Mandatory life boat drill

I found it interesting that the video clip posted has someone videotaping instead of trying to get where they need to go. In a real emergency, that is time lost. Be smart.when an emergency occurs, people panic because they don’t know what to do.

OP, in your second post you mentioned having been on several cruises. Was it not mandatory on those or were you asking specifically about Disney as you hadn’t sailed with them before?

I found it interesting that the video clip posted has someone videotaping instead of trying to get where they need to go. In a real emergency, that is time lost. Be smart.when an emergency occurs, people panic because they don’t know what to do

It is also very clear from this video (I remember when it was first posted on here) that she paid zero attention either to the tv announcement going when you enter your stateroom or at the muster drill as she clearly says “Interesting... I guess Class is over... I don’t know what’s going on...”

But even more disturbing is that she eventually passes several crew members and none of them direct her to go to her muster station - much less to stop filming while she is at it. I would expect them at least to have said something. (I am refraining from saying anything about the cruise staff guy leading the class as she left the room before he could have said anything and from the people leaving it seems he did remind them what to do as they seem to be moving with purpose towards staterooms or stations.)

Makes me wish they could figure out a way to make all the smart phones in the ship’s footprint broadcast the information during drill. Maybe then people would pay attention. Maybe.

(Also, regarding the OP and that question...unless they have not sailed since before the Concordia, they would have been required to attend drill on any ship. It has been international law since that (preventable) disaster.)

Last edited:

I found it interesting that the video clip posted has someone videotaping instead of trying to get where they need to go. In a real emergency, that is time lost. Be smart.when an emergency occurs, people panic because they don’t know what to do.

Years ago, someone posted on this board a message like, "Yay! On board, at muster drill!"

I replied that it would be a good idea to turn the phone off as requested and pay attention rather than post to a discussion board, and several people told me I was a wet blanket.

Broadcast on all the phones... that's a great idea. I bet it's possible, too, since they'd all be using the same wifi.

No, you can still get your provider's signal until the ship leaves the dock. At least in Port Canaveral and PortMiami. They'd need one of those signal jammers, but those are illegal.

I've been on 14 DCL cruises and every time, I get there on time and listen attentively to the instructions, even though I could probably recite them myself. Just remember that those around you who are not paying attention would likely be the ones that die in the event of a real emergency. Look at the children who's parents are chatting or messing with their phones. It's really sad. Safety is not a joke or a waste of time.

I've been on 14 DCL cruises and every time, I get there on time and listen attentively to the instructions, even though I could probably recite them myself. Just remember that those around you who are not paying attention would likely be the ones that die in the event of a real emergency. Look at the children who's parents are chatting or messing with their phones. It's really sad. Safety is not a joke or a waste of time.

Agreed... Though in reality, those not paying attention are more likely the ones who would panic and create an even more dangerous situation that could result in even more deaths.

The phone broadcast is a good idea, for those who have their phones with them and turned on at all times... but my family doesn't carry devices on vacation. We bring one phone for travel information and emergencies, and that goes in the stateroom safe when we get onboard.

The phone broadcast is a good idea, for those who have their phones with them and turned on at all times... but my family doesn't carry devices on vacation. We bring one phone for travel information and emergencies, and that goes in the stateroom safe when we get onboard.

I was by no means suggesting it be only on the phones and instead of. I was meaning in addition to with attendance still required. Just that it might actually force those who cannot imagine being parted from their phone for even the short time the drill is to pay attention so they know what to do if the alarm goes off (rather than if it does wandering around like an idiot saying “I don’t know what’s going on” and then posting it to show the world what an idiot you are).

I was by no means suggesting it be only on the phones and instead of. I was meaning in addition to with attendance still required. Just that it might actually force those who cannot imagine being parted from their phone for even the short time the drill is to pay attention so they know what to do if the alarm goes off (rather than if it does wandering around like an idiot saying “I don’t know what’s going on” and then posting it to show the world what an idiot you are).

OMG, no, I didn't think you meant that and I'm sorry if you thought I did. I wasn't being critical of you at all and I agree.

It is also very clear from this video (I remember when it was first posted on here) that she paid zero attention either to the tv announcement going when you enter your stateroom or at the muster drill as she clearly says “Interesting... I guess Class is over... I don’t know what’s going on...”

But even more disturbing is that she eventually passes several crew members and none of them direct her to go to her muster station - much less to stop filming while she is at it. I would expect them at least to have said something. (I am refraining from saying anything about the cruise staff guy leading the class as she left the room before he could have said anything and from the people leaving it seems he did remind them what to do as they seem to be moving with purpose towards staterooms or stations.)

Makes me wish they could figure out a way to make all the smart phones in the ship’s footprint broadcast the information during drill. Maybe then people would pay attention. Maybe.

(Also, regarding the OP and that question...unless they have not sailed since before the Concordia, they would have been required to attend drill on any ship. It has been international law since that (preventable) disaster.)
There is another video from this same event, she stays in the room another 10 seconds and the crew member leading the demo very clearly tells everyone to go to their stateroom to get their life jackets and report to their muster stations. We can’t hear it because she goes out to the hall too quick.
fast forward to 4:00

But you weren't willfully lounging elsewhere on the ship having decided to NOT go to muster and then deliberately not going to the replacement drill.

Some cruise lines WILL boot you off the ship for drill non-compliance. See https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4734
I think the issue with our particular cruise was that the ship was delayed by fog about 5 hours I believe. So, the normal flow of things was disrupted. I am sure there were a lot more people than usual at the makeup drill because of this. And maybe ships officers were more understanding of the situation if people missed the makeup than they would normally be.
But I read the article that you posted that was dated 2012 and it's really interesting for a couple of reasons. First, it says that:
But while the IMO states that musters are a must, enforcement may be another story. "The only enforceable piece is that the ship completes the passenger muster as required," said Lt. Cmdr. Dan Brehm of the U.S. Coast Guard's Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise. "What they do to the passengers who don't show up is a company policy at that point."

And

"Not all lines use an emergency system that relies upon an actual roll call; instead, they have crew search all areas of the ship," Lyons told the publication. "If nobody is found, then everyone must be in the muster stations. In that scenario, a roll call will not be taken. (In a real situation, however, it is likely their method of searching would also be supplemented by an actual roll call.) Some lines that take roll calls and identify those who skipped the drill will hold a special meeting or drill the next morning; other cruise lines simply ignore the fact that you didn't attend."

IMO, it's crazy that all cruise lines don't take a roll call during the drill because I would think that in real life, they would want to take a roll call. So, doing so during the drill ensures that people are there and allows the crew to practice. And I agree with whomever else said that the Captain can kick you off. IMO, he should be able to kick you off for any reason that is for the good order of the ship. But, honestly, if the cruise lines really felt that the drill was important, they shouldn't have the bars open beforehand and allow people to get completed hammered before attending. I have been at drills with a lot of hammered guests that are disruptive and not paying attention to a thing that is said.

No, you can still get your provider's signal until the ship leaves the dock. At least in Port Canaveral and PortMiami. They'd need one of those signal jammers, but those are illegal.

Add NY and New Orleans to this list, you get a signal after sail away at both of these ports for awhile. Its a shame that they probably cant easily do this because it is a very good idea and eliminates the distraction of people playing on phones if all they can do is view emergency procedures on their phones. Plus it helps those of us that are hearing impaired. :)

Years ago, someone posted on this board a message like, "Yay! On board, at muster drill!"

I replied that it would be a good idea to turn the phone off as requested and pay attention rather than post to a discussion board, and several people told me I was a wet blanket.

I've been on two muster drills and both consisted of waiting for about 45 minutes while people funnelled in and they called the stragglers before any actual instructions began. You're not missing anything if you're using your phone at that time.

I've been on two muster drills and both consisted of waiting for about 45 minutes while people funnelled in and they called the stragglers before any actual instructions began. You're not missing anything if you're using your phone at that time.
True. But the problem is many of the people will not turn them off during the drill. Just as on an airplane way too many people don't pay attention to the safety presentation.

Remember also that you must go to the muster station that is assigned to your room, so if you are booking rooms one way and then planning on moving people around (which is what we often do with Grandma and the kids), then you might be in different muster stations. We've been only a few rooms apart on the same hall, but one cabin ended up in the theater (nice!) and the other cabin ended up standing outside on a deck. Not a problem, just keep in mind that it is required that you go to the assigned muster station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter