Magic Bands

I actually wasn't a fan of the whole Magic Band idea at first, but as the family "holder" I absolutely love them now. Throw my band on in the morning and I am set for the day. I really do hope they keep the Magic Bands and keep the cost nominal for resort guests. I think an interchangeable phone/magic band system would be perfect. I can see advantages to both.

Magic bands are great for kids. Little kids love them and feel powerful and more "in charge" with the ability to open the room door at the touch of their wrists. Mine would run ahead and argue about whose turn it was to open the door. And they loved scanning their bands to get into the parks and FastPass lines. It made them feel grown up to have a little more personal agency over things.

Now that my kids are older they still love them and I love how useful they are. They can get into the room on their own without having to carry a card key (that they'd likely lose) and they can pay for food and other items without having to carry cash (that they'd likely lose). My daughter can carry a phone in her purse but my son doesn't carry a phone in the parks--he'd lose it.

I could get used to using my phone for everything if necessary but I'd prefer to keep it in my bag during vacation. Once I get it out, I'll quickly check my voicemails, then maybe my email, and the next thing you know I'm sitting out an attraction to catch up on work stuff. I know because this is what my husband does, haha. I don't want this to be me so my phone stays in the bag unless I need to mobile order or check a wait time or take a picture. I don't do the FastPass "refresh refresh refresh" strategy that a lot of people use to get more FastPasses because I don't want to walk around on my phone constantly.

I'm usually a person who enjoys change, and if magic bands go away I'll get used to it and look on the bright side, but I'll be sad to for little kids who never get to experience the magic of being able to open their resort room door all by themselves or never get to touch Mickey to Mickey to get into a park.

The biggest advantage of magic bands over phones is the fact that you can wear the magic bands in the pool...no need to leave your phone or keycard at your pool chair. And if 1 person wants to return to the room, they can get in just with the band.

Since there will be no more free magic bands in 2021 I am trying to figure out my strategy to keep free operable magic bands as long as possible. I have a few questions.

Is the weakening of the battery determined by usage or does it just attenuate over time? I have three more resort stays booked for 2020 so I will get three more magic bands. Starting in 2021 could I just use one of them until it dies and then move onto the next, or will they all probably die around the same time?

When a magic band dies, does it work fine right up until that point and then suddenly stop working, or does it get less and less dependable until it finally gives up the ghost for good?

Since we will no longer have magic bands shipped to us, how do we link the bands we already have to our plans?

Can you get a free magic band but use one from a previous trip instead? I'm planning on upgrading our July trip bands rather than taking the free ones, but I'll probably just get the free ones for our October and November visits. I'd like to save those free ones for future use. Can I use the ones I'm buying for our July trip in October and November but still get the free ones we're "entitled to" so we can use them later?
There are 2 different RFID technologies in the magic bands. The passive RFID, no batteries needed, is similar to the RFID in the cards and the bottom of the drink cups and will work as long as it is active in your MDE and Disney is still using the cards. The active RFID, requires batteries, is what makes your name show up at the end of small world and other effects like that. This battery will weaken over time and then just stop. When the battery dies this is the part that will no longer function.

I will miss the convenience of the MB. While, I could use my phone as a room key, my park ticket, pay for food, etc, I'm not a fan of the idea. The phone already is being used enough during the day, that I often have to recharge it now (with FPs or whatever it is replaced with, mobile ordering, checking wait times. etc), without all the additional uses. Without a MB, I assume you must have the app open and running your phone with bluetooth to get onride photos. Leaving that running only draws down the battery even faster.
I'm also concerned putting more on the app, given Disneys recurrent glitchy software updates.

Anyone have any idea when the ordered magic bands will begin shipping...my trip is starts 7/19. Cautiously excited.

Not to mention what I like about the MagicBands is that it just works, I don't have to pull up some app on my phone, after fishing it out of my pocket, worried that it's battery is running low, talk about slowing down scanning into the parks or FP+ if folks had to do that each time. Not everything needs to be changed and replaced, sometimes the current solution is better then any changes they can propose.
So agree, I don't want to be using my phone all the time on vacation. Plus, when you pick it up for one thing it's so easy to go down the rabbit hole of other things on it and end up ignoring family.

Magic bands are great for kids. Little kids love them and feel powerful and more "in charge" with the ability to open the room door at the touch of their wrists. Mine would run ahead and argue about whose turn it was to open the door. And they loved scanning their bands to get into the parks and FastPass lines. It made them feel grown up to have a little more personal agency over things.

Now that my kids are older they still love them and I love how useful they are. They can get into the room on their own without having to carry a card key (that they'd likely lose) and they can pay for food and other items without having to carry cash (that they'd likely lose). My daughter can carry a phone in her purse but my son doesn't carry a phone in the parks--he'd lose it.

I could get used to using my phone for everything if necessary but I'd prefer to keep it in my bag during vacation. Once I get it out, I'll quickly check my voicemails, then maybe my email, and the next thing you know I'm sitting out an attraction to catch up on work stuff. I know because this is what my husband does, haha. I don't want this to be me so my phone stays in the bag unless I need to mobile order or check a wait time or take a picture. I don't do the FastPass "refresh refresh refresh" strategy that a lot of people use to get more FastPasses because I don't want to walk around on my phone constantly.

I'm usually a person who enjoys change, and if magic bands go away I'll get used to it and look on the bright side, but I'll be sad to for little kids who never get to experience the magic of being able to open their resort room door all by themselves or never get to touch Mickey to Mickey to get into a park.
This. Last time we were at Disney, my kids were 2 and 4 and they loved opening the hotel room door and scanning their bands to get into the parks/fast pass lines (even though the 2 year old didn't really need to).

Anyone have any idea when the ordered magic bands will begin shipping...my trip is starts 7/19. Cautiously excited.
Our trip starts 7/25. We ordered the discounted patterned magic bands and got the ship notice today. Did you order the free ones or the discounted patterned ones? Pre-covid, they were shipping the ones you paid for asap while the free ones were shipping 2-3 weeks before arrival date.

There are 2 different RFID technologies in the magic bands. The passive RFID, no batteries needed, is similar to the RFID in the cards and the bottom of the drink cups and will work as long as it is active in your MDE and Disney is still using the cards. The active RFID, requires batteries, is what makes your name show up at the end of small world and other effects like that. This battery will weaken over time and then just stop. When the battery dies this is the part that will no longer function.
Really?! So basically for park entry, room entry, and FastPass the bands are good forever?

Not to mention that there are still plenty of people who don’t use a smartphone, or have an older model that perhaps no longer holds a charge for more than a few hours or won’t accept more modern apps...

Our trip starts 7/25. We ordered the discounted patterned magic bands and got the ship notice today. Did you order the free ones or the discounted patterned ones? Pre-covid, they were shipping the ones you paid for asap while the free ones were shipping 2-3 weeks before arrival date.
We ordered the free ones, Its says they are being processed, whatever that means.

I understand. If you read what I posted, I said that plain colored bands were still available as a complimentary ($0) option for that January stay.
Yes, I saw that as well and wondered about it. If I can get a new one free and feel assured it will work better than an old one, well yes, thank you... I will get a new one.
I wondered if the free status might change the closer we get to January tho.

I would expect they may try Near-Field Communication (NFC), as used for Apple/Google Pay. Apple watches, and other smart watches, also support NFC and could work much like a MB.

But neither QR nor NFC support the king of range a active RFID does. I think the range for NFC is 4 cm?
Whaaaaat?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that announcement that was quoted in a prior post doesn't say that they're retiring Magic Bands, it says they're retiring FREE Magic Bands. I assume they'll be quite happy to continue to sell them.

yes, they are still going to sell them.
For the moment and as far as we know, you can use you smart phone or a kttwc to open doors, admission, etc. however if you want ride experiences you need to purchase a MB or use one you have that still works.
Ride photos will work both ways. A MB will link it automagically. Otherwise you have to look for your photo and scan your kttwc at the end of the attraction.

MB’s have always only been a convenance, not a requirement. Now you just have to pay for it.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that announcement that was quoted in a prior post doesn't say that they're retiring Magic Bands, it says they're retiring FREE Magic Bands.
That's the way I understand it, too. Not getting rid of the bands, just charging for them in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter