Luggage tags and Air Canada

MandyLovesMulan

A girl worth fighting for!
Just wondering if you wait until you arrive in MCO to attach the yellow disney tags for magical express transportation... since we must do customs and collect our baggage before we get on buses.

I've been told that conflicting tags might confuse airline scanners, so I am thinking of attaching them in Florida.

When I drove to Toronto to catch a flight to Hawaii I went through customs at the departing airport.
If that is the case with you then you can put your yellow tags on at your departure airport and then you should be able to have your luggage taken by Disney from the luggage carousel and delivered to your room.

If you must go through customs at MCO because you didn't at your departure airport then you should not be putting the yellow tags on at all.
You'll pick them up at MCO and go through customs and then take your luggage to the bus and take it off the bus at your resort.

Just wondering if you wait until you arrive in MCO to attach the yellow disney tags for magical express transportation... since we must do customs and collect our baggage before we get on buses.

I've been told that conflicting tags might confuse airline scanners, so I am thinking of attaching them in Florida.
Which airport are you flying out of -- in most major ones that AC fly out of, you will pre-clear customs in Canada meaning you don't need to get your bags when you get to MCO.

Which airport are you flying out of -- in most major ones that AC fly out of, you will pre-clear customs in Canada meaning you don't need to get your bags when you get to MCO.
This is correct.

OP...if you do have to collect your bags at MCO for some reason you will then have to take the bags to the bus yourself. The yellow tags are useless at that point.

One time when we went (maybe 8 years ago) we went though customs in Orlando and had to pick up our bags and take them to the ME area. From there they delivered them directly to our room, so we still used the yellow tags because we didn't actually put them on/off the bus ourselves. I'm not sure if it's changed since then.

We flew out of Toronto, and we put the yellow tags on before checking the bags in. An Air Canada employee at the airport told me that they have a system for Orlando flights and they are more than aware of the DME tags, know how to handle them etc... Whether that's actually true or just something they were saying to make me feel better, I'm not sure. But we tagged our bags in Toronto, and later in the day they appeared in our POR room. So something must have worked :)

We are flying out of Pearson/Toronto . . . I never heard of pre-clearing customs. I thought all foreigners had to go through customs as soon as touching down in new country (hence the paper cards they always hand out on flights).

Can anyone confirm whether their bags were brought from airport to their resort room?
I thought this was only an option for Americans (or maybe people flying out of Buffalo).

We are flying out of Pearson/Toronto . . . I never heard of pre-clearing customs. I thought all foreigners had to go through customs as soon as touching down in new country (hence the paper cards they always hand out on flights).

Can anyone confirm whether their bags were brought from airport to their resort room?
I thought this was only an option for Americans (or maybe people flying out of Buffalo).
Yes. Flying from Toronto you will pre clear US customs before you even board the plane. It's been that way for decades. This being the case you put the yellow tags for DME on your checked bags before you hand them over at Pearson. They will arrive in your resort room 3-4 hours after you check in to the resort.

You will get the paper card to fill out on the way HOME. Flying out of Pearson you do in fact pre-clear customs and will arrive in Orlando as a "domestic" passenger with no need to stop anywhere. Your bags will in fact get delivered to your room if you have put the yellow tags on them before you hand them over in Pearson. IF you arrive BEFORE 10 pm (someone confirm the time cut-off please??) the bags will get pulled before they even get to the terminal.

There is a great section on the Pearson website that will show you the process that is now in place.
Departing to the USA from Pearson
summary of what happens:
upload_2017-8-21_23-34-15.png
Link to an awesome video explaining how to use the Automated Kiosks

Using the Automated Passport Control

When flying out of Toronto International (Pearson), put your yellow tags on your luggage before you get to the airport. Make sure the yellow tags are on your bags before you check them.

You then pre-clear US customs in Toronto. When you land in Orlando, you simply follow the crowd to the monorail and then follow the signs down to ground transportation for the Magical Express to catch your bus to your Disney resort. Your bags will arrive in your room approx 3-6 hrs after you check-in.

Yes, definitely if you are flying from Pearson you put the yellow tags on. You will clear US customs & immigration in Toronto not Orlando and your bags will be delivered for you. You fill out the card before clearing customs in Toronto. We've done this 8 or so times. Never had a problem - our luggage was always delivered. Note, however, that if you are landing late at night, you do still have to pick up your luggage. I think 10 pm is the cutoff time.

You do not even fill out a form anymore. You stand in line, go to a kiosk. Enter some basic information, scan your passport, get a picture taken, answer some questions and a slip pops out. Take the slip with your passport to another line and then wait to get called to a USCBP agent and they look at your slip and passport, maybe ask a question or two and off you go. Unless you get flagged that is.

Note, however, that if you are landing late at night, you do still have to pick up your luggage. I think 10 pm is the cutoff time.
This is correct....off time is 10pm. I would highly recommend that if your flight lands after 5pm you go and collect your own bags. Otherwise you might have to either be woken up in the night by the delivery or wait until morning. Things have slowed down with the delivery from the airport to the resorts.

Marginally off the original topic, but CBSA now has an app that lets you fill in your declaration in advance, and generates a QR code to scan at the kiosks. So not only do you not have to fill out a paper form, but you can also streamline the whole kiosk process. You probably still have to scan passports and do the pictures at the kiosks. The touchscreens on those kiosks were awful the last time we used them though, so anything that streamlines is a Good Thing. I discovered the app just AFTER we cleared customs on our last US flight, so I haven't actually gone through the whole process yet.

The app is called "eDeclaration" in Google Play and looks like it's currently only supported for Ottawa and Vancouver arrivals.

(To be clear, I'm talking about the flight home to Canada here, not the outbound flight. Thus "marginally off topic".)

Last edited:
This is correct....off time is 10pm. I would highly recommend that if your flight lands after 5pm you go and collect your own bags. Otherwise you might have to either be woken up in the night by the delivery or wait until morning. Things have slowed down with the delivery from the airport to the resorts.

In my experience they won't actually wake you, unless maybe you're not a very sound sleeper. We had a bag delayed on our last trip (long story), and it came to the resort late. When we got up it was waiting just inside the door.

I guess it's a little creepy to think that someone could come into your room in the middle of the night, but that bag had nearly all of our clothes in it, so we were pretty happy to see it.

Not sure what they would do if the chain was set. I guess they would knock (presumably they did that anyway, and we just didn't hear) and if you didn't answer they would take it back to Bell Services for the night. They don't deliver all night long - I think I was told that they would deliver if it arrived before 1 or 2 am.

Marginally off the original topic, but CBSA now has an app that lets you fill in your declaration in advance, and generates a QR code to scan at the kiosks

There's also Mobile Passport produced by US CBP which does the same thing for going TO the US for Canadian and US passport holders. I haven't used it yet - I will be trying in November. I don't know if it's only for those with Nexus cards or not, as it does refer to USA Pre Check. We were updating the passport information on our Nexus cards when we heard about this. Claims that it works at most major US air and cruise ports.

Thanks for this though! I just downloaded the CBSA CanBorder app. Hopefully, Pearson will be included by November.

Last edited:
There's also Mobile Passport produced by US CBP which does the same thing for going TO the US for Canadian and US passport holders. I haven't used it yet - I will be trying in November. I don't know if it's only for those with Nexus cards or not, as it does refer to USA Pre Check. We were updating the passport information on our Nexus cards when we heard about this. Claims that it works at most major US air and cruise ports.

Thanks for this though! I just downloaded the CBSA CanBorder app. I should be all set for November now.

Nice! I'll look into this one too, thanks!

In my experience they won't actually wake you, unless maybe you're not a very sound sleeper. We had a bag delayed on our last trip (long story), and it came to the resort late. When we got up it was waiting just inside the door.

I guess it's a little creepy to think that someone could come into your room in the middle of the night, but that bag had nearly all of our clothes in it, so we were pretty happy to see it.

Not sure what they would do if the chain was set. I guess they would knock (presumably they did that anyway, and we just didn't hear) and if you didn't answer they would take it back to Bell Services for the night. They don't deliver all night long - I think I was told that they would deliver if it arrived before 1 or 2 am.

Ok. Wait. Someone dropped your bags IN YOUR ROOM in the middle of the night while you were sleeping?

Nope. Nuh-uh. No way.

Another reason we always have the latch closed - this is beyond creepy IMO.

Which resort were you staying at?

Ok. Wait. Someone dropped your bags IN YOUR ROOM in the middle of the night while you were sleeping?

Nope. Nuh-uh. No way.

Another reason we always have the latch closed - this is beyond creepy IMO.

Which resort were you staying at?

SSR. In a one-bedroom unit, so we were sleeping in the other room, behind a closed door. I'm sure they knocked, and when we didn't answer, they opened the door and set the bags inside, same as they would do if you were out in the middle of the afternoon and they tried to deliver. They would have had no way of knowing whether we were in the room or not. We usually set the chain, but must have forgotten that night.

Personally I didn't see it as a big deal. I'm pretty confident that Disney employees don't make a habit of prowling around in people's rooms while they are sleeping, and they probably didn't even actually enter the room in this instance; they wouldn't need to go further than the doorway. That said, I can see how people would be uncomfortable with the idea. I imagine if your bags haven't arrived by the time you are ready to head to bed, you could just call down to Bell Services and ask them to hold your bags until morning.

SSR. In a one-bedroom unit, so we were sleeping in the other room, behind a closed door. I'm sure they knocked, and when we didn't answer, they opened the door and set the bags inside, same as they would do if you were out in the middle of the afternoon and they tried to deliver. They would have had no way of knowing whether we were in the room or not. We usually set the chain, but must have forgotten that night.

Personally I didn't see it as a big deal. I'm pretty confident that Disney employees don't make a habit of prowling around in people's rooms while they are sleeping, and they probably didn't even actually enter the room in this instance; they wouldn't need to go further than the doorway. That said, I can see how people would be uncomfortable with the idea. I imagine if your bags haven't arrived by the time you are ready to head to bed, you could just call down to Bell Services and ask them to hold your bags until morning.

Ok. That makes more sense.

This would not have gone over well with me at a resort like Pop.

I couldn't figure out how you slept thorough it!! That's why I asked what resort you were at.

Thanks for the clarification!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!