Love bugs

Shacka1

Hakuna Matata
Hello!

I am trying to pick a time to go for our 2021 trip. I would like to go with May but I absolutely cannot deal with the lovebugs. It will 100% ruin my trip.

So with that being said, when should we go? Would beginning of June be a safer bet? Are they there in April?

I know they don't make "reservations" 🤣 but just trying to go off of when they have been there in the past

Thanks!

As a Florida resident of 24 years I laughed a little at this. Last year was awful. More than I can remember in the past 10 years. We do start to see them at the end of April. Usually they are gone by June but there are no promises.
I've heard is said that love bugs are worse in years of low hurricane threat and last year that was for certain. We are supposed to get higher than normal activity so far this year (official forecasts aren't really official yet) so maybe we'll get lucky and have less love bugs.

They are just terrible when they are in high numbers! I know they are just bugs but NO thank you!!! Haha

Thank you for your reply!

We experienced them Memorial Day weekend year before but it wasn’t as bad as I envisioned. I just had to up my ante with explaining to my six year old that they were just really ‘friendly’ bugs hugging a lot. They were larger distraction than I thought they’d be when ‘together’ and they had very little ability to dodge you when they were ‘busy’ floating in the air doing their ummm dance. Of course my preteen was totally grossed out just knowing what those bugs were ‘doing’ which was hilarious 🤣! We did drive to Florida but no I didn’t have to take bottled water and scrape them off the windshield like I had read before our trip. Now our brakes and my nerves going over the mountains well that’s another story.

We experienced them Memorial Day weekend year before but it wasn’t as bad as I envisioned. I just had to up my ante with explaining to my six year old that they were just really ‘friendly’ bugs hugging a lot. They were larger distraction than I thought they’d be when ‘together’ and they had very little ability to dodge you when they were ‘busy’ floating in the air doing their ummm dance. Of course my preteen was totally grossed out just knowing what those bugs were ‘doing’ which was hilarious 🤣! We did drive to Florida but no I didn’t have to take bottled water and scrape them off the windshield like I had read before our trip. Now our brakes and my nerves going over the mountains well that’s another story.
Haha aw man well I'm glad they didn't ruin your time! We experienced them early May one year in Sarasota and there were millions of them, millions!!! It was absolutely horrible. We are planning for June hoping even if there are some left, it won't be the peak of them

They start here around the end of April, first of May and last for about a month. I'm just west of Disney by about 30 minutes so they're about the same timing. They show up again around the end of August. first of September.... yup, twice a year. I've noticed that depending on where you are in the state they might show up earlier or later. Seems like it's related to temperature but I'm no entomologist so that's only a guess.

Yes, my wife's birthday is at the end of September. We celebrated it twice at WDW but never again. The last time, they drive us crazy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!