Making New Friends - One Coffee Crisp At A Time! EPIC trip May 2019 Update 2/24

Hi Fallon! I thought I had already posted here, but I guess not! I can't keep up with all the EPIC reports :rotfl:

I'm so glad you're here!

It was so nice to meet you and Luke! I brought your little bag of candy home to share with my kids and they loved it! Thanks again :-)

It was great to meet you too! And I'm glad the candy was enjoyed!

On my first "real" WDW trip in 006, we stayed at OKW so it will always have a special place in my heart. My son was just 4 years old at the time and he learned to swim underwater in that pool 🏊‍♂️

Aww! What a great memory to have!

Nice haul. I can't believe I've never thought to go there when my DH have been down there. He loves a bargain :rotfl:

Same! :rotfl:I love a deal!

Gee, 4pm and not a minute sooner :P

They were punctual hahaha.

The room looks great, nice and spacious ::yes::

I believe they are the biggest studio rooms on property!

I love that boat ride. We stayed at POFQ in April and took it and it's so nice and relaxing
:boat:

It's so nice! I'm a little sad we didn't have more time to take the boat a few more times!

Come on over!
The water's fine.

I'll be over to join in the fun this weekend!

I'm already failing :sad2: I guess working 6 days/week doesn't leave much free time...
I hear you. I've been working a little over 7 days/week. Makes it a bit busy.
He's actually on the Boards now too! @HeiChewChewChewsYou
Oh! Hi!
No apologies required! All I did was suggest the trip, Su-Lynn and Lesley took on all the planning for it and did all the actual work!
Still, you were the genesis. :)
No way! What building were you in?
Ok, now I REALLY have to get over to your report!
:laughing:
I swear, my 8 hour work day was actually 112.5 hours long :sad2:
I've had those days. Yesterday, actually.
Hmm... well, that was already a 16 hour double shift, but still... it felt a lot longer.
I haven't seen it, but I can imagine exactly how hilarious that scene would be :rotfl:
::yes::
I know! I just wish they would mail us our Magicbands! They have no problem mailing us our Magical Express tags :confused3
Oh! That's a darned good point!
And even better when it's at a fraction of the cost as the stuff in the park!
Yep! It ends up saving us so much money! I hate Florida water, so if we didn't buy water from Walmart I probably wouldn't drink any for the entire trip - which isn't good.
Dehydration in Florida is never a good thing.
Haha, because I buy a few too many snacks at Walmart so we need a larger vehicle to drive us back :rotfl2:
:laughing:
:scared1: That's disturbing! I don't mind these wall-mounted ones either!
It wasn't pleasant.

Remember when I said I was going to try and finish this trip report on a timely manner? Let’s all laugh at that together :rotfl2:. I’ve currently worked 21 of the last 24 days - including a current stretch of 12 straight - since returning from Florida. During that time, I’ve also been to the movies four times, went to see the Symphony Orchestra play the music of Harry Potter, been to the vet twice (my big dog has an infection in his paw, but he’s going to be fine) and made these coasters out of park maps I had grabbed while I was there (they still need a final coat of sealant, so they will look a bit different once they are 100% complete). So yeah, I’ve been busy. But I haven’t forgotten about you all! I will get caught up on everyone’s reports eventually! ❤

Remember when I said I was going to try and finish this trip report on a timely manner? Let’s all laugh at that together :rotfl2:.
:rolleyes1
I’ve currently worked 21 of the last 24 days - including a current stretch of 12 straight - since returning from Florida.
That's almost exactly what I did! I think I did 21 straight days (now on 3 days off. Phew!) with 24 shifts in there.
But I haven’t forgotten about you all! I will get caught up on everyone’s reports eventually! ❤
:hug: We'll be here!

made these coasters out of park maps I had grabbed while I was there (they still need a final coat of sealant, so they will look a bit different once they are 100% complete).
Very cool idea! I have nobody in my house who is crafty. But that's a great way to reuse the maps.

That's almost exactly what I did! I think I did 21 straight days (now on 3 days off. Phew!) with 24 shifts in there.

I feel your pain! I did a 21 day straight stretch in June, which sucked.

:hug: We'll be here!

That's great - because it's been months since I've been here! But, I'm back!

I've done that too and it was AMAZING!! I loved it so much!

It was great! I went with my neighbour, who also loves Harry Potter and it was such an amazing girl's night out!

Very cool idea! I have nobody in my house who is crafty. But that's a great way to reuse the maps.

I'm proud to say those coasters get daily use in our house, and they have held up really well! I grabbed way too many maps though haha - I probably have enough maps to make over one thousand coasters :rotfl2:

Excellent! Which movie did they feature? I saw our symphony play Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and I LOVED it!

The one we saw covered all of the movies!

Well, sorry guys! I once again have sucked at updating my trip report - please forgive me!

This summer has been busy - work has been pretty insane, there's been a lot of 10-12 hour days (I'm only supposed to work 8's), and a lot of weekends worked. I've also been motivated to declutter our house, and have almost completed turning our scary disaster of a spare bedroom into a library/craft room/home office. It was the room that's been the dumping ground for things since we bought our house over four years ago, so it took me a full weekend (and 3-4 bags of recycling and 2 bags of garbage) just to sort through it - but there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's going to be so nice once it's fully finished! We already bought a new desk and set it up in there, and Luke has been using it on days he works from home.

We still haven't booked our next Disney trip - after ten trips between April 2015 and May 2019 it's been tough to not have anything to plan, but we know we'll get back. We've actually started talking about dates for a future trip, and I think we're leaning towards October/November 2020...

And now back to the trip report!

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Our original plan for this day, our first park day of our trip, looked something like this:

• Original-Plan-1.jpg
    Original-Plan-2.jpg
A pretty standard Magic Kingdom day, with an evening at Disney Springs…

A few weeks before leaving for this trip however, one of the ladies from the Disboards who was a part of the Epic Girls Weekend messaged us all, asking who would be around on May 2nd and have a park hopper ticket. Another Disboarder, who has asked to remain anonymous, had decided to gift us with a VIP Tour that day! I couldn’t believe it, it was honestly one of those crazy bucket list items Luke and I had, but never believed we could make it happen due to the high cost associated with it. For those who aren’t aware of what this even is, you can read a bit more here on the Disney website. Basically, you hire a tour guide (or a plaid, named for their plaid vests that they wear) for a minimum of 7 hours. This allows up to ten guests – we actually had 19 of us on our tour which required two tour guides…

Anyways, once we found out what this amazing, kind-hearted benefactor had offered to us, Luke and I canceled our fastpasses and our breakfast reservation at 1900 Park Fare. I will make it there at some point, on some future trip! Strawberry soup for breakfast?! Count me in! We decided to hold on to our Homecomin’ reservation just in case we had time though – it’s our favourite so we figured we’d risk the chance of paying a no-show fee if we had to.

That morning, I was feeling a bit of jet-lag, especially with the red-eye flight the day before, so we decided to sleep a few extra minutes and just call a Lyft to take us to the park instead of using the Disney buses. This actually turned out to be well worth it, since the security lines on the bus side were insane that morning, but our Lyft dropped us off on the side where people parking their cars enter – so there was maybe one single person in line ahead of us at security.

Since we had cancelled our breakfast reservation, we just ate leftover Cheddar Drop Biscuits from Homecomin’ – a fantastic breakfast option if you ask me! I was so nervous though, I could only manage to eat about half of one – I had pitched an idea almost a year prior to a few girls on Facebook who I met through the Disboards about setting up a meet-up trip – and I was about to meet over a dozen of them today! We even had our own logo for the trip, designed by the wonderful Su-Queen <3

9947D33A-6F25-40B0-A2E2-65C45FB14F9D.jpeg

Once we were through security and found the correct line to scan into the park – it was an extra magic hours morning – we entered a mostly empty, slightly wet park:

16BDB0AF-7B05-4F05-9DEA-12EDDC5B2960.jpeg

We headed straight for Guest Services to the right of Spaceship Earth, afraid we were going to be late. We ended up being the third ones there – Karamie (@paradesintherain ) had also taken a Lyft over, and our incredible new anonymous friend had drove, so we had all entered from the much quieter side of security. We all introduced ourselves, and I handed out the first of my Canadian treat bags I had prepared

Eventually, the rest of our group made it through the crazy long security lines and joined us. Our two Plaids for the day arrived, introduced themselves and handed out rain ponchos to each of us just in case. I’ve always been too cheap to buy myself one of the Disney rain ponchos ($13USD for something I can get from the Dollarama for $3CAD? Pass.) – but they are actually well made and quite thick! I brought ours home with me to save for future trips.

At 8:37am, we approached our first ride of the day – Test Track. We entered through the Fastpass line with our VIP Guides – we felt pretty special all day!

C891C6A1-5E9C-47BB-8A54-7EEC2F717586.jpeg

Luke and I worked together to design our car – our goal is always ugly. We call this one “An Ode to Alberta” due to it’s sweet lift-kit. Behold its beauty:

B0D3CEF0-0AF3-4224-8F7D-24631864916A.jpeg

I also have this picture of someone else’s car – I think it’s Karamie’s?

E5FD73D0-5851-400B-B3DC-72EAEFC29F54.jpeg

Each car on Test Track only holds 6 people, but there were 19 of us so obviously we had to split up into smaller groups. We sat with Karamie, and her car kicked our car’s butt in the simulations haha. I also stole these next two pictures from Lesley (@Lesley Wake ), since they are hilarious:

6AE1CF60-033E-43CE-90FC-AF3584717128.jpeg

840FCD5D-588D-4F3C-A4E6-093BEB81E50A.jpeg

And of course, our on-ride photo:

21b62e57-f50a-4fbe-8b3e-7433b520e5de.jpg

It was Military Appreciation Month in the US, so the Blue Angels were doing a special fly-over of Spaceship Earth that morning. We went and found a spot to stand with a great view, and spent a few minutes chatting and getting to know each other.

FD18F83E-BCF8-4556-889E-F3D1AA9A7F63.jpeg

I had asked about a month prior to going if anyone wanted anything in particular from Canada, and Billie (@Elevationist ) had responded with Ryan Reynolds – so I presented her with her very own Ryan for the front of her scooter during this time haha. Someone had a bandaid in their bag, and used that to stick him on there…

0680F862-B5D6-49EB-8CEF-4D596C3D2723-e1566342673255-768x1024.jpeg

At 9:30am, the Blue Angels did their first flyover of Spaceship Earth:

An announcer came over the speakers in the park to let everyone know to stay put, as there would be a second flyover once they were back into position. We once again had our camera ready, and captured the second flyover:

This was so amazing to see – and I’m not even American. I’m so glad we took the time to see this!

Our VIP Guides, Jon and Amanda, gathered us together again and led us off to Norway. Our next ride was Frozen Ever After – which we once again entered through the Fastpass line. I love Frozen, and I love this ride – I never rode Maelstrom, so this is all I know for the Norway Pavilion. For this ride, we sat with Jackie (@missjackiemcg ), Caroline (@disneyAndi14 ) and Kelly (@buzzrelly ) – and the rest of our boat was filled with random strangers.

7DD982EF-21AF-4B76-A654-7B9E68533D77-e1566342698603-768x1024.jpeg

3bbd4d86-d28a-4df9-9f3a-3daee7cadca8.jpg

After Frozen, our VIP Tour Guides took us out a side door I had never noticed before that allowed us to skip the gift shop. We headed back to Future World for our final stop at Epcot – Soarin’. Again, we entered the Fastpass line – by 10:15am we had been through the fastpass line for all three tier one rides at Epcot! This VIP Tour was really spoiling me!

C19EDD0C-1F0F-40A5-8D8A-4A6B3FE3CF59.jpeg

Nice work pal!

914489C6-7924-457B-BD02-15DC1FE8A92A-e1566342718464-768x1024.jpeg

Again, another picture stolen from Lesley –

1AE004DA-7C9C-4EB4-9EE3-A5B6032A7815.jpeg

Our group took up almost two full rows, and the ride was as great as always!

E40C9E9F-7561-448F-B9F2-CEB1B770A24B-e1566343191446-768x1024.jpeg

Afterwards, we took our first official group photo before heading out a Cast Member’s Only door to our awaiting vans.

1BCE932B-0F60-48CA-8914-437EB4981DDD.jpeg

From left to right: Luke, Molly, me, Kara, Karamie, Steve, Ariana, Caroline, Billie, Kelly, Su-Queen, Liesa, Jackie, Su-Lynn, Lesley, Jenny and Joe

We split into two groups. I was in the van that Amanda drove, but she didn’t really say much as we drove through backstage areas to our next park. It was pretty cool to drive through the backstage of Epcot to see some of the Festival booths not currently in use, the construction on the Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster, etc. We were not allowed to take any photos while in the backstage areas, so nothing to share, sorry.

Last edited:
I was so nervous though, I could only manage to eat about half of one – I had pitched an idea almost a year prior to a few girls on Facebook who I met through the Disboards about setting up a meet-up trip – and I was about to meet over a dozen of them today!

I think we were all a little nervous! It turned out to be such an amazing trip though, so I'm happy you pitched the idea all those months ago!

I’ve always been too cheap to buy myself one of the Disney rain ponchos ($13USD for something I can get from the Dollarama for $3CAD? Pass.) – but they are actually well made and quite thick! I brought ours home with me to save for future trips.

They're totally worth the money, and if they rip just bring them into any store and they'll replace for free :thumbsup2

I had asked about a month prior to going if anyone wanted anything in particular from Canada, and Billie (@Elevationist ) had responded with Ryan Reynolds – so I presented her with her very own Ryan for the front of her scooter during this time haha. Someone had a bandaid in their bag, and used that to stick him on there…

0680F862-B5D6-49EB-8CEF-4D596C3D2723-e1566342673255-768x1024.jpeg

That was awesome! And great pic of Billie!

Welcome back! I'm great at taking long DIS breaks *cough*stillworkingon2015tripreport*cough* so I know that life can be busy!

Yay for another report of the fantastic VIP tour! It's been fun to hear everyone's takes on your great experience. Despite reading multiple reports at this point I never realized your Epcot rides were the three Tier 1 rides - that IS a great way to use the VIP tour!

Well, sorry guys! I once again have sucked at updating my trip report - please forgive me!
:hug: Nothing to forgive! Life... it happens.
This summer has been busy - work has been pretty insane, there's been a lot of 10-12 hour days (I'm only supposed to work 8's),
Whoa. Hope you're getting paid for all that!
Another Disboarder, who has asked to remain anonymous, had decided to gift us with a VIP Tour that day!
::yes:: Of course I've heard that already, but it's still so amazing!
Basically, you hire a tour guide (or a plaid, named for their plaid vests that they wear)
Ah! I'll have to keep an eye out for those.
Anyways, once we found out what this amazing, kind-hearted benefactor had offered to us, Luke and I canceled our fastpasses and our breakfast reservation at 1900 Park Fare.
No kidding! Buh-bye!
Strawberry soup for breakfast?! Count me in!
:laughing: I need to try this too, some day.
We decided to hold on to our Homecomin’ reservation
:(
I tried to get one for my September trip and there's no availability on the day I could go.
That morning, I was feeling a bit of jet-lag, especially with the red-eye flight the day before, so we decided to sleep a few extra minutes and just call a Lyft to take us to the park instead of using the Disney buses. This actually turned out to be well worth it, since the security lines on the bus side were insane that morning, but our Lyft dropped us off on the side where people parking their cars enter – so there was maybe one single person in line ahead of us at security.
Nice!
Saw that too... and it's very well done!
I handed out the first of my Canadian treat bags I had prepared
Nice of you. :)
We entered through the Fastpass line with our VIP Guides – we felt pretty special all day!
:goodvibes .
Luke and I worked together to design our car – our goal is always ugly. We call this one “An Ode to Alberta” due to it’s sweet lift-kit.
:rotfl:
It was Military Appreciation Month in the US, so the Blue Angels were doing a special fly-over of Spaceship Earth that morning.
Wasn't that great??
I had asked about a month prior to going if anyone wanted anything in particular from Canada, and Billie (@Elevationist ) had responded with Ryan Reynolds – so I presented her with her very own Ryan for the front of her scooter during this time haha.
:lmao:
An announcer came over the speakers in the park to let everyone know to stay put, as there would be a second flyover once they were back into position.
There was an announcement? We didn't hear anything!
This was so amazing to see – and I’m not even American.

I think we were all a little nervous! It turned out to be such an amazing trip though, so I'm happy you pitched the idea all those months ago!

They're totally worth the money, and if they rip just bring them into any store and they'll replace for free :thumbsup2

That was awesome! And great pic of Billie!

Meeting everyone felt like a first date! But everyone was so nice, I definitely wanted a second date haha.

Good to know about the ponchos!

Following! How awesome that someone gifted you the VIP tour guides, AMAZING! Also - for your trip next year, DEFINITELY go for the switch over Oct-Nov best of both worlds, Halloween and then Nov 1st Christmas everywhere. It was a dream come true!

Getting alll caught up around the Boards today on my day off! Lovely to re-live our amazing VIP Tour and yes, you are right. I"m glad I suggested we start in EPCOT so we could get to see the Blue Angels. Amazing!

Welcome back! I'm great at taking long DIS breaks *cough*stillworkingon2015tripreport*cough* so I know that life can be busy!

I've barely made any progress on my January 2018 trip, and haven't even started a report for my December 2018 trip... One day we'll be fully caught up!

Yay for another report of the fantastic VIP tour! It's been fun to hear everyone's takes on your great experience. Despite reading multiple reports at this point I never realized your Epcot rides were the three Tier 1 rides - that IS a great way to use the VIP tour!

The VIP Tour was such an amazing experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter