Mama Melrose

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I am having zero luck booking Sci Fi or Prime Time, I booked Mama Melrose just to have something since we really don't care so much for any of the counter service locations there. How is it now? We have a 6:45p and will want to see the Star Wars fireworks, not sure if that is too late (end of August).

I would keep trying to book your first choices. Some reservations may become available closer to your trip. I wouldn’t recommend Mama Melrose to anyone.

Good luck.

Thanks, I am checking every day and have a reservation finder set up for it on TP. Hopefully something turns up.

Last edited:
We have enjoyed Sci Fi, Mama Melrose and Brown Derby. Not a bad choice in the group.

Mama Melrose is not a favorite, but we still enjoy it. We are not true fans of any of the Hollywood Studios restaurants, so we often leave the park for dinner. This year we are eating at Cape May Cafe.

MM has always gotten mixed reviews but we love it. We've never had a bad meal or service there, and have eaten there over 20 times. It is not a fancy Italian eatery by any means, I think maybe some people go in assuming it is. Their flatbreads are amazing if you want to eat lighter fare. Just my two cents.

My family ate at MM for the first time (in 8 or 9 trips!) this past May and we were like "why didn't we eat here sooner?" We had good service, a nice table location and good food. My DD and I shared a salad and a flatbread, both were really fresh and good. DH and DS ordered salads and full meals. There was yummy bread service too. We did not get dessert. We did have to wait about 10 min after we checked in but we used the time to go to the rest room. I have dined at Sci-Fi several times and enjoy it but this was a nice change.

As for timing you will want to stake out a spot about 30 min. prior to fireworks. Be advised if Movie Magic is playing that night BEFORE Star Wars Fireworks you should get there 30 min prior to that. On our night we had a 6:40 ADR at MM, after we had time to shop and browse as planned then were in place by 8:40 for 9:10 Movie Magic/9:30 Star Wars.

We enjoy MM-so if you don't get Prime Time or Sci-Fi, you'll have a good meal!

I see you have a reservation finder on UT. I've used the free one on Touring Plans and it's come through every time! You could put one there, too!

MM has always gotten mixed reviews but we love it. We've never had a bad meal or service there, and have eaten there over 20 times. It is not a fancy Italian eatery by any means, I think maybe some people go in assuming it is. Their flatbreads are amazing if you want to eat lighter fare. Just my two cents.
That’s been our experience the food has always been fine and no service problems at all.

We enjoy MM-so if you don't get Prime Time or Sci-Fi, you'll have a good meal!

I see you have a reservation finder on UT. I've used the free one on Touring Plans and it's come through every time! You could put one there, too!

Whoops, it is on Touring Plans, I will edit and correct that. o_O:D

I'll keep trying for Prime Time but if that doesn't work out will probably keep MM. I have to check the evening show timing also. I haven't heard of Movie Magic, what's that?

Thanks! :-)

Movie Magic is a projection show featuring beloved Disney movies of old and modern ones with music but no fireworks. It was so good. I enjoyed that as much as the Star Wars fireworks. People were really into Movie Magic. Projects on same buildings as Star Wars.

I love mama melrose! Nice vibe, great service anytime I've been there, and good options on the menu. Plus, last time we booked it, we booked it with the Fantasmic package :)

I am having zero luck booking Sci Fi or Prime Time, I booked Mama Melrose just to have something since we really don't care so much for any of the counter service locations there. How is it now? We have a 6:45p and will want to see the Star Wars fireworks, not sure if that is too late (end of August).
If you want an ADR, keep it for now and keep checking. I am not a fan of any of the table service restaurants at DHS other than scifi but it's all preference, I can eat MM but it's not anything special. Check the touring plans or mouse dining reservation finder. I've had good luck with mouse dining for more hard to get ADRs.

What do you want to eat?

Italian, Mama Melrose, American/Diner, 50's Prime-Time, Casual Bar/Lunch food, Sci-Fi. They are all pretty much on par as far as quality, it really comes down to what you want to eat with what's available at DHS.

At DHS, If I want chicken parmigiana, Mama Melrose has good food. If I want a Reuben, burger, fried pickles and onion rings (not the healthiest I know) then it's Sci-Fi for a really neat experience and good food. If I want fried chicken and pot roast then 50's Prime Time it is. None are 5 star but all do a pretty good job.

We had Mama Melrose in September for dinner and found it fine for us. I had the mushroom pizza and I really enjoyed it. My husband had the chicken parm and thought it was good just the portion was a bit off. We both had beers with our food and the bread service was nice. I'd go back and I'm a fan of QS personally but DHS doesn't really have all that good of options there.

We also ate at 50s Prime Time a different day for lunch and enjoyed that as well.

We ate at MM for the first time last year, I'm really glad we did. I wish we had eaten there years ago. I would rather eat at MM than Prime time to be honest. But if you can get Sci Fi, that would be my first choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter