trying to find a resort with something for his brothers to do, 16 year old just wants to golf and mini golf and fun pool area for the 9 year old or planned activities. But I'm thinking not super spread out so that if the 14 year old needs to rest in the room or go back to the room it won't be that hard. Suggestions?

Have you considered renting a full house off site? You can easily find a place that has a bedroom for everyone so they can have their privacy to rest, a games room, private pool/hot, etc. You can probably even find one in a resort community that has community facilities with planned activities as well. There are quite a few options out there that would suit your needs and budget.

Any of the great timeshare resorts nearby would suit your situation well. Check out the Sheraton (Vistana Resort or Village), Marriott Palms (Royal, Imperial or Sabal), or Hilton Grand Vacation (Tuscany or Parc Soleil) or the ever popular Bonnet Creek. They all offer great amenities, good luxury with lots of space (2BR or even 3BR at some, and a care-free vacation for you. Rentals are generally around $1,000/wk or less in slow times. There are very good threads here for Bonnet Creek http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-we-loooooove-bonnet-creek-thread-part-4.3366139/ and Vistana Resort http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/ that last one generally curated by yours truly.

Any of the great timeshare resorts nearby would suit your situation well. Check out the Sheraton (Vistana Resort or Village), Marriott Palms (Royal, Imperial or Sabal), or Hilton Grand Vacation (Tuscany or Parc Soleil) or the ever popular Bonnet Creek. They all offer great amenities, good luxury with lots of space (2BR or even 3BR at some, and a care-free vacation for you. Rentals are generally around $1,000/wk or less in slow times. There are very good threads here for Bonnet Creek http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-we-loooooove-bonnet-creek-thread-part-4.3366139/ and Vistana Resort http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/ that last one generally curated by yours truly.

Bonnet Creek is sold out for our time frame. I'm looking at Vistana Resort but was wondering if it's too spread out?

Have you considered renting a full house off site? You can easily find a place that has a bedroom for everyone so they can have their privacy to rest, a games room, private pool/hot, etc. You can probably even find one in a resort community that has community facilities with planned activities as well. There are quite a few options out there that would suit your needs and budget.
I am considering that option because we can swim while he rests and not be far away. Just didn't know if which communities have the best amenities.

Have you looked at Orange Lake? Yes very spread out. But they have a shuttle that runs continously. If you have any questions PM me.

I am considering that option because we can swim while he rests and not be far away. Just didn't know if which communities have the best amenities.

There are quite a few. We are partial to Windsor Hills which is the closest to the parks. It's also gated and walk-able for your older kids who may want to do some exploring.

We stayed in Windsor hills many moons ago, even before we were a party of 5. We may try that again.

Bonnet Creek is sold out for our time frame. I'm looking at Vistana Resort but was wondering if it's too spread out?
It is a large resort, but the amenities are well placed, so most units aren't much more than a block or so from a pool, your older teen would certainly enjoy one of the 3 largest pools, but there are quieter pools as well. The resort is very accommodating for guests with special needs; if you were to put a "Diamond Lane" request in a couple of weeks prior to arrival, they should be able to ensure you have a ground floor (no stairs) unit nearest to one of the pool areas.

Try renting points at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (don't go through their website) It's our favorite place to stay. Always activities going on, lots of different pools and recreation.

We used to go to Disney quite a bit before my son got sick. He's been sick for 3 years but is showing some improvements and wants to go to Disney. He has a condition called POTS which causes extreme fatigue and pain. I'm thinking we are going to have to take it slow with shortened days and rest days in between. I think I'm starting to lean towards off site. There will be 5 of us so I'm leaning towards a 2 bedroom place. I'm trying to find a resort with something for his brothers to do, 16 year old just wants to golf and mini golf and fun pool area for the 9 year old or planned activities. But I'm thinking not super spread out so that if the 14 year old needs to rest in the room or go back to the room it won't be that hard. Suggestions?
If it's within your budget I highly recommend the Four Seasons. Quiet for your younger son with freedom for the older son to go play pool in the teen center, etc.

I tried Vacation Strategy first and they said they were sold out. But I looked on Shelby Resorts and that site looks like I can book it.

We've used Farrell Vacations, and some people have used Ken Price with good results too

We just came back from a stay in Windsor Hills. Three bedrooms each with it's own bathroom, little splash pool in the back, five minute walk to a really nice pool with a slide and little sprinkler play area. Game room, movie theater. All ten minutes from Disney World. We loved it and it was super convenient, and under a thousand for the week. No mini golf on site, but I remember driving past a few places as we traveled around town.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I tried Vacation Strategy first and they said they were sold out. But I looked on Shelby Resorts and that site looks like I can book it.
Shelby Resorts will not refund our money. Long story short, we booked Margaritaville St.Thomas for Christmas this year. The hurricanes damaged the resort so bad that they aren’t opening until after new year. Wyndham refunded all owners points that booked during this time. Shelby Resorts got their points back, but I did not get my money back. I have tried to contact them and showed them their own cancellation policy. They refuse to give me my money back!!! I will continue to stay in Timeshare units but will book on eBay from now on making sure it’s not Shelby Resorts. FYI I’m a Wyndham owner (small points package) and worked for them for many years. I saw that Shelby still has the resort listed on VRBO even though it’s not open

Check out the brand new Grove Resort. It looks incredible and has excellent reviews. Groveresortorlando.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter