Marathon Info Please

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right forum. If not, let me know.
DD has decided to run the Disney Marathon in the beginning of Jan. This will be her first marathon.
I would like to get some info from people who have gone to watch someone run the Marathon before.
Do I really need to buy the cheer packages for all three of us? Will I be sorry if I don't?
Will we be able to watch her run without going into the parks? What about the finish line?
Thanks in advance as this is all new to us.

UMTerp

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right forum. If not, let me know.
DD has decided to run the Disney Marathon in the beginning of Jan. This will be her first marathon.
I would like to get some info from people who have gone to watch someone run the Marathon before.
Do I really need to buy the cheer packages for all three of us? Will I be sorry if I don't?
Will we be able to watch her run without going into the parks? What about the finish line?

UMTerp
No need to buy the cheer package unless you want to.

You can watch her in the parks and finish line if you’d like. Main Street at MK is a good spot. Epcot and DHS are open when the race runs through them. You can see where you can watch from when the course map comes out.

Do you know where you will be staying (on or off site)? As rteetz mentioned, Main Street is a good spot, although a little busy. I have family see me at the TTC (about mile 4), then go grab a coffee at the Polynesian (short walk) and be able to see me again as I pass the front of the Poly (about mile 8). Two viewings for the price of one! You can see your runner out front of Animal Kingdom (about mile 13), although you may not make it here if you do a viewing at mile 8. There is transportation to Wide World of Sports, but it is a bit more complicated. I love having my family at Hollywood Studios (you can be inside or outside at the front gate) because that is about mile 23. They don't get to see me finish, but mile 23 is a great support point. When I hit mile 20, I start thinking "only a 5k until I see family". Once I see them, it is "only a 5k to the finish". I honestly think, from a runner's perspective, that the finish isn't as personal. You are segregated from the spectators by fences. I'd rather have family along the course than at the finish

No. Knowledge of the course map and how Disney transportation works will be all that you need! They'll post a spectator guide in the event program, so keep an eye out for that. Here is 2017's event guide so that you can get an idea (it's possible that the course will change a little bit, but not much - unfortunately they won't release this info until probably December), check page 33: http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar17#!/spectator-viewing

UMTerp
There are options with and without needing a ticket - the event guide above does a good job specifying when you will need a ticket. :)

Spectating can be tiring, but it's super fun!

Do you know where you will be staying (on or off site)? As rteetz mentioned, Main Street is a good spot, although a little busy. I have family see me at the TTC (about mile 4), then go grab a coffee at the Polynesian (short walk) and be able to see me again as I pass the front of the Poly (about mile 8). Two viewings for the price of one! You can see your runner out front of Animal Kingdom (about mile 13), although you may not make it here if you do a viewing at mile 8. There is transportation to Wide World of Sports, but it is a bit more complicated. I love having my family at Hollywood Studios (you can be inside or outside at the front gate) because that is about mile 23. They don't get to see me finish, but mile 23 is a great support point. When I hit mile 20, I start thinking "only a 5k until I see family". Once I see them, it is "only a 5k to the finish". I honestly think, from a runner's perspective, that the finish isn't as personal. You are segregated from the spectators by fences. I'd rather have family along the course than at the finish
We will be staying at Caribbean Beach Resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!