Magic bands w/o resort stay

mom2aprincenprincess

Mom to 2 prince's and 1 princess
This has probably been addressed before, but I can’t find it. Can I get Magic Bands without staying in a resort on site? Unfortunately we will be staying off site this visit, but we all really want to use magic bands. I’ve seen people talk about linking their previously used magic bands with their new vacation plans in MDE.

Do you have magic bands from a previous onsite stay?
If so then you're good to go.
If you don't already have magic bands you can certainly purchase them and use the code on the back of the band to link them to your MDE account.
Bottom line is you don't have to stay onsite in order to use a magic band

Do you have magic bands from a previous onsite stay?
If so then you're good to go.
If you don't already have magic bands you can certainly purchase them and use the code on the back of the band to link them to your MDE account.
Bottom line is you don't have to stay onsite in order to use a magic band
Thanks. We don’t have any from a previous stay. Our last stay was in 2011 before magic bands

Odd question, if we're staying at a resort but have bought some of the fancy character bands to use instead, can we keep the unused Magic Bands and give them to someone else?

Thanks! What a waste, I was hoping to be able to pass them onto someone...

Not really a waste because you can still use them yourself at any point. The waste was technically purchasing the special ones but I myself have a Figment one I purchased even though I have plenty of complimentary ones from staying onsite so obviously I see the draw to them :)

As an FYI without a resort stay you can only use them for park entry and FP's, you will not have charging privileges.

You also can use Magic Bands for Photopass photos and ride photos (assuming you have an Annual Pass or are MDE friends with someone who does or you purchase Memory Maker) whether or not you are staying onsite.

I know this was discussed when they first came out, but how long will the RFID last in a magic band? I am guessing that there is some "shelf life" when they will not function?

I know this was discussed when they first came out, but how long will the RFID last in a magic band? I am guessing that there is some "shelf life" when they will not function?

I've read from three to five years...

The far field portion, think ride pics and videos, has a limited shelf life. The near field portion, think kissing mickey stuff like admission, FP's, photopass/memory maker photographers etc supposedly could last forever or at the very least a long longer. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing if the far field battery portion has run out until you check your Memory Maker and realize you don't have those ride videos/photos.

Originally IIRC Disney said 2 years for the battery, but that may have been on the side of caution but lots of DISBorders have said theirs have lasted longer. I'm not sure if the MB 2.0's battery life is projected to be longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter