Making your own Droid Backpack. Anyone have dimensions?

I am also thinking about shopping around for a pet backpack before my trip in January. Or maybe even go the stadium approved clear bag route.

I’ve been wondering why there’s a chain. Thought it was for a wallet. Is it only for the BB units? I don’t see anywhere to attach it on my R2 unit. He does like to lean forward and its a bit annoying, especially considering the price of the backpack. It was partly a gift but still annoying.

Last edited:

I’ve been wondering why there’s a chain. Thought it was for a wallet. Is it only for the BB units? I don’t see anywhere to attach it on my R2 unit. He does like to lean forward and its a bit annoying, especially considering the price of the backpack. It was partly a gift but still annoying.
Only for BB. Their heads don't attach. R2 doesn't have anything that will fall off
If you have it inside the foam insert it shouldn't move. Mine doesn't. But you have to get it fully in the insert straight

Something else to note, the official bag includes a chain to hold the head on the BB units, since they don't fully attach. I think you can see it in the photo. But if you aren't going to have a flap to open like the official one it may not matter

Do you think the Droids would fit in a regular backpack? Like an Under Armour backpack my kids use for school? I do not want to purchase the backpack. TIA

It'll fit into standard size backpacks (probably not the smaller young kid sized ones) but you won't be able to watch it interact with the land, unless you stuff something in the bottom to raise the head above the top while you're in Black Spire Outpost.

Got some photos that hopefully will help. If you want anything else let me know
Thank you so much for these measurements!!! Any chance you could measure the dimensions of the peekaboo opening with the zipper open and the distance from the bottom of the bag to the opening and the depth of the foam insert at the bottom? I have all my fabric ready. :)

Thank you so much for these measurements!!! Any chance you could measure the dimensions of the peekaboo opening with the zipper open and the distance from the bottom of the bag to the opening and the depth of the foam insert at the bottom? I have all my fabric ready. :)
I can when I get home on Wednesday

I made a BB unit bag from the pattern available on ETSY. I am a decent seamstress but I don't make a lot of bags typically. It went pretty well. I will say it isn't a pattern for a beginner. You need to know how to sew going in.

I was hoping to use those string bags - like the ones you get at Build-a-Bear - maybe with a piece of foam to make it more comfortable to carry. Has anyone tried this?

I’d be very surprised if one was big enough
I measured the bags against the dimensions I found online for the droids... it seems like it would fit based on that but that is where my knowledge ends. And I am not skilled enough to sew my own...I can barely sew a button back on a shirt! 'd rather not spend another $80+ for two backpacks. :)

I measured the bags against the dimensions I found online for the droids... it seems like it would fit based on that but that is where my knowledge ends. And I am not skilled enough to sew my own...I can barely sew a button back on a shirt! 'd rather not spend another $80+ for two backpacks. :)
It’s not the height that matters
it will be the width/depth
those string bag have very little depth to them
the droids are really round, lol
but can’t hurt to try. they are small enough to make them easy to bring along to test one out

It’s not the height that matters
it will be the width/depth
those string bag have very little depth to them
the droids are really round, lol
but can’t hurt to try. they are small enough to make them easy to bring along to test one out
good point! Here's hoping!

Based on what i know about sewing, making a bag for the droid, having one of the backpacks they sell at home I think the drawstring bag will probably work for a BB unit, but not for the R units. Maybe someone on this thread who already has a droid can try one?
I can try when I’m home. I have both types of units

I hadn't really thought about this aspect, but I think the bag they sell at SWGE is ugly. And I'm getting a BB unit. So now I have options to have something I'll like better. Thank you everyone for posting on here! I think I might try to see if my Mickey backpack will hold it.
Anyone have any guesses about how much they weigh? They're bigger than I was anticipating so carrying it around doesn't seem like the best move without a bag.

Electronic Pattern is 5.00 on Etsy at AnachronismInAction. The bag won’t hold much more than the droid - but I prefer this. Great pattern from her. I’ll post pictures when I’ve finished.

I'm excited to see how your bag turns out! The pattern looks great, although I wasn't 100% confident in my bag sewing abilities, so I decided to make a paracord bag for mine instead, similar to this one by StarWaresWorkshop on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/733887904/custom-color-bb-series-droid-harness
Anyone have any guesses about how much they weigh? They're bigger than I was anticipating so carrying it around doesn't seem like the best move without a bag.

According to Smart Mouse Travel (link below), the BB unit is 3.5 pounds and the R unit is 3.2 pounds.

https://smartmousetravel.com/2019/08/11/galaxys-edge-droid-depot-custom-droid-building-experience/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!