Marathon Weekend 2018

FYI, @Dis5150 found on the runDisney website that the 5k is now listed with a start time of 5:30am (used to be 6am in 2017). In addition, the Kids Races are listed as 10:30am start time instead of 11:00am.

They sure did make that change sometime in the past week or so. I know I was doing some general planning a week or two ago, and it was still 6am at that point.

Whoa. I didn't sign up for any DL races, but I have a Southwest credit and thought about using it to do a race for Coast to Coast. Darn.

Another half marathon completed and I'm still battling leg cramps. They started when I ran my first marathon a couple of years ago, and I always get them the last couple miles of the race. I don't know if it's because I never run the race distance during my training, if it's hydration, or if it's something else. I always feel like I've trained properly, having never gotten leg cramps during my training runs. But as soon as I hit a distance during a race that is longer then my training runs, the cramps start coming on. They've always been in either my hamstrings or calves. Has anyone else dealt with this and have suggestions on what I could try? A friend of mine suggested rubbing magnesium oil into my legs. Has anyone tried this with any success?

Another half marathon completed and I'm still battling leg cramps. They started when I ran my first marathon a couple of years ago, and I always get them the last couple miles of the race. I don't know if it's because I never run the race distance during my training, if it's hydration, or if it's something else. I always feel like I've trained properly, having never gotten leg cramps during my training runs. But as soon as I hit a distance during a race that is longer then my training runs, the cramps start coming on. They've always been in either my hamstrings or calves. Has anyone else dealt with this and have suggestions on what I could try? A friend of mine suggested rubbing magnesium oil into my legs. Has anyone tried this with any success?

I used to get bad cramps in my calves after marathons and I always attributed it to dehydration. After a little research and talking with various folks, I think it was more a function of my training and the muscles not being strong enough. I'm not going to suggest to you what to do because I'm not qualified to do that but I think making changes in my training such as longer long runs and adding different types of runs such as tempos and intervals help strengthen my legs more. I haven't had significant issues with cramping since then but ymmv. Good luck with it because I'm not sure I've ever had worse pain than my legs locking up after a marathon.

I used to get bad cramps in my calves after marathons and I always attributed it to dehydration. After a little research and talking with various folks, I think it was more a function of my training and the muscles not being strong enough. I'm not going to suggest to you what to do because I'm not qualified to do that but I think making changes in my training such as longer long runs and adding different types of runs such as tempos and intervals help strengthen my legs more. I haven't had significant issues with cramping since then but ymmv. Good luck with it because I'm not sure I've ever had worse pain than my legs locking up after a marathon.

I agree with this. I used to always assume it was dehydration, but I really think now more often it is just muscle fatigue. I used to find I got them most frequently when I would do a long run that was the longest I'd done in a training cycle. I haven't been getting them as often this year as we are doing more miles in training, but when they have come, it still tends to happen on those really long runs or runs where I really push myself.

I have been very under-trained for marathons and still not had cramps after the race when I was younger. As an older runner, I won't run a race that long if I am under-trained, but I sometimes face cramps after very long training runs. I have tied my cramping issues to electrolytes, not hydration. But everyone is different. I hope you get this figured out.

For me anytime I get cramping or tight calves I think it's from just being tired &/or electrolytes. Today, I ran 16 & I was off from the get go, so I attribute that from being tired as I actually felt better in the end. Now during Darkside half my legs were cramping near the end & I think that was electrolytes (maybe even potassium low) & not drinking/fueling enough cause it was so humid (& I was trained well I think at least). I had terrible calf cramping what a month ago & thought it was fuel issues, but turns out I just really needed to massage my calves...which duh I really need to do that now & get better about massaging calves (& hammies & quads & shins too) on a regular basis as it seems to help me (I have an electric massager). So, not sure if any of that helps or not, but never done magnesium oil. I drink OJ every morning before running for potassium at least since that is supposed to help too (I don't eat bananas).

For my first three fulls which were all at Disney my quads would start cramping up right around mile 17 as you enter WWoS.I think definitely part of it has to do with muscle fatigue,for example my calves are like rock solid and as strong as they can get from weight training but I would ignore my quads as theyre not quite as strong.I don't think I would ever have issues with my calves but after getting the cramps in the same exact mile in the race it made me wonder and I asked on these boards years ago and someone mentioned strengthening those muscles.A couple of months before my fourth full I worked the quads and for the next four fulls only had one full (space coast) where cramping was an issue,maybe it has to do with having run that distance several times and the muscle can just handle it better now,don't know for sure maybe both have to do with it.As far as lack of electrolytes causing it,I have doubts as my first full I must have been taking a GU,a sport bean or a Chomp like every mile,once I did get the cramping I took some more of them and it helped the cramping go away,so it helps but I think a weaker muscle wasa more of a reason for the cramp itself than lack of electrolytes.In fact the last couple of years I've reduced the amount of Gu's and chomps I take,so less cramping while at the same time I'm taking fewer energy supplements during the races doesn't add up so I'm thinking a stronger muscle and having run the distance several times has to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter