Love (Disney) in the Time of Cholera (Covid)

k_hase

Mouseketeer
Disney provokes so much drama in my family! We love her, we can't have her, but maybe we can? Gah! What to do?

I gave in. My husband is miserable, I'm miserable, my kid is miserable. We'd booked and rebooked our DVC points and our AP is set to expire. And I was going to try to rebook, again.

And then I read some trip reports, looked at SW policies, considered what I can and can't control, and now we're going for nine nights. :oops:

Initially it was three, at our home (AKL) using several times over rebooked SW tickets, but I started looking at renting someone's dedicated booking from a dvc points broker and then it just snowballed. When my miserable husband said he didn't care anymore, he just needed to get away, I decided to rent a six night booking at BLT, bumping up to our three nights at AKL. SW again changed my tickets, and my only travel booking problem is my rental car (we have an un-changable rental for part, so I added another rental with the same company and hope we can merge; in the worst case, one of us will need to drive to the airport and back with a different car.)

In terms of safety/health precautions I'm feeling okay with flying, carrying my own sanitizer and wipes and we're good with masks. The airports worry me a bit, but again, I think as a small family we can do our best. As for Disney, I'm booking some restaurants, but mostly we are planning on eating in the room/carrying food. I may book two or three dinners. I'm reserving park days, but also reserve the right to say we're leaving if things look crowded. Honestly, pool time is welcome!!

My biggest challenge is work. I'm using a few days, but otherwise will continue to work remotely. This means I'm bringing my full set up--extra monitor (21", will fit in a carry-on soft backpack with laptop and cords), laptop, headset, etc etc etc. My son will have some work to complete as well, but he's been quite capable so far. My husband is the only one off the hook. Boo.

I'm a bit nervous. Worried my co-workers won't like my "remote" location, worried my son's teacher will also not like it, worried about Coronovirus....

Quarantine is required upon our return and is not a problem for me or my son---we both are at home anyway. My husband is essential and therefore is not required to quarantine for 14 days (he's not in health care); he's planning on taking a four days when we return and scheduling a test. He's generally working alone or very distant from others, so I think we can be responsible and careful while still getting some respite from our current circumstances. We live in upstate NY, and have extremely low numbers in our county and December will be a bit early in winter, but warm weather will still be good for our moods and outlook.

So...here's to planning!!

Last edited:
Have a good time! I will be interested in hearing about your trip. We have reservations for December but still undecided if we will go. I'm nervous as well! So hard to decide!

Have a good time! I will be interested in hearing about your trip. We have reservations for December but still undecided if we will go. I'm nervous as well! So hard to decide!

It was hard to decide!! And I'm a bit worried about work too--I'm not IT but am currently providing remote tech support, more help with software then with the coding, you know? I've been at home since March and have not met in person with anyone since then. And yet, there is hubbub about how "remote" your remote work location is. It's going to fine, but I don't like the idea that others would be angry.

I'm working on a schedule that takes advantage of our location at BLT (more walking to MK, hoping for Monorail to Epcot, however unlikely). I moved some meals around from our original three day plan, and have booked parks.

My 9 year old still thinks it's 3 days, so I asked him to prioritize parks. We discussed the crowd levels at HS and the closures. He doesn't care much for Star Wars (I know, I'm not entirely sure he's mine) or ToT, so he puts this part low on his list.

As a result I've got park reservations as follows:
3 days at MK (loves SM, BTM, SDMT, Pirates...)
3 days at AK (his favorite, FOP and Everest are top rides for him)
2 days at Epcot (he likes SE a lot, and Soarin'; the stroll around the World is a suprisingly agreeable time with him too.)
1 day at HS

The 3 MK days are spread over the first 6 days while were at BLT, AK is while were at AKL, including the day we depart.

Now, I'm just waiting for HR to say okay to the personal days so I can actually participate in the fun. I'm honestly okay with not participating, I'll be happy to have a window that looks at sunshine. Right now I work in a literal closet with a view of a bathroom across the hall.

It was hard to decide!! And I'm a bit worried about work too--I'm not IT but am currently providing remote tech support, more help with software then with the coding, you know? I've been at home since March and have not met in person with anyone since then. And yet, there is hubbub about how "remote" your remote work location is. It's going to fine, but I don't like the idea that others would be angry.

I'm working on a schedule that takes advantage of our location at BLT (more walking to MK, hoping for Monorail to Epcot, however unlikely). I moved some meals around from our original three day plan, and have booked parks.

My 9 year old still thinks it's 3 days, so I asked him to prioritize parks. We discussed the crowd levels at HS and the closures. He doesn't care much for Star Wars (I know, I'm not entirely sure he's mine) or ToT, so he puts this part low on his list.

As a result I've got park reservations as follows:
3 days at MK (loves SM, BTM, SDMT, Pirates...)
3 days at AK (his favorite, FOP and Everest are top rides for him)
2 days at Epcot (he likes SE a lot, and Soarin'; the stroll around the World is a suprisingly agreeable time with him too.)
1 day at HS

The 3 MK days are spread over the first 6 days while were at BLT, AK is while were at AKL, including the day we depart.

Now, I'm just waiting for HR to say okay to the personal days so I can actually participate in the fun. I'm honestly okay with not participating, I'll be happy to have a window that looks at sunshine. Right now I work in a literal closet with a view of a bathroom across the hall.

I hope you have a wonderful time. I can completely understand the need for a change of scenery, we haven't been anywhere since this past February. We plan to go to WDW at the end of January 2021, I hope nothing happens that causes us to have to change our plans. Sending you some pixie dust for a great trip! :tink:

Messing around a bit today with meals...Is it possible that there is not one California Grill dinner over an entire week? I'll keep checking, but that seems weird. I've been able to get other meals and I was under the impression that it was open....

I'm going to vent just a wee bit re employers.

My job is not supposed to be remote, I'm supposed to work very closely with teams of people and individuals, some of that is fine remote, but we'd all really love to be with our people again. I've been working from home since March 16. I've gone to the office one time, in July, when my team had to learn how to use some new video equipment (I've not been in the same room with that equipment since, I hope the people using it are fine!). I've continued to work at home, in most cases far beyond normal work hours, because people need help. In the past few weeks my team has worked really hard to set specific boundaries about our hours, for our sanity mostly.

This is why I'm okay with going to Disney for 7 work days. I'm bringing my home office with me, I'll work, and after my day is over I'll join my family (we stagger ourselves a bit, to cover more hours of the day but let us have some balance, so I am supposed to end around 3 most of the time). I requested two days off, so that I wouldn't have to be present at my remote desk. Immediately following my email, a full staff email was sent with a memo dated 9 days ago, essentially warning everyone that if they go to a state on the list they must quarantine and if you're job is not remote you won't be paid. I asked some quiet questions to some trusted folks and learned that I'm not considered remote. I AM NOT A REMOTE WORKER! Go back and read the previous paragraph for why this was shocking information to me. Basically, my boss is unable to secure us socially distanced work space and we are not allowed to enter other facilities but HR didn't approve us for a health accommodation to work remotely, so we're not remote to them and therefore quarantine means no pay. Despite the reality that I am actually doing my job from my house.

Gah. I'm not going to argue about it, I removed my request for my days off instead. I'm not going to argue with them about where I work, and then get denied two weeks of pay.

So I'm being deceptive. I don't like it. I was honest in that I was leaving the state, but now I'm not telling anyone anything. I'm not taking any days off, I'll work in the hotel on work days. And when we get back I'll work at home like normal, doing my state required quarantine AND my job. It's ridiculous.

Two changes of note this weekend:

1. Spice Road Table--we have reservations twice, b/c I was had not yet cancelled one of them. Disney cancelled the second one for me b/c of it's imminent closure. We will be there on it's last night and I wonder if they will have a full menu.

2. NYS Quarantine Rules--Until this weekend, everyone entering NYS from a state on the list had to sign some docs at the airport (this seems to be not in every airport) and quarantine for 14 days, with what appears to be random texts/calls to check on in that. Now, you can avoid this (I think, I'm still trying to understand the official language) by getting showing a negative test result from the previous 72 hours at the entry point, then quarantining for three days, then getting a test with a negative result on the fourth day.

The obvious problem with this is the ability to get the results in a reasonable time. I don't know quite how to get a test and results in Orlando with 72 hours of our flight. I know we have no local testing places that get you quick test result, so the 3 days, then test, then you can un-quarantine actually isn't much better than the 14 days we were planning on. Best case scenario for this new plan for avoiding a 14 day home stay would, for us, probably be 7 days but most people I know are not getting results back in 3 days. Our 7 days would take us to December 22. Then we'd be home anyway for the holidays (my parents live in my house, so we also would be able to see them, without breaking our quarantine).

I'm thinking about getting an Owner's Locker for my extra monitor... If I'd had that set up, I could have loaned it to you! Maybe next time

I'm thinking about getting an Owner's Locker for my extra monitor... If I'd had that set up, I could have loaned it to you! Maybe next time

Thanks! But I hope I never have to do this again!! I'd really prefer to be on vacation when on vacation.

The actual dimensions of monitor are 12.5" x 20" so it will fit fine in a the convertible backpack (the kind that are soft, but the size of roller back, where the straps tuck in?). We'll carry that on, with our normal extra change of clothes and small toiletries, but check everything else.

I'm going to vent just a wee bit re employers.

My job is not supposed to be remote, I'm supposed to work very closely with teams of people and individuals, some of that is fine remote, but we'd all really love to be with our people again. I've been working from home since March 16. I've gone to the office one time, in July, when my team had to learn how to use some new video equipment (I've not been in the same room with that equipment since, I hope the people using it are fine!). I've continued to work at home, in most cases far beyond normal work hours, because people need help. In the past few weeks my team has worked really hard to set specific boundaries about our hours, for our sanity mostly.

This is why I'm okay with going to Disney for 7 work days. I'm bringing my home office with me, I'll work, and after my day is over I'll join my family (we stagger ourselves a bit, to cover more hours of the day but let us have some balance, so I am supposed to end around 3 most of the time). I requested two days off, so that I wouldn't have to be present at my remote desk. Immediately following my email, a full staff email was sent with a memo dated 9 days ago, essentially warning everyone that if they go to a state on the list they must quarantine and if you're job is not remote you won't be paid. I asked some quiet questions to some trusted folks and learned that I'm not considered remote. I AM NOT A REMOTE WORKER! Go back and read the previous paragraph for why this was shocking information to me. Basically, my boss is unable to secure us socially distanced work space and we are not allowed to enter other facilities but HR didn't approve us for a health accommodation to work remotely, so we're not remote to them and therefore quarantine means no pay. Despite the reality that I am actually doing my job from my house.

Gah. I'm not going to argue about it, I removed my request for my days off instead. I'm not going to argue with them about where I work, and then get denied two weeks of pay.

So I'm being deceptive. I don't like it. I was honest in that I was leaving the state, but now I'm not telling anyone anything. I'm not taking any days off, I'll work in the hotel on work days. And when we get back I'll work at home like normal, doing my state required quarantine AND my job. It's ridiculous.

I am feeling ALL of this. We are going in early December and this will be my first week off in all of 2020. Not exaggerating. (we work in public health, so COVID has been our lives since January). And I'm not telling anyone where we're going. Decided it wasn't worth the judgement and drama. If we any more exposed and at risk there than we are from having to go into the office or the kids being at school, then we'll be responsible and quarantine. But there are a whole lot of people traveling over Thanksgiving who won't be doing us that courtesy on their return and aren't getting the judgement we would for going to WDW. I'm so sorry for your frustrations, just know that there are people who get it!

I fell victim to the dining glitch the other day! I was able to add one ADR at California Grill that, according to DFB, will be cancelled and I'll get a $25 gift card. I was surprised to see it available, and also tried for Oga's but right then the system shut down.

It's fine. I like going there and I figure I'll keep checking in case there is a cancellation, but no great changes to my plans and I don't stand to lose anything else I booked. And $25. That should be good for a drink and a half.

Oh yes I can relate.
Good for you -- Go and Enjoy!
I used up all my excess points from May and June cancelled trips and going for 9 days end of December. Come Hell or Highwater I am getting out of here! Have 2 parks booked but thinking will cancel as my adult children don't want to do the parks and I don't want to waste my non-expiring park hopper so will go along. I was fine with either but worry about crowding around holidays and being stuck in one park. We were cleaning the planes for SW long before COVID so this will be no different...maybe lil more cleaning but always did the seat trays, hand rest, seat belt buckle. Riviera and Beach Club here we come...oh yeah and March and June too.
Great to hear all the positive reports and planning. pixiedust:

Oh yes I can relate.
Good for you -- Go and Enjoy!
I used up all my excess points from May and June cancelled trips and going for 9 days end of December. Come Hell or Highwater I am getting out of here! Have 2 parks booked but thinking will cancel as my adult children don't want to do the parks and I don't want to waste my non-expiring park hopper so will go along. I was fine with either but worry about crowding around holidays and being stuck in one park. We were cleaning the planes for SW long before COVID so this will be no different...maybe lil more cleaning but always did the seat trays, hand rest, seat belt buckle. Riviera and Beach Club here we come...oh yeah and March and June too.
Great to hear all the positive reports and planning. pixiedust:

By all accounts, planes are pretty safe places (there was DoD study, I'd have to find it) and I plan to wipe everything too! We're going in mid December, so not holiday and we have annual passes, so if we go to parks it's fine, but yes, I'm just looking forward to working in a space that is not my windowless office!!!

My home office is actually a closet. A literal closet. The previous owner made some choices with the stairs and the result was a closet that is too little to be a walk in but much deeper than a typical hall closet, it's 3'x4', so not huge, but also note the best use of the space (it was supposed to be the entrance to the basement stairs, which he decided should be in a bedroom, making it not bedroom, but the laundry room with stairs to the basement? I don't know). I took all the coats out and added a built in desk surface and shelves b/c I could no longer stand my work area being right next to bed. The consequence is that I sit in a closet and I can't see a window. I get a lot done, but I'd really like to look outside!!

Wow!! I’m so sorry to hear about the workplace drama. I hope you’re able to get it all worked out & still have a wonderful vacation!! We have some pretty high risk people in my family (me being one of them!), and we’re always careful about (all) germs, so we got more than one crossed eye when we said we were going to Disney!!! But I just got back from a trip with my boys & we had a fantastic time. I actually did get sick while there (due to my health issues- not germs), but I’m still thrilled that we got to go!! No regrets! 🤩

I can’t wait to go back in December with my hubby & again in March with my whole fam!!! 😆

Optics are hard to deal with, but at some point we need to be able to not worry about them- just do what’s right for our own families & be understanding if someone is in a different place.

ETA: I know what you’re dealing with is far worse than merely optics- I’m not trying to downplay your situation! I really do hope you’re able to be paid without feeling like you need to be less than honest. I had a similar feeling getting back on a plane home... there were COVID things I had to say I hadn’t experienced, but I had! But since I knew it was from my condition and not COVID, I still “signed” the waiver. It felt dishonest & I really hated it, but I knew the truth.

Last edited:
The consequence is that I sit in a closet and I can't see a window. I get a lot done, but I'd really like to look outside!!

Windows are overrated!! I need to get shades because it was so bright in my “home” office today. Between The sunlight and the virtual background fluttering, I couldn’t wait to get off the call. And, far to often I look out that window to see neighbor in PJ's on phone yelling at someone (at work I guess) from the garage.

My new approach to our December trip is to tell as few people as possible and not mention Disney. It will still be a very low key trip. I find many have an opinion until it’s their time to do some thing.

For the past three weeks I have gone to the real office (1 day a week) in NYC and it really feels good. Commuter rail was fairly clean and bit empty (never thought that would make me sad). I have not mentioned I am going to Florida but guess I should and I don't think we are rushing back to the office come Jan 2021. Plan on just doing the 14 day quarantine like I did when I got back from Maryland in August, but will see how this new approach works before making any decisions.

Lets all go have fun with our families, be safe and have a Mickey Bar or two.:lovestruc

ETA: I know what you’re dealing with is far worse than merely optics- I’m not trying to downplay your situation! I really do hope you’re able to be paid without feeling like you need to be less than honest. I had a similar feeling getting back on a plane home... there were COVID things I had to say I hadn’t experienced, but I had! But since I knew it was from my condition and not COVID, I still “signed” the waiver. It felt dishonest & I really hated it, but I knew the truth.

Since I'm not asking for any days off AND not telling anyone that we're doing anything AND I don't actually ever 'go' to work I won't have to fill out any forms. I use a virtual background that varies and I'm just keeping all my appointments etc as I normally would. I did get an evening meeting (ugh) shifted to a better day, but that's a pretty normal thing that happens anyway b/c people are busy and have kids and go to grad school and get hair cuts. So, I'm good, just kind sad I can't share. So share here!!

Windows are overrated!! I need to get shades because it was so bright in my “home” office today. Between The sunlight and the virtual background fluttering, I couldn’t wait to get off the call. And, far to often I look out that window to see neighbor in PJ's on phone yelling at someone (at work I guess) from the garage.

My new approach to our December trip is to tell as few people as possible and not mention Disney. It will still be a very low key trip. I find many have an opinion until it’s their time to do some thing.

For the past three weeks I have gone to the real office (1 day a week) in NYC and it really feels good. Commuter rail was fairly clean and bit empty (never thought that would make me sad). I have not mentioned I am going to Florida but guess I should and I don't think we are rushing back to the office come Jan 2021. Plan on just doing the 14 day quarantine like I did when I got back from Maryland in August, but will see how this new approach works before making any decisions.

Lets all go have fun with our families, be safe and have a Mickey Bar or two.:lovestruc

I used to have my desk in my master bedroom, right in front a very nice window. The light was great (and honestly, it always made me look better on a Teams call) but I found that I couldn't separate myself from work with my desk 5 feet away from my bed. I'd check email first thing, and last thing, and sometimes think of something and go take care of it in the middle of the night. And sometimes I'd never make it downstairs before i started working, sitting there in my PJs. So we converted this tiny space so I could shut the door and actually had to 'go to my office' to work. It's helped my sleep tremendously and gives my some boundaries. But I miss my view. Today it's an unseasonable sunny and warm day I'll miss the entire thing b/c of early sunset and back to back meetings. (maybe I'll take my emailing outside...)

So today's project was a call to my son's teacher explaining our plan. She was lovely. She encouraged me to get the rapid quarantine procedure rather than wait 14 days so that Adam could be in school the two days before xmas break. Not because of academics, but b/c t would be nice to see his friends and celebrate some holiday stuff with them.

The school health office followed up, and let me know where I can get the rapid test locally and so it looks like that's what we're doing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!