Magic Bands - contactless?

Interesting perspective, but I think it's not necessarily true everywhere. Contactless payment has exploded here in my area (a "hot zone" for sure) and even small local shops and ice cream vendors etc ... have embraced contactless payment after resisting for a long time. Most everyone supports this, both because of Covid and for general convenience, so I don't think you will see this go back. I suspect contactless is here to stay. However, here in my world social distancing, masks and other Covid safety measures remain common and firmly in place, so it's clearly a different world. I am a little surprise to hear there are places where these measures are "nonexistent" but that is only from my lens.
Ditto this for my area as well. I can definitely see where I'd feel differently if it hadn't hit my area very hard (yet or hopefully at all), hard to take it seriously until it is at your doorstep. We're trending downward and I think we have our state leadership and community diligence to thank for it.

I wish this would finally push Disney to allow AP holders to link a card for paying with a magicband. Seems like it would be a simple thing, but I don't know why they don't do it unless you're staying at a resort. We don't always stay on property, but I love the convenience when we do!

Ditto this for my area as well. I can definitely see where I'd feel differently if it hadn't hit my area very hard (yet or hopefully at all), hard to take it seriously until it is at your doorstep. We're trending downward and I think we have our state leadership and community diligence to thank for it.

I wish this would finally push Disney to allow AP holders to link a card for paying with a magicband. Seems like it would be a simple thing, but I don't know why they don't do it unless you're staying at a resort. We don't always stay on property, but I love the convenience when we do!
Agree with all of this. I also think we will see an Apply Pay like system through My Disney Experience, which would bypass the lost magic band/no pin issue. Everyone carries their phone along with their magic band anyway. Further, I think this will hopefully push a possible app on the Apple Watch to replace magic bands entirely for those who wish to. I understand that this is a more significant change that will take time, but I really belive contactless everythign is here to stay, even in a future Post-Covid world.

I really hate using my MB just cause of the way it comes off your card you have on file... i prefer using my samsung pay i dont touch anything and im not going with out my phone so its not s big deal.

I really hate using my MB just cause of the way it comes off your card you have on file... i prefer using my samsung pay i dont touch anything and im not going with out my phone so its not s big deal.

Ah, now that's exactly why I like Magic Bands! So that all charges during my stay end up as one transaction on my credit card with an itemised list from Disney. And if I want to I can pay some or all of it off before checking out with cash or gift card - this is sometimes important for overseas visitors where creit card charges on foreign currency can hurt. That's the only limitation I find with Mobile Order at the moment, you can't charge to your hotel room via Magic Band.

Ah, now that's exactly why I like Magic Bands! So that all charges during my stay end up as one transaction on my credit card with an itemised list from Disney. And if I want to I can pay some or all of it off before checking out with cash or gift card - this is sometimes important for overseas visitors where creit card charges on foreign currency can hurt. That's the only limitation I find with Mobile Order at the moment, you can't charge to your hotel room via Magic Band.
That make sense, we have our trips completely paid for before we go and buy souvenirs and food and such out of our bank account... So its nice to know real balance info for us. Shows there is a reason why there are so many ways to pay :)

☝this.
The fact that people didn't do simple things like this is why we are here.

No, people then poking their dirty fingers into mucous membranes is “why we’re here.”

Just like with norovirus, you can touch it all day long if you’d like; it’s when you eat with those fingers or rub your eyes or bite your nails etc that transmission happens. Get rid of nasty habits, wash your hands, and use utensils rather than fingers, and most of the problem is fine.

Sanitize a magicband? What is being done with a band that’s causing transmission?

The reason I stopped putting my credit card on my Magic Band was the whole bit with the holds they put on the accounts. I did not have one single card that would accomodate both the holds (which can take up to 10 days to come off) and the actual charges. For information on this procedure, search the forum for Holds on Credit Cards.

I recently ordered a bunch of mini-styluses that are meant to attach to your phone with a plug that goes into the audio port so you don't lose it--I'm going to replace the plug with a retractable key reel and keep it clipped to a shoulder bag or belt loop so it's always at hand. I plan to use that for keypads and touch screens and to wash the stylus (heck, and the magicband) every time I wash my hands. I'm going to see how that goes in regular day to day life first; if anything I think it'll be easier at WDW since I don't have to hand over my credit card and get any potential transfer of germs on my hands as a result.

Can we use a DEBIT card for our payment with a magic band ?

Can we use a DEBIT card for our payment with a magic band ?
You can. Paying with a magic band does not hit a card directly. It charges to your resort folio. Once the folio balance reaches a certain point (varies by resort level), they will then charge your card on file to pay the balance. They also place holds on your card to cover the potential charges and people have stated that those holds can take a while to fall off. Just make sure you are aware of how it works and you are ok with that before choosing to use your debit card.

My last trip, I lost my magic band at HS on the star wars ride. My daughter grabbed my wrist during the ride and I was almost all the way out before realizing I did not have it on. A cast member found it and I was able to get it back from them in their "lost and found". Now, if anyone could have picked that band up and started charging, w/out a PIN needed, that would have not worked out well for me as the owner of that magic band. Disney will need some sort of authentication as you can't have thousands of potential bands out there which can be used fraudulently.

it is pretty obvious COVID is not the big deal it was......social distancing and masks are pretty non existant now a days. I would expect going back to the old normal pretty quick now that everyone realized covid is not the world ender we were told it was.

where are you living? Here in Maryland, masks are still required in any public area, gatherings above 10 are still banned, and many stores you have to wait outside since they only let in a few at a time. Gyms, restaurants, etc are closed.

i.e. the regulations are still in full effect here. The only thing that’s let up is that businesses are allowed to open- as long as they follow the guidelines.

This new video shows a Magic Band being scanned at a payment terminal, without PIN entry, and a nearby mobile phone instantly says "Payment Confirmed". Interesting! Is this is a tie-in with Apple Pay, Google Pay etc, does the authentication happen on the phone with fingerprint etc? But if that's the case, why use the Magic Band, as payment terminals can already use Apple Pay etc. OR perhaps Magic Band payments are being integrated with MDE with mobile authentication, a sort of Disney Pay?

Last edited:
This new video shows a Magic Band being scanned at a payment terminal, without PIN entry, and a nearby mobile phone instantly says "Payment Confirmed". Interesting! Is this is a tie-in with Apple Pay, Google Pay etc, does the authentication happen on the phone with fingerprint etc? But if that's the case, why use the Magic Band, as payment terminals can already use Apple Pay etc. OR perhaps Magic Band payments are being integrated with MDE with mobile authentication, a sort of Disney Pay?
Interesting! I'm hoping that its further integration with the Disney app that would allow you to use your iPhone instead of a MB for tickets, FP, purchases, etc.

What if your phone dies? Do you carry other ways to pay?

What if your phone dies? Do you carry other ways to pay?
No, just my phone.
But i am use to it, I use my samsung pay mostly at home as well.
My phone stays charged i have a fuel rod... i exchange it everytime i see one no matter if i need it or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!