Making Lemonade from Lemons.

So long for now Studios, but I'll be back.

DSC00083-X3.jpg

Sign of the times.

DSC00085-X3.jpg

Making my way to the buses.

DSC00087-X3.jpg

I never rode on the Skyliner - but Val, Alex and Toni did.

DSC00089-X3.jpg

Was there a Zombie apocalypse while I was snapping pics on Hollywood Boulevard?

DSC00090-X3.jpg

DSC00091-X3.jpg

I stood by myself for 20 minutes without seeing another single human being. It was quite freaky. At some point I realized the stupidity of standing alone with literally no one else in sight while wearing a mask.

Where did everyone go?

IMG_20200724_121723-X2.jpg

Did I tell you I also didn't see a single bus pull up?

30 minutes in I couldn't take it anymore. I called for an Uber. As I headed towards the pick-up area I finally saw others. After making sure they were not indeed zombies, I warned them of the lack of transportation but they continued on the their bus area.

Leaving DHS through an empty parking lot in an Uber.

DSC00092-X3.jpg

UP NEXT - Awesome pool time! / back at DHS / wonderful meal !

OK, so where did we leave off?

Oh yeah - I was now back at the Contemporary after a morning alone in DHS. The rest of my crew was at the pool enjoying the amazing weather and the refreshing (not warm) pool water. I raided the Covid relief/distress section of our room and made myself a stiff drink. Making my way to the poolside without any (major) incident I posed for a picture by Toni.

IMG_20200724_133007-X2.jpg

And returned the favor.

IMG_20200724_133035-X2.jpg

After rubbing in dubious amounts of sun tan lotion I sunned myself for about 3 1/2 minutes then decided to go in the water.

"You're ridiculous!" Val protested. "You just put suntan lotion on and now you're going in the pool?"

"Yep."
was the only response I could come up with. Simply, honest and yet a weak defense to Val's valid cross examination.

My port of entry into the swimming pool was via the tall twisty water slide. Just as with the slide at Beach/Yacht club, I found the seams in the chute to be very hard on my back.

I asked Toni to bring me my Pixel 2 as I decided to take advantage of it's waterproof capabilities.

MVIMG_20200724_135433-X2.jpg

Val was having a great time; enjoying all the family interaction. The pool CM was playing a Disney trivial game over her mic and I was chiming in getting most of the questions correct. At first the kids (and Val) thought it was embarrassing. But after a string of right answers the kids (NOT Val) started cheering me on.

IMG_20200724_150159-X2.jpg

Somewhere in the midst of all of this we got someone to take a family picture of us.

IMG_20200724_150213-X3.jpg

I then started doing selfies with Val and Toni.

IMG_20200724_150303-X2.jpg

MVIMG_20200724_150311-X2.jpg

Sterg, of course, couldn't be left out.

IMG_20200724_150312-X2.jpg

Before long it became an entire family thing.

IMG_20200724_150350-X2.jpg

We were genuinely having a great time just taking picture in the Contemporary pool!

IMG_20200724_150541-X2.jpg

IMG_20200724_150829~2-X2.jpg

We spent another few hours there, swimming, joking, taking pictures, playing Disney trivia - maybe had another drink or two. Terrific family time in the Disney bubble but not in a Disney Park. The fact that the entire pool section was "mask optional" made it even more enjoyable.

Contemporary was far from the best Disney pool we've been in (Beach Club) but on this day - it was the most fun we had in any Disney pool.

After pool time we all got ready and went our separate ways. The "girls" headed to Disney Springs for some shopping while the "boys" hopped on a bus to Hollywood Studios.

DSC00095-X3.jpg

Bathroom selfie with the only thing in focus is my watch. You can still make out my new Mickey shirt however!

DSC00096-X3.jpg

"DUDE - NICE SHIRT BUT WHERE ARE THE EARS? HA,HA,HA."

IMG_20200720_051739-X2.jpg

Trying to get on RotR. Were we going to be successful?
DSC00097-X3.jpg

DSC00099-X3.jpg

DSC00101-X3.jpg

We decided on another way to get our StarWars fix.

DSC00104-X3.jpg

DSC00107-X3.jpg

Shout out to Comedian/TSA droid.

DSC00111-X3.jpg

Like he's 10 years old again! But definitely not 14 years old again - that version of Sterg wanted nothing to do with photos.

DSC00112-X3.jpg

Accidentally saving the Galaxy with 3PO never seems to get old!

We then went for a walk around Studios. Not rushing to a next ride just taking it all in and enjoying the scenery and delicious weather.

DSC00113-X3.jpg

DSC00114-X3.jpg

The Brown Derby was our choice for dinner that evening and also the spot we were to rendezvous with the girls.

DSC00115-X3.jpg

My camera battery was getting low but I wasn't worried because I called Toni earlier and gave her VERY SPECIFIC instructions on where my charged camera batteries were in the room and she confirmed to me she had them as they left the hotel. Can you see where this is going?

DSC00116-X3.jpg

Definitely not 14!

DSC00118-X3.jpg

Val, Alex and Toni arrived just in time for our reservation. They came via the Skyliner and said it was "really cool".

This was our first time dining at The Hollywood Brown Derby despite hearing so many good things about it over the years. Good friends of ours loves it so much they eat there on every trip.

DSC00120-X3.jpg

Making our way to our table.

DSC00122-X3.jpg

DSC00123-X3.jpg

I've never been to the "real/original" Brown Derby but I was guessing this was a pretty close replica.

DSC00126-X3.jpg

Still smiling!

DSC00130-X3.jpg

IMG_20200724_175712-XL.jpg

The meal was excellent! Best of the trip and one of our best ever at WDW. My salmon was delicious and everyone else gave "Derby" a big thumbs up! And once again - with drinks and an extra person this meal cost less than our lunch at Be Our Guest. This was also Val and Toni's last night as they were heading back home early the next day. For me it was a special meal as we were all back together again having dinner in a Deluxe Restaurant in WDW.

Before leaving I asked Toni for my camera batteries - she handed me two AA batteries. Uh, this is going to be a problem. Apparently my directions were not specific enough or somebody didn't listen well enough. We argued briefly whether is was the former of the latter.

The girls went back to the Hotel as Val and Toni needed to pack and Alex needed to catch up on some rest. Once again Sterg and I were on our own in Hollywood Studios.

With my Sony camera dead, it was up to the Pixel 2 to carry us through the rest of the night.

IMG_20200724_191544~2-X2.jpg

We headed right to an Aerosmith Concert.

IMG_20200724_191746-X2.jpg

IMG_20200724_191802-X2.jpg

Chris, what a fabulous memory you have made with your family. I have so enjoyed seeing the photos and reading the commentary; thank you so much for sharing. I am glad that you all recovered from this virus that is keeping so many of us away from our happy places. Your photos are spectacular; you have a true gift.
Pat

We briskly walked up the ramp, into and through the studio, whizzed by the chainlink fence and climbed into a half-empty limo-coaster without stopping.

another fun trip with Steven Tyler and gang!

It was getting close to park closing so we wanted to soak in as much Galaxy's Edge as we could.

Luck and let's just say some "Disney magic" was on our side and we got to experience Rise of the Resistance again. It was another brisk walk without stopping right into the pre-show.

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back on another mission!

IMG_20200724_194815-X3.jpg

It was just Sterg and I. The second time through gave us the opportunity to find and appreciate details.

IMG_20200724_194843-X2.jpg

IMG_20200724_194951-X2.jpg

IMG_20200724_194955-X2.jpg

I put my phone away and just relaxed and enjoyed the rest of this great attraction.

Sterg and I slowly made our way out. Overall is was just an awesome day at WDW from the weather to the family interaction to the great meal and one more battle against Kylo Ren.

IMG_20200724_200916-X2.jpg

The party was still going back at the Contemporary. The "girls" were all packed and everyone was in a giddy mood. We all stayed up much later than we should have considered the next morning's 6am pickup for Val and Toni.

COMING UP - Sunrise over BAYLAKE/ Animal Kingdom with another new lens/ another Beautiful Day!

Your photos make me feel like I'm there. Thanks!

Thank you for following and commenting!

Funny I've always left my flip flops on the ground! I agree I definitely prefer that than if I had to put them in the basket!

Perfectly said ::yes::

Agree! That's why I was put off on our last trip (2017) being told I had to put them in the basket. It's the little things.
Again, amazing photos...so glad you and your family had a great time!

Thanks @DaisyNY 🙂
Chris, what a fabulous memory you have made with your family. I have so enjoyed seeing the photos and reading the commentary; thank you so much for sharing. I am glad that you all recovered from this virus that is keeping so many of us away from our happy places. Your photos are spectacular; you have a true gift.
Pat

Thank you Pat! We had a great time. Thanks for following and checking in!

You have a beautiful family. I'm enjoying living vicariously through your photos!

Thank you @ZellyB 😊

Thoroughly enjoying your TR. We were suppose to be in The World July 23 - Aug 3 but decided to pass due to 14 day quarantines both ways. You are making me regret our decision. Looks like a beautiful trip.

My phone's alarm was broken, or at least it seemed to be as it went off way too early for 5am. I had just fallen asleep after all. But correct it was and I rose out of bed to help Val and Toni get their luggage downstairs for the dreaded pickup.

Toni wasn't happy about leaving.

"Hi getting up at 5am at Disney."

"Hi we're the only ones awake."

IMG_20200725_051137-X2.jpg

and to add insult to injury, they didn't even get a Magical Express bus. As their luggage was loaded, they climbed into a large white Mears Van and then they were gone.

Getting back to the room, I made myself some coffee and then went outside onto the balcony overlooking BayLake.

The sun took its time showing up, but was spectacular when it did.

DSC00139-X3.jpg

And I (photographically) caught the first boat heading to Wilderness Lodge.

DSC00143-X3.jpg

It was promising to be another rare beautiful July day at WDW. Low to mid 80's, clear skies and low humidity.

Today's destination was Animal Kingdom and I was eager to get going. In addition to the 24mm lens I decided to bring "the beast". The beast is my new Sigma 105mm 1.4 lens and it is huge due to it being a telephoto lens with a very fast aperture (f/1.4). It's a special lens - great for portraits and other applications. It's also quite wide and heavy. Instead of my smaller shoulder bag I decided on that day to bring my camera backpack/sling bag to handle the extra load.

I was on track to hit AK at the open. Sterg and Alex decided they would join up later.

The palm trees were ready for the day.

DSC00144-X3.jpg

I used the time on the bus to swap out the 24mm lens for the 105mm.

With a backpack on my back, my camera and large lens in my one hand and a coffee in the other, it wasn't the most comfortable setup. I'm sure I also stood out quite a bit. One thing I noticed more this trip than any other was the lack of others with "real" cameras; either mirrorless or dslr's. Not too surprising I suppose as phone cameras have gotten so much better, and the vast majority of people are taking photos to document their trip vs. actually looking for photographic opportunities.

I was mildly scolded by a CM entering the park as I tried to sneak a sip of my coffee without coming to a complete standstill.

We'll 2020 certainly had it's share of "Black Swans" so I thought this was an appropriate first shot in AK with my new lens.

DSC00146-X3.jpg

Next stop - The Tree of Life.
DSC00151-X3.jpg

DSC00154-X3.jpg

DSC00155-X3.jpg

Africa was to be my first destination, as I was anxious to try this lens on the Safari.

DSC00158-X3.jpg

Still sinking...

DSC00160-X3.jpg

Getting closer.

DSC00163-X3.jpg

DSC00164-X3.jpg

Harambe was nearly desserted.

DSC00165-X3.jpg

DSC00166-X3.jpg

The queue line took longer than I thought as I finally saw other humans with the same desire to look at animals.

My truck arrives...

DSC00167-X3.jpg

The Okapi was out enjoying breakfast. In case you didn't know, the Okapi is a cousin to the giraffe.

DSC00169-X3.jpg

This guy was looking for breakfast.

DSC00178-X3.jpg

They looked at me as breakfast.

DSC00182-X3.jpg

Another Safari heading out.

DSC00188-X3.jpg

One of my favorite shots due to how the moss was catching the sunlight.

DSC00190-X3.jpg

Zebra and wildebeests at a breakfast buffet.

DSC00197-X3.jpg

The "bachelor" elephant; so lonely.

DSC00200-X3.jpg

I think this guy is technically a baboon?

DSC00203-X3.jpg

Everyone was out eating!

DSC00210-X3.jpg

So far I was happy with the result from my 105mm. It was handling better than I feared as the tripod collar gave me something secure to hold with my other hand. As we continued on I was crossing my fingers that the lions were out.

Would I see lions twice in one trip?

Once again, your pictures are amazing!

I traveled to Kenya last year for both a family wedding and a stay at a safari camp. The visit really made me appreciate how accurate Disney was in creating Harambe.

Your photos and reports are breathtaking!

It’s now my routine to sit and read this during breakfast each day before work (I’m a teacher and we are doing hybrid)... gives me the happy heart and smile to get through the day!

This trip report is so amazing! The photos, the way you write-fantastic! Also, I hope to have such a great relationship with my kids when they get older-I just love how much fun you all have together!

Flamingos up next!

DSC00211-X3.jpg

And how about some baby flamingos!

DSC00213-X3.jpg

DSC00216-X3.jpg

Looking back at the elephants and the "upside down" tree.

DSC00218-X3.jpg

I read or heard that Rhinos have very bad eyesight.

DSC00221-X3.jpg

Those do seem like pretty small eyes to me.

DSC00224-X3.jpg

This guy has great eyesight, but his eye were close. Maybe dreaming of zebra.

DSC00230-X3.jpg

I loved getting the male alone on his "pride rock".

DSC00234-X3.jpg

I wonder if I looked like a lamb chop to him?

DSC00235-X3.jpg

Hello ladies.

DSC00239-X3.jpg

I hit the jackpot this trip with Lion photos. I was smiling until...

I saw this guy. Man are warthogs ugly! Sorry Pumba.

DSC00240-X3.jpg

This is one of the smallest antelopes in the antelope family and if I remember correctly (about a 50/50 chance) it was almost extinct at one time.

DSC00242-X3.jpg

I hope you enjoyed your safari as that was the last photo I took from our excursion. It wasn't the last animal photo however as I was about to get close up with some big and hungry gorillas!

Before I move forward I need to take a step back; especially because of how I started this trip report.

Friday was our day at the pool and was a fun day for all of us, especially Val. She said it was probably the best day she had at WDW. Hanging out at the resort, spending time all together at the pool, going to Disney Springs and then dinner at the Brown Derby. She really had a good time. She even went so far as to say that she overall this trip was the most enjoyable Disney trip she's taken and happy she was part of it. She's in no hurry to come back mind you but the ending of this subplot was much better than the beginning.

Now on to the gorillas.

The men were out and they were hungry. Munching on all sorts of leaves.

DSC00247-X3.jpg

Looks healthy.

DSC00251-X3.jpg

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was stationed on the bridge with my camera and lens. I noticed they would come forward, grab something then scamper back.

This guy was the biggest.

DSC00258-X3.jpg

DSC00264-X3.jpg

DSC00261-X3.jpg

He grabbed onto a big 'ol leaf/branch...

DSC00266-X3.jpg

Then he spotted me. Turning his back he went back onto the rocks and I never saw his face again.

DSC00265-X3.jpg

"They seem pretty shy." I commented to the CM stationed there.

"Eye contact is a sign of aggression to them." She told me. "They don't like being stared at. That's why he's got his back turned. Believe me, they're not shy."

Yeah, pretty good idea not to look aggressive to an animal that could literally rip my arm off and beat me over the head with it.

"Oh ok." I replied. Soon after I said farewell to Kerchak and his mates and made my way back to Harambe.

DSC00267-X3.jpg

Asia was my next destination.

The "back side" of the Tree of Life.

DSC00268-X3.jpg

More folks showing up.

DSC00269-X3.jpg

I didn't think this was running but would find out later it was. Never saw the "UP" version and can still say that.

DSC00270-X3.jpg

I wonder how much this parking space cost?

DSC00272-X3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter