Marathon Weekend 2018

On the longer run days towards the end of marathon training: Is it okay to break up the runs into morning/afternoon parts? On 2 of my long run days (a 18 mi and a 16mi) There's a half marathon going on the same day. Would I get the same benefit to run that in the morning and goto the trail later on in the day and run the rest? Or if I didn't run the half run 9 in the morning and 9 in the afternoon?

On the longer run days towards the end of marathon training: Is it okay to break up the runs into morning/afternoon parts? On 2 of my long run days (a 18 mi and a 16mi) There's a half marathon going on the same day. Would I get the same benefit to run that in the morning and goto the trail later on in the day and run the rest? Or if I didn't run the half run 9 in the morning and 9 in the afternoon?

I would say that you wouldn't get the same workout by breaking the run up between morning and afternoon. You get a long recovery in the middle and the last 9 won't be quite as fatiguing.

I have actually had the same issue with races and scheduled training runs. I think I decided that a half marathon that was raced would be okay to replace the 16 mile training run without running the extra mileage. For another half marathon that I think was on an 18 mile training run and wasn't 'racing' but running with a friend, I ran two miles right before the race, and then finished up the extra three miles after the race. This all happened in my last training cycle. I just finished my marathon last weekend with a PR, so I would say that this worked for me.

I'd agree with @MissLiss279 that running a 9 in the morning and 9 in the evening won't be viewed the same way by your body as an 18 straight though. In addition, most recommendations I've seen on running doubles (two runs in the same day) seem to center around the premise that A) one of the runs has to be a pure recovery run and very slow respective to current fitness (like 120 sec slower than MP) and B) the recovery run needs to be limited to about 45-60 minutes max. The best bet, if you'd like to do an assisted training run, is to run some miles either right before or after the HM to tack on to the total distance. If you choose to race the HM as a replacement for the long run, just make sure to take into consideration extra recovery (race vs training) and that you won't reap the same benefits of the long run training run as a HM race performance.

I swear someone hates me right now. Among things that happened this week: my wireless headphones decided to suddenly stop working so I get to make a trip to the Apple Store, my Mom has started her BMT prep today and I'll admit that this whole thing terrifies me, and I missed getting a photo with one of my fav celebs.

And I know one of these is not on the same level as the others. But I still needed to get this off my chest.

Hi everyone! I stumbled across this great forum and had to join. I'm a huge Disney fan and "accidentally" signed up for the half shortly after my sister signed up for the full. (I have no idea how it happened...magic?) Anyway, I am running my first half in the fall (October) and excited to run at Disneyworld for the first time! I've really liked all the advice thus far.

Some coaches a lot smarter than I am have said that can be useful to your training, because you're running the second run of the day on glycogen depletion, which is a large part of what the long run is about. Whether you should do it twice, I'm not sure that's ideal, but better than missing entirely.

Hi everyone! I stumbled across this great forum and had to join. I'm a huge Disney fan and "accidentally" signed up for the half shortly after my sister signed up for the full. (I have no idea how it happened...magic?) Anyway, I am running my first half in the fall (October) and excited to run at Disneyworld for the first time! I've really liked all the advice thus far.

:welcome:

I know which restaurants I want to go to, but I've been staring at all the menus, already, for 2 months, and I still don't know what I want from there. You can keep the menu in my face until the server says "so what would you like this afternoon?" and I still won't know what I want. Eventually, I just recite words off the menu, and hope I didn't actually order the konbu jellyfish with natto sauce.
I think my words may have deceived me. I get it and I know ADRs are a huge part of the WDW vacation for a lot of people.
I applaud all of you who are able to make decisions and commitments so far in advance. For me though, I'd be lucky to decide and commit to one restaurant and time so far in advance. Food also just isn't that important or impactful to us so it's never made it on our list of priorities.

My airfare is booked now, too. Kind of good news/bad news. Bad news is that Southwest has no direct flights from here Wednesday morning! What's up with that?! So, due to my paranoia about flight delays making me miss Dopey bib pickup I have to head down on Tuesday.

The good news is I got a return flight for $69!! pixiedust:

I guess it's a pretty good day when your "bad" news is "I gotta spend an extra day at Disney!" :)

My airfare is booked now, too. Kind of good news/bad news. Bad news is that Southwest has no direct flights from here Wednesday morning! What's up with that?! So, due to my paranoia about flight delays making me miss Dopey bib pickup I have to head down on Tuesday.

The good news is I got a return flight for $69!! pixiedust:

I guess it's a pretty good day when your "bad" news is "I gotta spend an extra day at Disney!" :)
Wow, $69, that's nice! My paranoia is high too since it's winter flying so we come in on Thursday (for now anyway) and just doing the marathon. That extra day for you will be good to get settled in before starting Dopey for sure!

Booked my return flight as well. I had just slightly more rapid rewards miles than needed so I was able to use those! My mom got me a gift card for my birthday too, so I'll use that to book my flight down when I get home today since I don't have it at work with me. At the current price, I'll only end up spending about $20 out of pocket for my flights!

DH and I had a pretty big argument over the weekend about going, so I'm back to my original plan of going down by myself. While I was excited for him to come with (he is not a Disney person, although he always has a great time when he goes!), it'll certainly save me some money as I don't mind just staying at a value. Between the price I quoted out for the room, already having my AP, the $20ish on flights, and I probably won't do any TS meals, this might end up being my cheapest trip ever. :scratchin

Glad y'all got your flights! I was able to book a NS on Delta out of BOS in February for wicked cheap ($927 for all 5 of us) only minor issue is that they have clanged the flight times and we leave 3 hrs earlier. So much for getting a full day of school in for the girls.

I booked our first night's stay today. We had a comp room that we decided to used for that first night. I just booked BC because I know that I won't want to move resorts the next day and we have a Deluxe room pkg already.

:offtopic:I'm kinda bummed today and just need to get this off my chest. Not really running related but sort of is. I learned today that a medication that was a possibility for me to switch to for my RA wasn't approved by the FDA. This is a big deal because my current medication dose isn't really sustainable in that our (new) insurance company refuses to pay for the dose I need (our previous ins. co had no problem paying for it). Our insurance company was kind enough to tell us that we could pay the $4000 out of pocket every month for the dose they won't cover though :crazy2: I am currently getting it from the manufacturer but we were so close to the threshold of income for that gift that we truly didn't think it would happen. I had been wanting to find some part time employment when the kids went back to school in the fall but now it looks like that's not likely. I probably will have enough of my current medication to make it through to February 2018 but after that who knows. Switching is a difficult & long process and will impact my life significantly which includes running among other things.

Glad y'all got your flights! I was able to book a NS on Delta out of BOS in February for wicked cheap ($927 for all 5 of us) only minor issue is that they have clanged the flight times and we leave 3 hrs earlier. So much for getting a full day of school in for the girls.

I booked our first night's stay today. We had a comp room that we decided to used for that first night. I just booked BC because I know that I won't want to move resorts the next day and we have a Deluxe room pkg already.

:offtopic:I'm kinda bummed today and just need to get this off my chest. Not really running related but sort of is. I learned today that a medication that was a possibility for me to switch to for my RA wasn't approved by the FDA. This is a big deal because my current medication dose isn't really sustainable in that our (new) insurance company refuses to pay for the dose I need (our previous ins. co had no problem paying for it). Our insurance company was kind enough to tell us that we could pay the $4000 out of pocket every month for the dose they won't cover though :crazy2: I am currently getting it from the manufacturer but we were so close to the threshold of income for that gift that we truly didn't think it would happen. I had been wanting to find some part time employment when the kids went back to school in the fall but now it looks like that's not likely. I probably will have enough of my current medication to make it through to February 2018 but after that who knows. Switching is a difficult & long process and will impact my life significantly which includes running among other things.
Wow that sucks. I hope you can figure out something that works for you both in health and financially before February.

Have you considered a travel agent with group rates? They one I use has POFQ or Riverside for $187 a night. Don't know how that compares to what you got but if you want to know the agency I use just PM me. I've never stayed at POFQ either but I stayed at Riverside for the Dark Side weekend and really liked it. Thinking about switching to there for Wine & Dine.

Any chance you could PM me your TA info? I cannot figure out how to PM yet! :oops:

I haven't stayed at POFQ before, but I'm considering it for Marathon weekend and/or Princess Half weekend.

TIA!

I noticed that they took the flight I wanted away... Until Jan 7, I can book a flight from Orlando to Philly at like 9:45-10:00 at night. Now, the latest nonstop is at 3:45 PM... We wanted to either do Keys to the Kingdom or Drink Around the World that day after the marathon, and now it looks like we might not be able to.

Either I have to suck up a layover, or leave much earlier than I wanted...

Edit: no, Felis, the marathon is not in the summer...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter