Magic - Things I found out that I didn't read on this board!

ccruiser

Earning My Ears
Here are just some things I found that caught me off guard that I didn't read anywhere on here.

PICTURES:

When your in the terminal they have a character, but it changes, so you don't know who you are going to see.

On the semi-formal night is when you can get your picture taken with Mickey and Minnie together. I wish I would have know this, since we wore our best clothes for formal night. You can get pictures with Mickey and Minnie on formal night, they just aren't together.

Late Seating you have more opportunties to get pictures without so many lines. We had early seating and most of the pictures done with characters we had to miss because of timing. For example:
7:30pm - 8:00pm Early Seating can get to these, but they are
crowded, because you have all of early and
some late seating people too.

8:00pm - 8:20pm Once again you can get to this, but you have
Late Seating people, once again, here too
since they don't eat until 8:30pm

On the last night the times were:

6:00pm - 6:20pm and 8:00pm - 8:20pm
Early seating missed the first one, since dinner starts at 6:00pm, but late seating had the chance to catch both since they didn't eat until 8:30pm.

We were just rushing and waiting in alot of lines to get those pictures. They do have a autograph session that they do where they have 7 characters behind a table just signing, no pictures allowed. This was a GREAT opportunity to get those autographs and to do pictures later.

They don't take pictures when you get off in port. This surprized me as all our other cruises always did this. I guess with all those characters they have to stop somewhere. They are set up on Castaway cay to get an outside picture, but take it when you see it because they do not stay long.

On tropical night it more like Mexican night. The characters are all dressed up in Mexican attire, so the pictures with them look kind of silly with us in our tropical wear and them in their Mexican wear. They are the same night. Don't know why they call it tropical night, except they do have a tropical party on deck that night.

One the last day they run a special if you buy 5 8x10's anytime throughout the entire cruise you can get a portfolio free. So don't buy one before then.

And the last thing about pictures is that they are 6x8's, but it's no problem what so ever. I bought a album that holds 5x7's and more than one worker asked me if I realized that it only hold 5x7's, I did, but thought there was enough border to trim off. And I was right. I just finished cutting them down to fit in the album. They look great! You don't even lose 1/2 inch of picture. One lady was so upset that they print in 6x8's because she said that it's impossible to find a frame that size back home. Don't stressed, they can fit in 5x7 with no problem.

Onto other things:

HAIRDRYER: They get so hot that's it's hard to hold them. I did
bring my own, but forgot an extension cord, so mine
would no fit in any outlet due to the location of how
they place the outlets. I think they do this on
purpose so you don't use your own. So don't
forget an extension cord if you are planning on using
your own hairdryer.

BALCONY: Not all balconies have the see through plastic front.
We had a balcony, but ours was metal and you
couldn't see unless you were standing and the kids
were standing on a chair, which was pretty stressful.

KIDS: We were travelling with 4 kids. 1 is in a wheelchair, but
no problem at all. I really thought I wouldn't see our kids
for the entire cruise. That was the mistake I made. They
were with us all the time, except the times we MADE them
go into the club. Their ages are 9, 8 and 5. They really
didn't like going to the club and to this minute I don't know
why. I talked with alot of people who couldn't get their
kids out, so it is alot of fun, but just don't PLAN on them
being there.

Thanks!
Lots of good tips, even though we have cruised once before I forget alot:rolleyes:
One other thing I would suggest is not just a extension cord but also a power strip. That way you can plug in multible things. We had 2-way radios, camera power packs, hair dryers all needing to be plugged in at times.
Kim

Originally posted by ccruiser
On the semi-formal night is when you can get your picture taken with Mickey and Minnie together. I wish I would have know this, since we wore our best clothes for formal night. You can get pictures with Mickey and Minnie on formal night, they just aren't together.

Hmm, I wonder if this changes from cruise to cruise? On the 1/25/03 Eastern we had our picture taken with both Mickey and Minnie on formal night. Also different characters were out from about 5:30 p.m. or so to almost 10:00 p.m. in the atrium on our cruise. There was a board in the atrium listing who would be where when. We had early seating but didn't have any trouble getting pictures when we wanted to, although on formal and semi-formal night we were probably 10 minutes late to dinner. We found that we never had to wait more than about 5 minutes max for the characters. That was one of my favorite things!

Also I brought my own hair dryer and didn't have any trouble plugging it into the vanity area by the mirror and using it there. We never used our extension cord. Maybe this changes from cabin to cabin.

I also was surprised about my kids and the clubs. My dd4 loved it but not at night when they made them lie down, and my DS8 is a bit shy and only wanted to go during "free" time, and they were almost never in at the same time. When they were, DH and I were so surprised to find ourselves alone that we would just wander around with a dumb look on our faces wondering what to do. lol. A few times we actually tried an activity, but one of our kids, with their unerring radar, would page us just when we were settling in. It took us a day or two to adjust our expectations! :) After we realized this was going to be more like a WDW trip than like our last cruise (before kids) we had a great time.

BTW, what a good idea to post some things that you didn't expect even after reading the boards. Maybe it will save someone else from a surprise.

There was one thing I noticed on our last cruise, the prices of some things at Mickey's Mates on our last night aboard increased. I had been shopping there on our second day aboard when I saw my watch there for sale, of course I looked at their price. On our last night aboard I went back in with my DH and pointed out my watch to him, that's when I saw the $5.00 increase. I started looking at some other things and sure enough they had gone up in price too.

I also learned from that cruise to take along my own snacks. I purchased a can of cashews before entering the movies one night. I was charged over $6.00 for them and there was a 15% tip charge added to the cost. They weren't even Planters, some salty off brand.

Here are just some things I found that caught me off guard that I didn't read anywhere on here.On the semi-formal night is when you can get your picture taken with Mickey and Minnie together. I wish I would have know this, since we wore our best clothes for formal night. You can get pictures with Mickey and Minnie on formal night, they just aren't together.
They were together when we went in September . . .

Formal.jpg

Our 7year old didn't want to leave the clubs but the other 2 weren't as enthusiastic about them.

We took the 4 day cruise and I felt the same way about the pictures.....It seemed alot easier for the late seaters....

Thanks for posting what it was like on your cruise. It must vary cruise to cruise as to when Mickey and Minnie are together. Or, maybe they were later in the evening and we missed it. Good suggestion is to ask, especially if your formal clothes and different from your semi-formal clothes.

All of my hair dryers have that square pack that the plug is on, and that made it impossible to plug it into the outlet. But, this may vary from cabin to cabin in where the outlets are.

Another thing I noticed is that the character lines were alot shorter towards the end of the cruise. So if you can out the lines do get shorter.

My hairdryer also has the black box type plug and that's why we bring the extension cord....makes it easier to use...there is also an outlet behind the TV if you pull it all the way forward.

MJ

Hi ccruiser.

You can get pictures with Mickey and Minnie on formal night, they just aren't together.

Being divorced, THOSE are exactly the pictures I wanted - aka my reality!

HAIRDRYER: They get so hot that's it's hard to hold them.

I am thankful that I still have need of burning my hand in such a fashion!

We were just rushing and waiting in alot of lines to get those pictures.

We ignored those lines as they were way too long. Instead, my son and I took pictures of passengers who looked like the characters...

What a GREAT idea. To take pictures of those silly people waiting in those long lines for character pictures. Wish we could have made a game out of it too. I have to say if we take another Disney cruise it won't be so manitory to get those pictures, which will make it alot more relaxing.

Here are just some things I found that caught me off guard that I didn't read anywhere on here.

HAIRDRYER: They get so hot that's it's hard to hold them. I did
bring my own, but forgot an extension cord, so mine
would no fit in any outlet due to the location of how
they place the outlets. I think they do this on
purpose so you don't use your own. So don't
forget an extension cord if you are planning on using
your own hairdryer.

KIDS: We were travelling with 4 kids. 1 is in a wheelchair, but
no problem at all

I plugged my hairdryer in at the large mirror in the room, not the baths. This worked just fine without an extension cord. Of course I did have to unplug all the rechargers for everything else.

Did you take the Eastern? What did you do in the ports that was wheelchair friendly?

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter