Magic Mediterranean Cruise 10th September 2016 (Complete)

Wow, what a beautiful excursion! It really is so interesting reading your report since we were on the same cruise!
It really was, we were so close to cancelling it too just before we went because of the price.

I am enjoying your report for the same reason, it's bringing back many happy memories!

Monday 12th September (continued) - Sorrento

We boarded another high speed ferry for our next crossing which was taking us straight to Sorrento. This crossing was shorter and took about 20 minutes. I do remember if being of a free for all getting on. I think it was because a lot of people wanted to sit outside at the back where there were only a few seats, there were a lot of seats inside. When we arrived at the dock in Sorrento we boarded a coach for a short journey up the hill.

IMG_4211.jpg

Sorrento was our lunch stop as well and once we got out of the coach we were given just under 2 hours before we had to meet again. The drop off (and meeting) point was outside a shop where they made everything from wood as well as selling souvenirs (if I remember correctly), there were also restrooms. We were given a short talk on the history of the business and how the processes they used to make their products. It all looked very nice but was expensive!

We had a wander around, exploring the streets and trying to find something to eat. We didn't want anything that was going to take too long as we only had a short time there and we ended up getting some gelato and then popping into a patisserie for a cake.

IMG_4212.jpg IMG_4213.jpg IMG_4214.jpg IMG_4216.jpg IMG_4219.jpg
This was the view from the top of the hill of the road that takes you to the dock where we got off the ferry.

IMG_4220.jpg IMG_4221.jpg

Unfortunately, it rained for a bit and that, along with being time pressured, spoilt our time there a bit and we didn't enjoy Sorrento nearly as much as Capri.

I can't believe it. We were on the same cruise (first cruise of a B2B Med/Trans) and the same excursion. I even saw a picture of me in Sorrento standing like a goober at an intersection posing as a confused tourist...that would be me. What a hoot! The first three port stops on this cruise involved the longest excursions we have ever taken (8 DCL cruises so far). Can't wait to see where you go next. We did the Vatican and Coliseum trip in Rome and both Pisa and Florence.

I can't believe it. We were on the same cruise (first cruise of a B2B Med/Trans) and the same excursion. I even saw a picture of me in Sorrento standing like a goober at an intersection posing as a confused tourist...that would be me. What a hoot! The first three port stops on this cruise involved the longest excursions we have ever taken (8 DCL cruises so far). Can't wait to see where you go next. We did the Vatican and Coliseum trip in Rome and both Pisa and Florence.
Ha ha, what a coincidence! Did you enjoy the excursion? I know what you mean about the long excursions, we did different ones to you (as you will see when I finally get to the other days) but our Rome day was long too (as would our Villefranche been if we had got there!). The ports of a call were a reason to pick the cruise so even though it was very intensive, we are glad we did the trips.

I hope you come back to report on Rome and other ports! I've so enjoyed your TR so far
I will finish the report, sorry it's taking me so long, time has escaped me. I didn't actually realise it was so long since I last posted! I'm going to try and do some more this weekend.

Thanks for following along, it's nice to know you are enjoying it so far :goodvibes

Monday 12th September (continued) - Pompeii

So we boarded the coach that took us to the next and final stop of the excursion, Pompeii. The coach trip took around an hour (according to the time on my pictures!) and when we arrived our guide took us into Pompeii giving us the history as we went around.
IMG_4233.jpg IMG_4245.jpg IMG_4248.jpg IMG_4251.jpg IMG_4254.jpg IMG_4259.jpg IMG_4262.jpg IMG_4265.jpg IMG_4268.jpg IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4272.jpgIMG_4273.jpgIMG_4274.jpgIMG_4277.jpgIMG_4278.jpgIMG_4281.jpgIMG_4282.jpgIMG_4283.jpgIMG_4286.jpgIMG_4287.jpg

It was really interesting although we did feel like we were rushing through parts of it, I can remember stopping to take a picture and the group had moved on quite a bit! There is a "red light district" which is very popular and as the queue to see this part was so big we had to miss that too. Pompeii is definitely somewhere I would like to return to spend a little more time exploring, if they did a Capri and Pompeii tour (maybe they do, I can't remember!), that would be the one I would choose.

Before we left Pompeii we were given a voucher to get either a free gelato or water from the restaurant outside where the coach was picking us up. We then had the drive back to Naples and the Magic.

We arrived back at the ship at around 5.30 p.m. so we headed back to the room to get ready for dinner. When we got back in the room we found theseIMG_4763.jpg

On the previous day we had experienced a problem with the flush on our toilet (in that it didn't). We called and reported and they came it fixed it really quickly so it wasn't an issue, but they sent these as an apology. The most annoying part of the experience was the numerous messages that Guest Services left asking if everything was okay now. Despite me calling back and telling them and even going down to guest services and telling them, we must have had about five messages about it. The toilet did go wrong on one further occasion too but this was a much bigger problem that affected a lot of people. They rectified it for us very quickly, but one of the stateroom hosts was telling us that the toilet in another stateroom backed up and exploded into their room, poor people. We first became aware of it as we were walking back to the room on the aft staircase, as you reached deck 9 the smell was awful and it was quite bad on deck 8 as well. You could smell it on deck 7 too but it wasn't too bad. The crew were working really hard to get rid of it using air fresheners (which I thought made it worse) and fans and although it did ease (particularly on our deck) you could notice it right to the end of the cruise as you walked past decks 8 and 9.

Being on early seating we did have to get ready for dinner quickly. We had mentioned to our servers the night before our concerns about getting back in time and they were very relaxed about it. Giuseppe said to us as long as were back by 7 p.m. we could come to dinner. He also said not to worry about changing, but we really wanted to shower after being out in the heat for such a long time.

We got to dinner at just gone 6 p.m. so all was good. Tonight was Carioca's

IMG_4289.jpg IMG_4290.jpg

I quite enjoyed this, particularly as it was different to anything on the Fantasy. They offered to make us hats out of the napkins but we declined!

After dinner we had a quick visit to the Rainforest Room which was nice and quiet, before going to the Walt Disney Theatre to see the show, The Dream Goes On which we enjoyed. We then headed back to the room and ordered some Mickey bars which is becoming a bit of a tradition for us before going to see the adult show in Fathoms. The show was Hector is Magic at 1030 p.m. and room service said that the ice creams would be about 30 minutes, so we thought we had enough time. After about 40 minutes we called to find out where they were and they apologised and said they would be with us soon and in the end they turned up at about 10.20 p.m. By this time we didn't really fancy them and were feeling tired after a long day (just sitting around while we waited didn't help). In the end we ate the ice cream (wasn't going to waste them!) and skipped the show as we had another long day coming up.

Tuesday 13th September - Civitavecchia (for Rome)

We slept well after such a hectic day but still woke quite early in our next port Civitavecchia. The all ashore time was 7 am but our tour meeting time wasn't until 8.30 am so we weren't in such a rush this morning. Cabanas opened at 6.15 am so we headed up to there for breakfast sitting outside as normal
IMG_4291.jpg

Civitavecchia was not a scenic port, like most of them on this cruise they are industrial ports as opposed to those you find on the Caribbean itineraries which seem more for cruise lines. Still, it didn't bother us as we weren't spending any time there!

Picking a tour for Rome was tricky, so much choice and we wanted to see as much as possible. We didn't want to spend all day sitting on a coach though and after picking an expensive excursion for Naples we wanted to try and keep the cost down. We did also consider making our own way in to Rome (we are quite use to using public transport so that doesn't bother us) it was the thought of something going wrong with the train and us missing the ship! In the end we picked Highlights of Rome as this seemed to give us most of what we wanted.

We made our way down to Fathoms and were lead to the coach in the normal fashion, boarded the coach and met our guide and went for the 90 minute or so drive in to Rome. The coach did stop en-route at a service station for toilets etc.

The first stop was for the Colosseum and the coach parked just along the road
IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4314.jpg IMG_4322.jpg IMG_4327.jpg

Wow it was busy. We had over an hour here which wasn't long enough to go into the Colosseum but felt a bit too long otherwise. There were people everywhere trying to sell tours into the Colosseum (I think it was some type of queue jump with a private guide) but we just had a wander around the outside and then walked around the surrounding area to see more historical stuff! The guide had said that almost everything inside the Colosseum had been rebuilt, the original bits could all be seen from the outside. We're not really history people (which maybe is why we felt it was too long) but were still in awe of seeing something of such significance.

We re-boarded the coach and went for a short drive to our next stopping point which was near the Piazza del Popolo, the point for the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps (which in true tradition for us were under renovation!). We could still see the steps though but they were sealed off. We had a couple of hours here and I had used Google Maps before we had left to work out how doable it would be to do everything we wanted and it was possible, so we set off wandering.
IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4339.jpg IMG_4349.jpg

We saw everything we wanted to see and had a good wander round. We had lunch in McDonalds because we wanted something quick and cheap and headed back to the coach for the meeting time. Unfortunately we were late leaving as a couple were late (I think they got lost) but when they turned up we went for the short drive to the Vatican.

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_4355.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4
Tuesday 13th September - Rome (continued)

It was only a short drive to the Vatican City and we parked in an underground car park. Our tour guide lead us up to the Vatican and I think we were given a bit under an hour as we were running late. So we had an explore
IMG_4361.jpg IMG_4362.jpg IMG_4365.jpg IMG_4368.jpg IMG_4370.jpg IMG_4371.jpg IMG_4372.jpg IMG_4374.jpg IMG_4375.jpg IMG_4378.jpg
The guide said we wouldn't really have enough time to go in the Vatican or if we did that is all we would be able to do (I think some on our group did) so we just stayed outside had a gelato before we met the guide and headed back to the coach.

The traffic was quite heavy as we were leaving Rome but it didn't seem to take much longer than the outward trip. We had an extra stop at a service station though as the coach of another tour had broken down and we had to pick up some of the people to take them back to the ship.

All in all we enjoyed the tour and it delivered what we wanted it to, it's a fine line between having too much and too little time. What surprised me though is that I thought this would be a taster for Rome and we would want to go back but we don't. It was such a busy city, the crowds were unforgiving. Glad we went and saw what we did, but I can't see us going back.

Tuesday 13th September - Civitavecchia (continued)

We got back to the ship in time for dinner, I think we got down just after 6 p.m. again after having a quick shower.
IMG_4381.jpg IMG_4382.jpg

We had more treats in the room tonight, this time from the room service team!
IMG_4764.jpg

Dinner tonight was in Lumiere's and it was a Frozen menu

IMG_4380.jpg
For some reason I only took a picture of half of the menu, sorry!

They were showing Finding Dory in the theatre that night which we had seen on Sunday so we took the opportunity to go the Rainforest Room and then do the Frozen scavenger quiz that had been left in our room. We ordered the Mickey bars which turned up in good time before heading up to have a look at Freezing the Night Away on deck 9.
IMG_4386.jpg IMG_4384.jpg

Not really our thing but was worth a look. It was Majority Rules then Club Frozen in Fathoms, so we headed down there for a drink before heading to bed a little after Club Frozen started (the game was fun!).

Enjoying the trip report. You mention getting back in time for dinner a couple times. Did you have main dining? Did you miss any dinners due to the length of the excursions?

Enjoying the trip report. You mention getting back in time for dinner a couple times. Did you have main dining? Did you miss any dinners due to the length of the excursions?
Thanks!

Yes, we did have main dining and no we didn't miss any dinners (that was a concern of mine too). On our Naples and Rome days it was a bit of rush though to get ready, but that was more our choice to try and get there on time. We mentioned to our severs our concerns the nights before our long excursions and they said as long as we turned up by 7 p.m. it wouldn't be a problem, they were quite insistent that we turned up for dinner! We did have a table to ourselves so that made it easier, as we weren't worried about other people's service being disrupted either.

Wednesday 14th September - Livorno (Pisa)

Our excursion today wasn't meeting until 08.45 a.m. so we didn't have to get up quite as early. We were in Cabanas around 7.30 a.m. for breakfast with the scenic view of the port of Livorno!

IMG_4387.jpg

It was quite hard to pick an excursion for Livorno with both Pisa and Florence being big draws. One thing I've always wanted to do was climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa and there was only one excursion that offered this (Pisa - Climb the Tower). It was a shame not to go to Florence but we aren't really arty people and I thought it's always an excuse to back. Also, the Pisa and Florence excursions were (from memory) all day trips, which after the previous two days would have been exhausting. A half day trip was very welcome!

We met in Fathoms and were lead to the coach. The trip to Pisa was quite short 20-30 minutes, but anything would've seemed short after Rome! When we arrived in Pisa, the coach parked and we boarded a road train that took us into Pisa itself.

IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4392.jpg IMG_4398.jpg IMG_4419.jpg

We had a tour around Pisa and was surprised at how small it is, there is a small tourist area around the tower. There were a couple of other buildings (sorry to be vague but I was very focussed on the tower!) and after about an hour it was our time to climb!

IMG_4422.jpg IMG_4425.jpg

The climb up wasn't too bad and the views were good. There's not a lot of room at the top and other than the bell, it is mainly the views over Pisa.

IMG_4426.jpg

The climb down was far easier!

IMG_4436.jpg IMG_4439.jpg

Wednesday 14th September (continued)

IMG_4439.jpg IMG_4441.jpg IMG_4442.jpg

Once in the tower we were left on our own and were given a time to meet back at the square to get the road train back to the coach. We were a bit early so grabbed a gelato and had a look around.

IMG_4443.jpg

The journey back was swift as well and I took some pictures of the Magic in port. It was hard to get good pictures with the bright light.

IMG_4451.jpg IMG_4453.jpg

We had a nice afternoon. Lunch at Cabanas, some sunbathing and time in the adult pool and spa, Rainforest Room, Cove Cafe and I tried bingo for the first time! It was good to relax and chill after some heavy touring. It was soon time to get ready for dinner, it was Animator's Palate tonight with the animation show which was good and a nice twist on the Fantasy version.

IMG_4456.jpg IMG_4457.jpg

It was Tangled tonight in the Walt Disney Theatre which was excellent. It was also the Snuggly Duckling Takeover in O'Gills which was great theming.

IMG_4459.jpg IMG_4461.jpg

There was a game called Thugo (a twist on bingo) which we won as well as some other Tangled themed entertainment. We tried one of the themed drinks, but that wasn't so nice. All in all a great day.

Love your trip report.We also did tour to Capri,Sorrento and Pompeii.My husband loved Capri! We also did Pisa climbing the tower and enjoyed the views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter