Making History! A 2017 Westbound Panama Canal Trip Report **Complete**

We left Azure and headed up to deck 9 to refill our drink containers. As you can see, Quiet Cove wasn't remotely quiet, so we headed to my favorite place to read and relax - deck 4.

38.jpg

37.jpg

Before long, it was time for our second of three dance classes today. At 2:45p we returned to Azure to learn the Rumba with Willem and Natalia. This one we could handle! We both left injury free.

After class, we returned to deck 4 anxious to return to our books. Shortly before it was time to head off to our final dance class of the day, look who stopped by to check in with us. Jimmy had just come from Sports Deck Fun on deck 9. He was hot and sweaty and said the shade and breeze on deck 4 felt glorious. He could see why we liked it so much out there.

39.jpg

Having no interest in Homework Help which was taking place in the Edge, Jimmy accompanied us to dance class. He reminded me, however, that because he got his picture taken with the princesses this morning, he didn't have to dance. A woman of my word, I didn't make him. Though, I encouraged it, unsuccessfully. I don't see why not. Don't we look like were having fun?

40.jpg

When dinner time arrived, Jimmy went to get Emily from the Oceaneer Lab, while James and I squeezed in a couple more songs. Arriving to dinner late, as usual, Tiana's Place was already hopping with live music. The music was nice, but LOUD! It was very difficult to make dinner conversation. I felt like I was screaming at our tablemates.

42.jpg

Emily came to dinner as a butterfly.

41.jpg

Once again, I forgot to take a picture of the menu. It was the Prince and Princess menu. You can find it here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/prince-princess-dinner-menu/

Having worked up an appetite, I started with the Louisiana Hot Crab Dip. It was very good. It was the same crab dip that used to be served in Parrot Cay, except with croutons instead of tortilla chips.

43.jpg

Emily had asparagus spears.

44.jpg

James had the Smoked Salmon Timbale. Jimmy passed on an appetizer since he'd grabbed a couple slices of pizza before he'd come to meet us on deck 4.

45.jpg

For my salad, I had the coronation of mixed greens. I love the candied walnuts!

46.jpg

Jimmy had the lime-marinated jumbo shrimp.

47.jpg

Emily had the halibut.

48.jpg

I had the trio of veal. This was fabulous! The kids agreed. They kept begging for bites.

49.jpg

James had the New York Sirloin Steak.

50.jpg

Surprise, surprise. We had a visit from the owner herself. Tiana is one of Emily's favorite princesses.

51.jpg

Tiana left just as our desserts arrived. The kids both had sundaes.

52.jpg

53.jpg

I had both the flourless chocolate cake...

54.jpg

...and the Banoffee Cream Pie. Both were scrumptious!

56.jpg

James had the Louisiana Root Beer Crème and a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream. The root beer crème was interesting. It didn't take like root beer, but wasn't bad.

55.jpg

No question, this was one of my family's favorite menus.

Last edited:
We left Tiana's Place and returned to Azure where Hector was performing a family magic show. We all had a great time. Hector wasn't just an extraordinary magician, he was the master of shadow puppets.

58.jpg

57.jpg

We went straight from Azure to the Walt Disney Theater to watch The Golden Mickey's.

59.jpg

Jimmy and I passed the time by acting silly.

60.jpg

The Golden Mickey's had changed a bit since we'd seen it last. We liked the new additions. It was a fun show that we couldn't help but sing along to. Plus, Tarzan left quite an impression. Did that man have a single ounce of body fat?

After the performance, the kids ran off to their clubs, while James and I, once again, returned to Azure. (I think we spent more time in there throughout the cruise than we did our cabin.) We joined up with some of our new friends to play Majority Rules. This was a blast! At one point, Joh asked the question: If you could have any job with DCL, what would it be? For each question, my team gave one serious answer and one humorous one. For our humorous answer, I wrote Tarzan's oiler. That earned me a high five from Joh. Our team also won the game!

Next, was one of our favorite games - Match Your Mate. James and I mutually agree that we have no interested in ever being on stage for this game. It's too much fun to watch! As usual, it was hysterical.

61.jpg

After the game, James and I strolled up to deck 9 to refill our drinks. We then returned to our cabin to wait for the kids and get ready for bed. What an incredible day!

62.jpg

Up Next: Salsa, Singers, and Silliness, Oh My!

Thursday, April 27, Day at Sea

nav12.jpg

nav11.jpg

My family woke bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning, so we all headed to breakfast at Cabana's together.

My usual breakfast

1.jpg

Emily's plate

2.jpg

Jimmy's plate

3.jpg

James' couldn't wait for me to take a picture.

4.jpg

James and I ate quickly and rushed off to Palo where we were scheduled to meet at 9:30am for Art of the Theme Show Tour. We'd taken this tour prior to the refurb, but with all of the new changes, we were hoping to learn a bunch of new tidbits about the ship.

We ended up disappointed.

Very little of the information was new. Plus, it was glaringly apparent that our tour guide was new at this position because those of us on the tour were able to answer questions that she couldn't. I did learn one interesting factoid, though. It is DCL policy that, at all times, there be CMs of at least 50 different nationalities aboard the classic ships and 60 on the larger ships. This allows all guests, regardless of where in the world they originated from, to always have a CM that can communicate with them. What a great policy! I think it would be an incredible opportunity to work and learn in such a culturally diverse setting. If only I were twenty and carefree again...

5.jpg

After our tour, James and I gathered the kids. We headed to the Buena Vista Theater to watch Moana in 3D. James, Jimmy, and I enjoyed it. It was cute. Emily, however, LOVED it! She continued to remind us of how much she loved it throughout the remainder of the cruise and since we've been home. Needless to say, we now own it. In fact, we intend to have a movie night here at home to watch it and Lego Batman this very weekend. I can almost smell the popcorn now...

6.jpg

Time for lunch. We made our way to Triton's.

7.jpg

James started with the New England Clam Chowder.

8.jpg

Nothing on the menu appealed to Jimmy, so he ordered a couple of sundaes and intended to get pizza on deck 9.

9.jpg

I ordered the herb-roasted chicken salad. I assumed this would be a small, appetizer-sized salad. I was mistaken. It was huge, but delicious.

10.jpg

Jimmy was being silly with his whipped cream.

11.jpg

For their main course, both James and Emily had the steak frites.

12.jpg

I had the gnocchi. This was so good! I chided myself for eating so much of the salad.

13.jpg

For dessert, Emily had a sundae and a Mickey bar.

14.jpg

I had the pina colada bread pudding. Oh my goodness! This was fabulous!

15.jpg

James also had the sundae.

16.jpg

Today's lunch was fantastic. DCL was doing a great job with the new menus.

Love your trip report. So detailed. I wouldn't be able to remember who had and on what day

I'm sure she took very detailed notes!

It's funny. I'm actually a pretty dreadful note taker. I barely remember what I ate. I decipher who ate what by what each person likes and whose clothes are in the background before I crop the pictures. So, basically, I only know who ate what b/c I do everyone's laundry! LOL

Last edited:
From Triton's, all four of us went upstairs to D Lounge to play the Ultimate Quest. One representative from each team lined up to get our first clue. James was plenty bright today. You can't miss him in this picture!

17.jpg

The Ultimate Quest was a scavenger hunt that had the family running all over the ship. We were supposed to communicate using cell phones or wave phones. We used our wave phones and experienced major technical difficulties. Needless to say, we didn't even come close to winning this game. We did get some exercise, though, and had a lot of fun playing. We all agreed we'd be willing to give this game another chance on future cruises.

Dance class began immediately after the game. Jimmy ran off, while Emily opted to accompany us. Today we learned to salsa. This was the hardest dance we'd learned so far. At least, it was for us. Let's just say, the end result involved plenty of sore toes. We kept trying though and had a good time doing it.

We stopped back by our cabin after class where we ran into Nan, our room hostess. She was super excited about our upcoming Panama Canal crossing. She said that the crew would be having a huge party that was to last the entire day in honor of the Wonder being the first passenger ship to pass through the new locks. It was great to see that the CMs were as excited as we were.

We had a little time before the Gold & Platinum Castaway Club Party. James opted to stay in the cabin to empty our camera, while Emily gathered up some of her new Fish Extender toys and joined me on deck 4.

At 4:30pm, Emily and I made our way up to Deck 9 for the Gold & Platinum Castaway Club Party.

18.1.jpg

This was our first party since this was our first cruise as Gold Castaway Members. The Goofy Pool area was PACKED! There were 650 gold and platinum members on this cruise, and apparently most of them were there. All of the tables were occupied, but Emily and I claimed a couple of chairs and settled in off to the side. She enjoyed a mocktail (Sprite and Apple Juice), while I had a couple of Blinis. As I'm sure you've noticed by now, I'm not much of a drinker. I've never enjoyed the taste of alcohol. (Plus, I've never needed help letting loose or acting silly and bubbly. I was born that way!) But the Blinis were very good, very peachy. James found us just in time to grab a few Mickey Rice Krispy treats to enjoy both now and later.

18.jpg

19.jpg

After awhile, the tables began to clear out. Emily ran off to play while James and I visited with some of our new friends until it was time to gather the clan for dinner. I couldn't leave deck 9 without checking out today's ice cream options. It looks like blueberry and mango. What a great combination!

20.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight's dinner was in Triton's with the World of Flavour Menu.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Our table enjoyed the pretzel bread so much we ordered a whole basket of it.

23.jpg

I started with the empanada. It was very good.

24.jpg

James had the cheese soup.

25.jpg

Jimmy had the prime rib.

26.jpg

Emily tried the Pad Thai, but didn't care for it. So, she ordered prime rib.

27.jpg

James also had the prime rib. He ordered extra corn for Emily.

28.jpg

I had the pork tenderloin. It was very tender and juicy.

29.jpg

After nearly a week onboard, the kids were pooped! Too much fun and too many late nights made for exhausted kiddos. We all agreed to go to bed early tonight. I wonder how that turned out...

30.jpg

The kids woke up when Englebert came by with a game. The four little smarty-pants at our table came up with a couple of different viable solutions to the riddle before them. Throughout the cruise, these crafty kids proved difficult to stump.

31.jpg

Jimmy's victory pose

32.jpg

Dessert time!

33.jpg

I had both the Passion Fruit Crème Brulee and...

34.jpg

the New York Cheesecake. Both were delicious. Jimmy joined me in having the cheesecake.

35.jpg

Emily had a Mickey Bar, which as usual, she stripped naked.

36.jpg

I'm sure James had a bowl of ice cream, but I didn't take a picture.

After dinner, the kids and the adults parted ways. James and I returned to Azure for more ballroom dancing. Tonight, we finally mastered the hustle!

From Azure, we went to the Walt Disney Theater to watch Edge Effect perform their family show. As before, they were absolutely amazing!

37.jpg

The ship was really rocking tonight, so we carefully made our way back to our 2nd home on the ship (aka Azure) to watch Hector perform close-up magic.

38.jpg

Hector, too, lived up to his previous performances. Afterward, we were having so much fun we decided to stick around for Ice Breakers. Joh called four men onstage to say some tongue twisters. James was one of the men selected. He was hilariously terrible at it. Since he couldn't say his correctly, Joh made him stay onstage at the end and attempt to say all four of the tongue twisters. He was even worse that time! He was a good sport and the audience (me in particular) had a good laugh.

39.jpg

I love the look on his face!

40.jpg

41.1.jpg

41.jpg

Since we'd agreed that we'd turn in early tonight, we bid farewell to our new friends and headed up to deck 9 to refill our drink bottles before bed. Since we passed by, James couldn't help but stop by Pinocchio's Pizzeria for a couple of slices.

42.jpg

By the time we collected the children and got ready for bed it was 11:30pm. Yikes! While it was earlier than we'd retired so far while onboard, this wasn't what I'd meant when I said "early bedtime." Nothing I could do about now. We'd just have to take it easy tomorrow.

43.jpg

Up Next: Beating the heat!

Friday, April 28, Cartagena, Columbia

nav13.1.jpg

nav13.jpg

nav 13.2.jpg

James and I woke early and quietly slipped out of the cabin to let the kids sleep. We decided to have breakfast in Cabana's. We avoided sitting near any of the outside doors. The heat and humidity rolling inside was stifling. We both made our usual selections.

1.jpg

2.jpg

We took our time eating and returned to the cabin. The kids finally woke at 10:30am. They were disappointed that they'd slept through an opportunity to eat breakfast. That is, until...

3.jpg

I opened the refrigerator and pulled out a slice of flourless chocolate cake and chocolate Rice Krispy Treats. Now that's what they considered a proper breakfast.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Once the kids finished eating, Emily and James got ready to go swimming. Jimmy and I accompanied them up to deck 9. Jimmy opted to have something a little more substantial than half a Rice Krispy treat.

7.jpg

Emily immediately hopped in the pool. Can you spot her?

Jimmy and I stuck around long enough for him to eat and catch the tail end of Tangled. Then we opted to return to the glorious air conditioning.

8.jpg

We couldn't leave deck 9 without sampling today's ice cream selection. Jimmy had chocolate/vanilla swirl, while I had coconut/pineapple. My favorite!

9.jpg

Jimmy and I participated in Family Crafts in the Promenade Lounge. We made buttons. These were exactly what we'd been hoping for. You see, since we'd boarded the Wonder, every single CM (no kidding, every one) had initially referred to Jimmy as "she" or "Princess" because of his long hair. After the initial error, most apologized and Jimmy laughed it off. But a couple of them in the Edge were still doing it after a week, despite him being up there the majority of every day. It was beginning to bother him a bit. So, in good humor, we made him buttons to clarify his gender.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Jimmy and I met back up with James and Emily in the cabin. With everyone dressed, James and I asked the kids if they'd like to get off the ship for a little bit and wander around the port, see the animals on display. They immediately shot down the idea, and James and I didn't push the matter. Getting off the ship sounded good the night before when we were discussing it in our cool cabin. But it was miserably hot and sticky outside. Spending even a little time out there had lost its appeal.

Instead, we all went to Triton's for lunch. There, we ran into a couple of friends so we sat together and enjoyed a long, leisurely lunch.

13.jpg

I started with the shrimp wontons. I would order these again.

14.jpg

For my main course, I had the short ribs. These were tender and delicious.

15.jpg

James had the lamb. He really enjoyed this.

16.jpg

For dessert, I had the caramel pecan cheesecake, while James had a bowl of vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure why I didn't take any pictures of the children's meals.

17.jpg

Afterward, we made a pit stop at deck 9. The kids needed some pineapple/coconut ice cream.

18.jpg

Then we were off to the movies!

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

We watched Rogue One in 3D. It was okay, but not as good as I'd hoped it would be.

The movie ended just in time for James and I to make it to Ballroom Dancing. The kids ran off to play, while James and I went to Azure. As usual, we had a wonderful (if mildly painful) time.

James and I arrived late to dinner, as usual. Tonight we were in Animator's Palate with the Seasons menu.

22.jpg

23.jpg

I started with the chicken bastela. It was good.

24.jpg

Jimmy and Emily had the lobster ravioli.

25.jpg

James had the seafood sampler.

26.jpg

For their main course, James and Emily had the Osso Buco.

27.jpg

Jimmy had the garlic jumbo shrimp.

28.jpg

I had the sea bass. I love, love, LOVED this dish!

29.jpg

For dessert, I had the peanut butter pie. I wish I'd had room for a second one. This was so good!

30.jpg

The kids both had sundaes.

31.jpg

James had his usual.

32.jpg

With bellies full from another exceptional meal, we made our way to the Buena Vista Theater. We opted to skip tonight's stage show. James and I really enjoy John Charles, but knew we'd get to catch him at his adult show. Tonight looked like the only night we'd have available to watch Dr. Strange. We were so glad we saw the movie. It was excellent!

33.jpg

After the movie, the kids and adult sparted ways. James and I returned to Azure to play Snippets. Once again, Joh selected James to participate. James was on the Saved by the Bell Team. The object of the game was to guess 80's TV show theme songs. While James did great, his team lost. :(

34.jpg

35.jpg

However, since both teams played so gallantly, Joh gave all the participants a medal.

36.jpg

We stuck around to watch Charles Peachock juggle. While he had a bit of trouble early in his performance due to the low ceiling, he quickly adjusted and put on a great show. I looked forward to his main theater performance.

37.jpg

From Azure, James and I collected Emily and returned to our cabin to get ready for bed. Jimmy, however, had the Edge's Pajama Party tonight so he didn't return until 1am. As his mom, that meant that I didn't sleep until then either. We would likely pay for it in the morning as tomorrow was the big day - the Panama Canal!

38.jpg

Up Next: Making History!

Oh, I can't wait! The canal! Woohoo! Kinda poor planning on DCL's part on having The Edge's PJ party on the eve of the Canal Crossing... it's like.. the biggest and earliest day of the entire cruise. :: shrugs :: I can't wait to read about it. Locks are really neat and I can't wait to see if the photographers got any pictures of you from land. :)

Kinda poor planning on DCL's part on having The Edge's PJ party on the eve of the Canal Crossing... it's like.. the biggest and earliest day of the entire cruise. :: shrugs ::

I thought the same thing, but I didn't want him to miss out on the fun. He had a great time, so I guess it was worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter