Magicbands going away as a constant?

How old a magicband has anyone used successfuly? Is there any way to check one out at home to see if it is still working?
Typically about 2 years for the long range battery, so for things like on ride photos that don't have the option to scan. They will work forever for all main functions where you actually tap the band like scanning into the parks, room entry, photo pass, etc. There isn't really a way to test the long range at home.

Typically about 2 years for the long range battery, so for things like on ride photos that don't have the option to scan. They will work forever for all main functions where you actually tap the band like scanning into the parks, room entry, photo pass, etc. There isn't really a way to test the long range at home.

Thanks for the information. Ours will probably be at that two year point on our next visit.

After January 1, 2021, resort guests can choose to purchase MB's. Solid color MB's are $5. Special MB's are $10 and up. If you are doing a split stay at WDW Resorts, you will get options for each resort that is booked. MB's can be linked for each stay and reused. We still use MB's that are a few years old.

How old a magicband has anyone used successfuly? Is there any way to check one out at home to see if it is still working?
We used the MB1 when it was nearly 4 years old. Still worked. MB2's were already a couple years old at the time. You can always take an old one to try, but I would suggest taking along a current one, just in case.

We used the MB1 when it was nearly 4 years old. Still worked. MB2's were already a couple years old at the time. You can always take an old one to try, but I would suggest taking along a current one, just in case.

It's not really a question of "taking along" a current MB.
The poster does not have a current MB.
It's a question of whether a new MB should be purchased.
(And, a new MB can be purchased while a guest is inside any theme park as well as at resorts, etc.)
If (IF) the poster does not intend needing new on-ride photos/films (guests wearing masks) on the very few attractions that require a MB with a good battery (what is it, like 3 or 4 rides, total?) there is no need to buy a new MB. (Most of the WDW attractions that currently have on-ride photos do not require a MB with a working battery to access the photo.)
The oldest MB a guest might have from a prior visit will still work for all of the other important MB functions at WDW.

Last edited:
It's not really a question of "taking along" a current MB.
The poster does not have a current MB.
It's a question of whether a new MB should be purchased.
(And, a new MB can be purchased while a guest is inside any theme park as well as at resorts, etc.)
If (IF) the poster does not intend needing new on-ride photos/films (guests wearing masks) on the very few attractions that require a MB with a good battery (what is it, like 3 or 4 rides, total?) there is no need to buy a new MB. (Most of the WDW attractions that currently have on-ride photos do not require a MB with a working battery to access the photo.)
The oldest MB a guest might have from a prior visit will still work for all of the other important MB functions at WDW.

Shoot, I still have a KTTW card that still works (from before MB's were a thing). The short range transponders don't fail as long as they are not broken (bent or destroyed beyond the antennae's ability to respond) and the code is valid and linked to your account. Short range transponders like the ones in the MB's are non-powered (or rather they are powered by the transmitter) and are similar in nature to PIV cards or smart cards.

The long range ones which are used for ride experiences are a different matter. However I am honestly not even sure what rides still use those. It seems like most of those features were disabled due to guests being panicked about their privacy.

After January 1, 2021, resort guests can choose to purchase MB's. Solid color MB's are $5. Special MB's are $10 and up. If you are doing a split stay at WDW Resorts, you will get options for each resort that is booked. MB's can be linked for each stay and reused. We still use MB's that are a few years old.
I’m assuming that All of the the Features of the MB will now be able to be used via the MDE app and possibly starting in 2021 they will be releasing a MDE app for the Apple Watch? One of the reasons I got the Apple Watch with cellular is so I can leave my wallet and phone back at the room and roam the parks with nothing to carry.
82705065-1F1C-4D92-8F46-BD36F02C2393.jpeg

We gathered up old Magic Bands from our friends and family and hand carried them in two large baggies to WDW last December for recycling. (The recycling of MBs was suggested to us by a cast member at the Grand Floridian Villas. We thought this was a great idea.) We still think recycling was a great idea BUT we are so GLAD we all saved back one band! I personally am thrilled they are not doing away with them altogether. MBs are sooooo handy! Looking forward to our three trips in 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter