Magical Express for one party (while the other drives).

tlmadden73

DIS Veteran
I have a trip planned here on Nov. 10 and we are going with my parents.

I am managing everyone in the trip (as my parents aren't really technically savvy and probably won't be going again). For convenience, both reservations (All Star Movies) were made by me and under my MDE.
They have separate tickets (purchased through UT) and linked to their names in my MDE account. My family also has a room-only reservation with tickets in the system.

We live in different states. My family will be driving from NC and my parents are now considering flying from WI.

Is Magical Express available to them if we don't have a Disney "package"?

What do we need to do to get them listed on the Magical Express list?

Do they need Magic Bands to board ME? At this point they were all coming to me out of convenience (before they have made the decision to fly). If so, can I change the address that just their bands are sent to? Or will I have enough time to mail them to them if they get sent to me?

From a timing perspective what is the usual time it takes from arrival time to time you are dropped off at the hotel?

For departing? How long before the flight time does ME leave the hotel usually?
That timing may determine what flight times they pick.

As long as they are on your resort reservation they can use DME, just call and give the CM the guest and flight information or use the link below. The magic bands will be sent to the lead on the reservation as will the DME information you can give them the MB when you all arrive. As for the DME voucher, when my sister joins us I just scan the DME reservation page and she uses that at DME check in but even without that the CM will be able to find your parents DME reservation.

Typical time from checking it at DME to resort is about 90 minutes, for the return DME will schedule a pickup about 3 hours prior to the flight time. You will receive the return voucher the day prior to departure - this departure time is firm on the way back to the airport.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/airport-transportation-reservation/

I am managing everyone in the trip (as my parents aren't really technically savvy and probably won't be going again). For convenience, both reservations (All Star Movies) were made by me and under my MDE.
They have separate tickets (purchased through UT) and linked to their names in my MDE account. My family also has a room-only reservation with tickets in the system.

We live in different states. My family will be driving from NC and my parents are now considering flying from WI.

Do they need Magic Bands to board ME? At this point they were all coming to me out of convenience (before they have made the decision to fly). If so, can I change the address that just their bands are sent to? Or will I have enough time to mail them to them if they get sent to me?

From a timing perspective what is the usual time it takes from arrival time to time you are dropped off at the hotel?

Yes, anyone who is listed on a WDW resort reservation is entitled to Magical Express bus service to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO). If they would like to use Magical Express, simply call WDW reservations and give them your parents' flight information to set up the service.

They do not need Magic Bands to board the bus. When you call to give WDW your parents flight info, ask them to send the DME info and tags to your parents' address.

I would estimate 2 hours from landing to resort. DME will pick them up to go back to the airport 3 hours prior to their flight home.

Yep. As long as you're listed on a Disney room, you can take DME.

Call and arrange it. Or use the link above.

Do they need Magic Bands to board ME?

Not at all. I've walked up to the kiosk having misplaced my band and not knowing where my letter was. Told them my name, showed an ID (just one ID per party), and we were good to go.

At least 3 hours for domestic flights.

Did you know there is a Transportation Board here in the 'DIS for these type of Questions? They answer DME questions all the time.

Yep. As long as you're listed on a Disney room, you can take DME.

Call and arrange it. Or use the link above.

Not at all. I've walked up to the kiosk having misplaced my band and not knowing where my letter was. Told them my name, showed an ID (just one ID per party), and we were good to go.

At least 3 hours for domestic flights.
wow. 3 hours? That will affect what time they want to depart. An 8:30 flight means they leave the hotel at 5:30? ugh
i guess I am used to smaller airports like Milwaukee and Raleigh. getting there an hour to 90 minutes early is more than enough time.

wow. 3 hours? That will affect what time they want to depart. An 8:30 flight means they leave the hotel at 5:30? ugh
i guess I am used to smaller airports like Milwaukee and Raleigh. getting there an hour to 90 minutes early is more than enough time.

Security at MCO can be a hot mess at times.

Security at MCO can be a hot mess at times.
Oh .. I can imagine at this huge airports. I have only flown THROUGH Atlanta and Chicago. I can't imagine getting on flights there and going through security.
My flights (via Southwest) to/from Milwaukee were a breeze. The security lines at RDU and MKE were "walk-ons" (to use a theme park term) -- so getting there early and we had a nice relaxing wait for like 45+ minutes before boarding.

It could be a shock to my parents, who have flown like once in their lives, to go through a major airport.

There is a chance that your MDE leaving WDW will make multiple stops before heading to the airport. If you get to the airport early, you have a chance to relax instead of being rushed trying to make your flight.

MDE may pickup people from several resorts, so you don't necessarily go directly from your resort. There is also transit time from Disney to the airport. Typically, 2 hrs is the recommended time to be at the airport to facilitate check-in as well as TSA. Wait times can vary wildly at some airports.

Their bus will not only stop at their hotel. Two Februarys ago we were the second stop of FIVE. The driver waited at last 10 minutes at each stop. Then drove as slowly as possible both on property and once on the highway. It was maddening. I was borderline getting antsy for my flight. I cannot imagine how the people who were already on the bus when I got on it were, since it's supposed to drop you off about 2 hours before your FLIGHT. And we were getting into risky territory with my flight, let alone when their flights were.

So first you have all the stops at the various resorts, then you get to the highway, then it's traffic, then it's getting ot the airport, getting off the bus, getting all bags off, then getting through security. I cannot right now remember when RAC opens, so if those times you gave are AM, it's likely that they won't be able to check bags in at the resort, and will need to check bags at the airport. THEN security. And the tram/monorail-like-thing. Then walking to their gates.

MCO is huge and a horrible mess security-wise, but it's not just MCO they schedule for.

I might personally snag a rental car from the Car Care Center for the day and just take them to the airport.

Just FYI - This past March, my DD flew in from OK where she attends college, hubby from who knows where as he is always traveling for business, and I flew in from Arkansas. We each were on ME to the resort at different times, I think my hubby even came in a day later. All of our names were on our reservation. I was the only one with a Magic Band. We had no problem taking ME to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter