Makeup and hair tips for theme parking?

JennyMP03

DIS Veteran
I've seen a few of these threads over the years, but I'd like to see what products and tips you all have these days.

I need some basic skin coverage and have very sparse eyebrows. So, as of now, my theme park makeup kit consists of eyebrow pencil, BB cream and/or compact foundation (haven't decided which one will work best, but both have at least 30 SPF), lip gloss, and waterproof mascara.

I have naturally wavy/curly hair, but it turns into frizzy poof with too much activity. I'm going to bring volumizing gel and leave in conditioner to give the waves a try, but I may have to straighten it despite the humidity just to make it manageable. I'd like to wear it in a high donut bun some days, but then I worry it'll become a bird's nest in the back if I press my head against the back of a ride seat.

When are you planning to visit? Depending on the time of year, your options could vary.

I wear a full face - foundation, blush, highlight, bronzer, concealer, brow pencil, mascara, eyeliner (pencil & liquid), 1-4 shades of eyeshadow, lipstick, balm and powder and have no issues! The trick is Urban Decay All-Nighter setting spray. After a water ride you'll look like a hot mess for maybe 5 minutes before it dries and then you'll look fine again, I just carry concealer and powder for touch-ups. Setting spray isn't great for your skin though so make sure you don't use it every day.

Alterna and matrix have no blow dry creams for wavy/curly hair that are awesome.

Thanks! I'm always trying new curly hair products so I'll have to check these out.

I wear a full face - foundation, blush, highlight, bronzer, concealer, brow pencil, mascara, eyeliner (pencil & liquid), 1-4 shades of eyeshadow, lipstick, balm and powder and have no issues! The trick is Urban Decay All-Nighter setting spray. After a water ride you'll look like a hot mess for maybe 5 minutes before it dries and then you'll look fine again, I just carry concealer and powder for touch-ups. Setting spray isn't great for your skin though so make sure you don't use it every day.

I tried some setting spray recently and it just didn't seem to do anything. It was Ulta's brand, so maybe it's just cheap and ineffective. I actually returned it a few days ago. I've heard many people swear by Urban Decay.

I've seen a few of these threads over the years, but I'd like to see what products and tips you all have these days.

I need some basic skin coverage and have very sparse eyebrows. So, as of now, my theme park makeup kit consists of eyebrow pencil, BB cream and/or compact foundation (haven't decided which one will work best, but both have at least 30 SPF), lip gloss, and waterproof mascara.

I have naturally wavy/curly hair, but it turns into frizzy poof with too much activity. I'm going to bring volumizing gel and leave in conditioner to give the waves a try, but I may have to straighten it despite the humidity just to make it manageable. I'd like to wear it in a high donut bun some days, but then I worry it'll become a bird's nest in the back if I press my head against the back of a ride seat.

So happy I stumbled upon your post. Not often that I get to dive into beauty topics while perusing the boards, so I'm happy to see this post! So I'm not sure why you are concerned with "beauty" in the parks, I know for me I care about beauty because of all the photo opportunities, but I know some women just don't care. If your concern is with looking semi-put together in photos, I'm right there with you. I think Water proof mascara, a very light coverage/bb cream (something with SPF in it) would do the trick for your skin, but what makes me feel the prettiest is lashes. You could use waterproof mascara, as mentioned before, but I myself have been getting lash extensions on and off over the past year, and I love them. I intend on keeping these on until my trip to Disney is over, so that why I can just get up in the mornings and feel put together without putting in too much time and effort. If you have sparse brows, bring an eye brow pencil with you to help you fill out the shape a little more. As for frizzy hair, hello, thats me too. The second I step out into humidity, my hair curls up. My plan is to french braid my hair during the day and wear my mickey ears on top, or throw on a baseball cap to keep out the sun.

Make sure you use a primer underneath your foundation and set it with a powder, that will help with longevity. I have used both ABH's brow pomade and NYX's brow pencil in Florida and neither have run, I always set it with some brow gel too for safe measures. Liquid lipsticks are probably going to be the best for longevity. Also set your face, I agree with @OldSchoolReasons, Urban Decays setting spray is bomb! Bring some blotting paper, that'll help soak up any sweat and oil.

So happy I stumbled upon your post. Not often that I get to dive into beauty topics while perusing the boards, so I'm happy to see this post! So I'm not sure why you are concerned with "beauty" in the parks, I know for me I care about beauty because of all the photo opportunities, but I know some women just don't care. If your concern is with looking semi-put together in photos, I'm right there with you. I think Water proof mascara, a very light coverage/bb cream (something with SPF in it) would do the trick for your skin, but what makes me feel the prettiest is lashes. You could use waterproof mascara, as mentioned before, but I myself have been getting lash extensions on and off over the past year, and I love them. I intend on keeping these on until my trip to Disney is over, so that why I can just get up in the mornings and feel put together without putting in too much time and effort. If you have sparse brows, bring an eye brow pencil with you to help you fill out the shape a little more. As for frizzy hair, hello, thats me too. The second I step out into humidity, my hair curls up. My plan is to french braid my hair during the day and wear my mickey ears on top, or throw on a baseball cap to keep out the sun.

Hey, I apppreciate you typing this all up for me! Pictures are part of my motivation, but some of it is just a confidence thing. If I feel frumpy, I'll be self-conscious throughout the day and enjoy myself to a lesser extent because of it. I am most envious of women who don't care what anyone else thinks, but alas, I am not one of them. My BB cream is SPF 30, so I definitely am with you there and my brow pencil won't leave my side!

I have never considered lash extensions and might look into it now. I'd love to do a french braid or cap but don't feel like they flatter my face. Great ideas, though!

Make sure you use a primer underneath your foundation and set it with a powder, that will help with longevity. I have used both ABH's brow pomade and NYX's brow pencil in Florida and neither have run, I always set it with some brow gel too for safe measures. Liquid lipsticks are probably going to be the best for longevity. Also set your face, I agree with @OldSchoolReasons, Urban Decays setting spray is bomb! Bring some blotting paper, that'll help soak up any sweat and oil.

I tried a setting spray that you use after foundation but didn't like it, so maybe your idea of a primer would work better. I always have to use lotion under my foundation, though. Would they kind of offset each other? I guess I need to look into the Urban Decay spray since it seems to be the fave.

The post title made my head hurt.

Admittedly, not my best work. I may or may not have been drinking.

I wear BB cream primer, Yves Laurent SPF foundation, generic blush, a light purple eyeshadow that matches my green eyes, waterproof black mascara. That's it. I try to go as light and natural for the parks. I might put on some red lipstick if we are going anywhere nice or plan on taking pictures. For my hair, I brush it and put it in a ponytail or leave it down (depending on how long or short it is at the time of trip). Sometimes my sister will help me put it in a "princess bun" and add one of those little tiaras on top.

What do you do about needing to re-apply sunscreen during the day? My face burns badly, and I usually need more sunscreen every couple of hours on my face.

I also have curly/wavy hair (not immediately apparent in my avatar because I was recovering from literally the worst haircut disaster ever :sad:), but I SWEAR by SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. It's often in the "ethnic haircare" section, but can be found at Target and most pharmacies, and it's great. I just wash and condition as usual, towel dry, and the run a little bit through my hair (a little goes a long way with this) and I'm frizz-free for the rest of the day. I live in Maryland so we have our fair share of humid days during the summer, and this stuff is up to the challenge! My hair is quite long right now (reach about halfway down my back when dry and curly), and that's the only product I plan on bringing on our upcoming trip.

I also have curly/wavy hair (not immediately apparent in my avatar because I was recovering from literally the worst haircut disaster ever :sad:), but I SWEAR by SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. It's often in the "ethnic haircare" section, but can be found at Target and most pharmacies, and it's great. I just wash and condition as usual, towel dry, and the run a little bit through my hair (a little goes a long way with this) and I'm frizz-free for the rest of the day. I live in Maryland so we have our fair share of humid days during the summer, and this stuff is up to the challenge! My hair is quite long right now (reach about halfway down my back when dry and curly), and that's the only product I plan on bringing on our upcoming trip.

Someone at Ulta recently recommended SheaMoisture when I asked about my hair issues, and I got the Jamaican Castor Oil mask. It's amazing as a deep-conditioning rinse! I've used it as a leave-in too, but it's a little heavy. I'm going to try the one you mentioned. Thanks!

I just bought Supergoop setting spray to use in the parks. It has SPF 50 so it claims to keep your makeup on and add protection. Hoping it does what it says! I’m not planning to wear makeup everyday but with so many pics and character meals I’d like to look nice in some and not like I’m going to the gym.

I discovered years ago that doing to much is just a waste of time. With four daughters I pack a JUMBO pack of hair rubber bands and hope for the best!!! My hair is wavy so I just pull it pack to control it.(My ponytail is pretty full) I second sunscreen and suggest minimal eye makeup. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!