Major Disney refurb and construction completion dates worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
PI Closed on September 30, 2008. This September it will have been 8 years. It's a huge part of the reason modern Disney World gets a bad rap for indecisiveness and construction times. If it pushes into 2017 it'll be larger than the time gap between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

I'll go you one better...

Between 89-97...the same gap...

They built the west side, blizzard beach, the first 2 vacation clubs, 8 rack rate standalone hotels, major refurbs or additions to both magic kingdom and studios, and 75% of what opened as animal kingdom...

Different era/needs? Absolutely...

But to build that much when they controlled even more of the market without a legitimate competitor...as compared to the last 15 years when a deep Pocket near equal competitor showed up and went from no threat to a legitimate one in 5 years is hard to
Justify now.
They got fat and happy...complacent...and they're backpedaling now...

After a 4 year hiatus (paying college tuition for two) we are planning our next DW vacation this November/December. This has a been a great thread while planning. Thank you!

7. Rivers of light- set to open spring 2016 (rumored to be April)

11. Pandora the world of Avatar opening in 2017

Isn't #7 a subset of #11? Sort of like The 7 Dwarves Mine Train being a subset of New Fantasyland? If so, wouldn't it have to be the case that "the world of Avatar" (or some portion of it beyond just one attraction) has to open at the same time as the Rivers of Light? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of one insular Avatar ride opening up long before Avatarland opens up. I could see the reverse, as was done with NFL. In other words, most of NFL opened, and then a straggler ride opened later. But it would be odd to do this in reverse. Or am I messing this all up? Thanks.

Isn't #7 a subset of #11? Sort of like The 7 Dwarves Mine Train being a subset of New Fantasyland? If so, wouldn't it have to be the case that "the world of Avatar" (or some portion of it beyond just one attraction) has to open at the same time as the Rivers of Light? Or am I messing this all up? Thanks.

No...the avatar project was its own entity that only really affected the move of the lion king theater.

The rivers show is part of package of upgrades across the rest of the park that's been going on. Their approach to animal Kingdom has been impressive of late.

Isn't #7 a subset of #11? Sort of like The 7 Dwarves Mine Train being a subset of New Fantasyland? If so, wouldn't it have to be the case that "the world of Avatar" (or some portion of it beyond just one attraction) has to open at the same time as the Rivers of Light? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of one insular Avatar ride opening up long before Avatarland opens up. I could see the reverse, as was done with NFL. In other words, most of NFL opened, and then a straggler ride opened later. But it would be odd to do this in reverse. Or am I messing this all up? Thanks.
Rivers of light has nothing to do with avatar.

Avatar has always been set for 2017.

Rivers of lights isn't even in the area of avatar. Rivers of light is by Everest.

Rivers of light has nothing to do with avatar.

Avatar has always been set for 2017.

Rivers of lights isn't even in the area of avatar. Rivers of light is by Everest.
Got it. I thought it was the boat ride attraction associated with Avatar. It's a river. And it's got lights. :faint:

3176452_orig.jpg

This is a fantastic sticky. Thank you.

1. Toy Story Land- set to start construction in Early 2016 (rumored for late 2017, early 2018 completion)

2. Star Wars land- set to start construction in early 2016 (rumored for 2019 completion)

Well, we are in early 2016, does anyone know if construction on the DHS lands has started?

Well, we are in early 2016, does anyone know if construction on the DHS lands has started?
Actual construction hasn't started yet but permits have been filed for construction and buildings have been cleared out backstage. It should be very soon that we start seeing some actual construction.

It would be in the beginning stages of "Site Prep"; marking out utilities, SWPPP & QAPP implementations, building clean out/demo, item removal, barricades, etc basically all boring/ very little visual changes. I think for the next year or so, any construction (based on the permit layouts), it would be limited to ground work and utility installation and then finishing the ground (or base) portion of the addition.

We're planning a mid Nov 2017 trip. What are the chances TS land will be open? Don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!