Looking to buy DVC - some questions, though

ember1205

Mouseketeer
Hi, all.

Spent some time with a guide discussing some details about making a direct purchase for OKW, but I have a few questions that maybe some folks here can help with:

- If I were to execute the contract entirely in my name so I show as the "sole owner", how does that translate for others in my family to be able to leverage discounts on things like the annual pass? At this stage, I am specifically interesting in this part for acquiring the AP and leveraging other DVC member benefits for my girlfriend (so, last name is currently different).

- Based on our desires for when we can and like to visit and WHERE we like to stay, I am targeting OKW Direct so as to get 2057 expiration and am currently on a waitlist for 75 points with a better use year so that I can also collect 2018 points at the purchase. We could potentially do two five night visits per year, staying in the two lowest point categories on Su-Th visits while staying at OKW and/or AKL (it's always only the two of us). Yes, the point total is slightly higher than the 75, but I honestly don't know if we'll visit twice every year. With being able to bank, borrow, and buy up to 24 points every year, should I be looking at more points right out of the gate or wait to add points later if we find that we are using them every year? My understanding is that I can buy 25 more points in the future, but have to buy them outright (no financing allowed).

- What's the minimum buy-in for points at OKW direct? I was told it's 75, but I believe that was stipulated as being the minimum to carry full benefits. What do I lose if I buy fewer than that?

- AKL points are only a few dollar more per point than OKW. If I buy OKW, am I going to be able to readily book AKL in January or October/November with only 7 months for booking?

- Will the AKL points have a "much better" resale value in 10-15 years than points at OKW? No kids, no one to bequeath them to, so selling them off within the next 15 years is really what I need to plan for. Just wondering if the extra few hundred bucks to buy at AKL would result in a bigger resale value (obviously, no one know what the economy will be like, and recessions are great times to buy but not sell).

- Is there any sort of estimate on how long to hold points before the resale value of them would be about equal to their purchase price (under more of a "worst-case" scenario)?

- If I buy direct and then buy additional points (at the same resort) resale in the future, are there are downsides to know about? Should I be looking at resalepoints that would have a use year to coincide with my original contract?

Thanks in advance to those that are WAY more knowledgeable than I...

Hi, all.

Spent some time with a guide discussing some details about making a direct purchase for OKW, but I have a few questions that maybe some folks here can help with:

- If I were to execute the contract entirely in my name so I show as the "sole owner", how does that translate for others in my family to be able to leverage discounts on things like the annual pass? At this stage, I am specifically interesting in this part for acquiring the AP and leveraging other DVC member benefits for my girlfriend (so, last name is currently different).

- Based on our desires for when we can and like to visit and WHERE we like to stay, I am targeting OKW Direct so as to get 2057 expiration and am currently on a waitlist for 75 points with a better use year so that I can also collect 2018 points at the purchase. We could potentially do two five night visits per year, staying in the two lowest point categories on Su-Th visits while staying at OKW and/or AKL (it's always only the two of us). Yes, the point total is slightly higher than the 75, but I honestly don't know if we'll visit twice every year. With being able to bank, borrow, and buy up to 24 points every year, should I be looking at more points right out of the gate or wait to add points later if we find that we are using them every year? My understanding is that I can buy 25 more points in the future, but have to buy them outright (no financing allowed).

- What's the minimum buy-in for points at OKW direct? I was told it's 75, but I believe that was stipulated as being the minimum to carry full benefits. What do I lose if I buy fewer than that?

- AKL points are only a few dollar more per point than OKW. If I buy OKW, am I going to be able to readily book AKL in January or October/November with only 7 months for booking?

- Will the AKL points have a "much better" resale value in 10-15 years than points at OKW? No kids, no one to bequeath them to, so selling them off within the next 15 years is really what I need to plan for. Just wondering if the extra few hundred bucks to buy at AKL would result in a bigger resale value (obviously, no one know what the economy will be like, and recessions are great times to buy but not sell).

- Is there any sort of estimate on how long to hold points before the resale value of them would be about equal to their purchase price (under more of a "worst-case" scenario)?

- If I buy direct and then buy additional points (at the same resort) resale in the future, are there are downsides to know about? Should I be looking at resalepoints that would have a use year to coincide with my original contract?

Thanks in advance to those that are WAY more knowledgeable than I...

- I think the minimum for OKW right now is 50 points...however you would need to buy the 75 points direct in order to get the Annual Pass discount (which is seems you want to get)...the minimum for AKL is 100 points. Also there is a $20 difference in cost per point...if you're looking at 75 points at OKW it would run you $11,700...to purchase the minimum points at AKL (100) it would cost you $17,600.

- If you buy OKW, you would still have a chance to switch into AKL in January, however trying to switch anywhere at 7 months in the fall (especially lowest point rooms on lowest point days) will be very difficult.

I don't know enough about holding onto points to sell them and maximize value to sell them to touch on those topics.

The Annual Pass if you buy direct with benefits, you can purchase annual passes for household members. If old enough their ID has to have the same address as yours.

AKV seems to be holding price a little better, but it is really hard to tell since not to many 2057 OKW contract hit the market, they are mostly 2042 contracts.

Disney Springs is just a short boat ride or a 20 minute walk away from OKW. From AKV it’s a bus ride.

Both resorts are fairly large in size so there are lots of rooms.

Also don’t buy AKV thinking you can get the Value or Concierge studios all the time. There are not many of them and they are usually gone at 11 month mark or even longer by walking a reservation. If you get them consider it a bonus.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Philsfan77

I thought that the price I was just quoted for AKL points was $162 per as opposed to the $176 your cost is based on. Also, the OKW points were quoted as $155 per for the 2057 expiration (which all direct points will have as Disney only sells them refreshed, or so I was told). Your cost estimate would break down to $156 per (unless you rounded up slightly). Where are you getting your point costs from as at least the OKW ones that I was shown definitely don't match on cost.

The Annual Pass if you buy direct with benefits, you can purchase annual passes for household members. If old enough their ID has to have the same address as yours.

AKV seems to be holding price a little better, but it is really hard to tell since not to many 2057 OKW contract hit the market, they are mostly 2042 contracts.

This is where I'm going to likely run into problems whether only I am listed or if I try and have her listed on the transaction as well. Right now, we have two different legal addresses and it has to remain that way until I can get my house sold (which will almost certainly not happen until AFTER the DVC transaction) because it's financed with a FHA loan. If I try to change my address before paying off the loan, they can demand I pay the loan in its entirety because they could claim it isn't my primary residence.

Thanks for telling me what I didn't want to hear, @SG131 ... lol

Owning at AKL is really the only reliable way to get the Value Studio and it would still allow me to get the Studio at OKW fairly reliably. But, that's a pretty significant price delta... Hmmm. Maybe just buy more points at OKW and plan to stay at the AKV side of things.

This is where I'm going to likely run into problems whether only I am listed or if I try and have her listed on the transaction as well. Right now, we have two different legal addresses and it has to remain that way until I can get my house sold (which will almost certainly not happen until AFTER the DVC transaction) because it's financed with a FHA loan. If I try to change my address before paying off the loan, they can demand I pay the loan in its entirety because they could claim it isn't my primary residence.

Remember to think long term. It sounds as if you are in the process of selling your house. It doesn't matter when the addresses match up just that they match up at the time you go to activate the AP's.

Thanks for telling me what I didn't want to hear, @SG131 ... lol

Owning at AKL is really the only reliable way to get the Value Studio and it would still allow me to get the Studio at OKW fairly reliably. But, that's a pretty significant price delta... Hmmm. Maybe just buy more points at OKW and plan to stay at the AKV side of things.

And owning at AKV still isn't meaning you'll get the value studios easily. They are very popular and a small category and often book right at 8am at 11 months. Do not buy AKV with plan to always book those as you might not always be lucky enough to do so.

The passes will get activated early November and there is no guarantee the house will sell before next summer.

I realize that the studio go fast at AKL, but I could still fall back to the studios at AKV for a few more points with what seems to be generally better availability. I just have to figure out whether we'll be happy mostly staying at OKW with the occasional treat of AKL when we can get the booking.

The passes will get activated early November and there is no guarantee the house will sell before next summer.

I realize that the studio go fast at AKL, but I could still fall back to the studios at AKV for a few more points with what seems to be generally better availability. I just have to figure out whether we'll be happy mostly staying at OKW with the occasional treat of AKL when we can get the booking.

Then you can purchase an AP and she gets a ticket for the November trip. The complications of adding her to a deed just to save the cost between a discounted AP and a ticket could be far greater down the road if your relationship were to end. There's another thread going on right now about such a situation lingering 10 years after the relationship ended.

I’m curious about your thoughts regarding not buying resale. I know you won’t get the AP discount with resale points nor be able to book the soon to open Riviera but w/ AKV points on the resale market at around $110 that’s $3900 or thereabouts less which would buy a few years annual passes.
Also be aware that the discount on APs is not guaranteed, it has changed through the years and it will change in the future I’m sure. The other discounts are pretty much the same as you’ll get with a Disney Chase visa or AP.

From what I understand, I don't get any of the benefits of I don't but direct and there are booking restrictions. I could not care less about Riviera, so that won't be an issue.

What about dining and purchase discounts? Parking? Access to the laundry? I was also told by the DVC Guide that resale no longer allows access to the TOTWL.

I guess what I need to know is where I can find a definitive list of the benefits I am guaranteed to get if I buy resale.

From what I understand, I don't get any of the benefits of I don't but direct and there are booking restrictions. I could not care less about Riviera, so that won't be an issue.

What about dining and purchase discounts? Parking? Access to the laundry? I was also told by the DVC Guide that resale no longer allows access to the TOTWL.

I guess what I need to know is where I can find a definitive list of the benefits I am guaranteed to get if I buy resale.

If you are talking to the DVC "guides" about how resale works, that is your first mistake. Do you know how to tell if a timeshare salesperson is lying? Their lips are moving.

Resale purchasers still have access to TOTWL the last I've heard:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/question-for-resale-owners.3746890/

Resale owners do not have access to dining and shopping discounts. Resale owners of the original 14 are limited to those resorts. Resale owners cannot trade DVC points for cruises or Disney hotels. Resale owners do not have access to the Epcot lounge.

Resale owners do have the option of trading DVC points for other timeshares through RCI. Resale owners get free resort parking and laundry on their DVC stays because it's tied to annual dues charges.

Free parking at the theme parks is a Disney resort guest benefit, not related to being a DVC member.

There's not a definitive list, though, because even direct benefits like the AP discount can disappear at any time. DVC owners have had the option to trade for cruises blocked for months at a time. DVC owners used to get free valet parking, but that disappeared literally overnight.

That guide lied to you about TOTWL and it sounds like a few other things.

TOTWL - yes, all members can still access that. Access to it has varied though. At first only members staying at BLT could visit TOTWL. Then it was finally opened to any members staying onsite at any Disney lodging. It could be removed as an option for all DVC members - that's happened before with a location at BWV that was originally meant for members but Disney decided to dedicate it to outside rentals. Pool hopping is also still offered to all members. That list is diminishing and may end as a perk just because everything has been removed.

Parking lot maintenance at the resorts is paid for by maintenance fees and is free to all members. Theme park parking is a benefit of staying onsite.

Laundy is included for all members.

Dining and retail discounts has been removed. It takes a lot of purchases for that to make a dent in the price difference between resale and direct purchases.

Access to member cruises and other member events has also been removed for resale buyers. If you don't want to do a member cruise then that's not an issue. And if your trip doesn't align with a member event (which is also relatively new and could end at any time) then that also is not an issue. Actually I think buying a ticket to any of the new evening offerings or a party is just as appealing for the resale/direct price difference.

The only booking restriction that applies to DVC resorts is that you would not be allowed to book at Riviera. You can book at any of the other 14 existing resorts and have the exact same booking windows as any other member.

The discounted annual pass is only available to qualified members. As a new resale buyer you would not have access to it. That is the largest financial benefit although it too could change or be removed at any time. It's the easiest to calculate and see how long it might take to recover the difference of buying direct vs resale. For a large family it is more beneficial. If you buy fewer AP's it starts to take many years to recover the difference in purchase price.

Thanks, @Philsfan77

I thought that the price I was just quoted for AKL points was $162 per as opposed to the $176 your cost is based on. Also, the OKW points were quoted as $155 per for the 2057 expiration (which all direct points will have as Disney only sells them refreshed, or so I was told). Your cost estimate would break down to $156 per (unless you rounded up slightly). Where are you getting your point costs from as at least the OKW ones that I was shown definitely don't match on cost.

We bought OKW 2 weeks ago direct...$155

Thanks for the additional info.

While I agree that I didn't get completely accurate information in my conversations with a Guide, I do not believe they outright lied. At least, not intentionally. It's useful for me to point out that A) my discussions with them were short and hurried and B) resulted in a LOT of information to take in at once and I'm sure that I got some details wrong. With that said, they did pointedly make a comment about the BLT property and TOTWL in regards to access... Not necessarily something I'm really worried about per se, but I've read that it could be a nice place to watch the fireworks from and potentially take pictures.

Given that I may well want to be able to book more than "infrequently" at AKL (I'll want to stay there, and not just when there "happens" to be a room) combined with 100 points likely offering me better overall flexibility anyhow, I may just buy resale at AKL and use the lower price point to make it more feasible. I understand and agree that spending $5000 to save $150/year doesn't make sense in the grand scheme - I always evaluate based on total cost and overall value as opposed to specific costs. So, I'm glad of having been reminded that I need to keep that piece in mind.

I couldn't care less about member-only cruises as using points to book a cruise seems like a poor choice of a way to use points (seems to be not economical).

Thanks, @Philsfan77

I just went through the process a couple of months ago and AKL was $176 a point. Maybe they are running a deal right now? But I went back and checked the login portal they gave me to explore all of the resorts, and on the pricing information for AKL on that it says $176 as well, and it was in my notes as well because we debated buying AKL vs. CCV and got quotes on both resorts.

Thanks for the additional info.

While I agree that I didn't get completely accurate information in my conversations with a Guide, I do not believe they outright lied. At least, not intentionally. It's useful for me to point out that A) my discussions with them were short and hurried and B) resulted in a LOT of information to take in at once and I'm sure that I got some details wrong. With that said, they did pointedly make a comment about the BLT property and TOTWL in regards to access... Not necessarily something I'm really worried about per se, but I've read that it could be a nice place to watch the fireworks from and potentially take pictures.

Given that I may well want to be able to book more than "infrequently" at AKL (I'll want to stay there, and not just when there "happens" to be a room) combined with 100 points likely offering me better overall flexibility anyhow, I may just buy resale at AKL and use the lower price point to make it more feasible. I understand and agree that spending $5000 to save $150/year doesn't make sense in the grand scheme - I always evaluate based on total cost and overall value as opposed to specific costs. So, I'm glad of having been reminded that I need to keep that piece in mind.

I couldn't care less about member-only cruises as using points to book a cruise seems like a poor choice of a way to use points (seems to be not economical).

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/dvc-direct-vs-resale/

This link will tell you what you get if you buy direct vs resale.

Honestly, if you're just looking to stay at AKL or OKW...and based on everything you have said matters/doesn't matter to you, i'd really explore the resale market and buy a few more points at AKL. The cost you will save up front, should more than cover what you would spend/save on AP if it remains just you and your girlfriend. Just be prepared in can be a long drawn out process, and I'd check the ROFR message boards on here as there is a summary of all purchases that have passed or been taken and should give you an idea of a price point that should get through quickly. Some people are waiting 40+ days before they hear anything about whether they passed or had it taken, and if it gets taken then process has to start all over again.

I confirmed that the price is still $176 for AKL and I was shown $155 for OKW. Resale seems like it will make more sense in the grand scheme, as does buying at AKL instead (I didn't even realize that there seems to be no King bed option in a studio at OKW and that would be a problem). While OKW is a very nice resort, it seems that staying there would require more points because we would end up having to book a 1BR to get the King bed. Buying at AKL nets more points, so that would help there as well.

Thanks for the link showing the difference in benefits, too. It's amazing how they make it look like resale gets you so little when, in fact, those are all pretty negligible items in the grand scheme (and some can be had in other ways, like having the Annual Pass).

I confirmed that the price is still $176 for AKL and I was shown $155 for OKW. Resale seems like it will make more sense in the grand scheme, as does buying at AKL instead (I didn't even realize that there seems to be no King bed option in a studio at OKW and that would be a problem). While OKW is a very nice resort, it seems that staying there would require more points because we would end up having to book a 1BR to get the King bed. Buying at AKL nets more points, so that would help there as well.

Thanks for the link showing the difference in benefits, too. It's amazing how they make it look like resale gets you so little when, in fact, those are all pretty negligible items in the grand scheme (and some can be had in other ways, like having the Annual Pass).

To be clear, no DVC studios have king beds. At AKV the set up is a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa as is the common set up. A few studios at locations such as PVB and VGF had queen bed and queen sleeper sofa. In all cases you have to go to a 1BR to get a king bed which will be in the master bedroom.

From everything you've talked thru I think AKV resale and getting a few more points is a better direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter