Marathon Weekend 2020

what do you mean by cadence lock?

Cadence lock is when the HR monitor, typically a wrist-mounted one on a watch, locks onto cadence instead of HR and reports your cadence as your HR. You can generally tell because the HR trace will usually be significantly higher and smoother than normal. The FR 235 seems to be particularly susceptible to the phenomenon.

what do you mean by cadence lock?

@camaker's got it. This is a visual representation of it:

screen-shot-2017-10-12-at-4-12-06-pm-png.276636

This was an easy run. You can see my HR stays around 130-140 for the large majority. But for an "unexplained reason" my HR skyrockets at the end to above 170 (near my max). If pace were overlayed as well it would be clear that I did not increase pace.

screen-shot-2017-10-12-at-4-12-21-pm-png.276635

This is the same run with cadence data overlayed on top of the HR data. Now you can see that my cadence was 174 steps per min during the time period when my HR was stating a 174 beats per min. It's clear that my watch was picking up on my cadence and not actually my HR. Most of the time, but not all the time, it's associated with the looseness of the watch on the wrist. The optical HR monitor is capturing the bounce (or the gap between your wrist and sensor during each step) as the HR rather than the actual HR coming from the blood vessel.

This cadence lock can lead to erroneous personal evaluation of maxHR as well as screw up the data on Elevate (training load calculations).

Can someone remind me of the POT deadline? I looked on the website and didn’t find it, I promise I did look.

Can someone remind me of the POT deadline? I looked on the website and didn’t find it, I promise I did look.

From the Race Policies tab on RunDisney.com:

"If proof of time is not provided by the Proof of Time deadline (see Event Section Proof of Time Guidelines), or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. No corral changes will be made after such date."

From the Marathon tab under Events:
  • "Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2018 and October 8, 2019 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
and
  • If proof of time is not provided by October 8, 2019, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral"

Cadence lock is when the HR monitor, typically a wrist-mounted one on a watch, locks onto cadence instead of HR and reports your cadence as your HR. You can generally tell because the HR trace will usually be significantly higher and smoother than normal. The FR 235 seems to be particularly susceptible to the phenomenon.

Just curious if the chest strap HR monitors are as susceptible to this as the wrist mounted monitors?

Just curious if the chest strap HR monitors are as susceptible to this as the wrist mounted monitors?

Cadence lock seems to be an artifact limited to optical HR measurement, which is typically limited to wrist-based monitors. Chest straps measure through another mechanism. I'll take the convenience of an optical monitor with the risk of cadence lock over strapping a chest monitor on, but that's just me.

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

From the Race Policies tab on RunDisney.com:

"If proof of time is not provided by the Proof of Time deadline (see Event Section Proof of Time Guidelines), or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. No corral changes will be made after such date."

From the Marathon tab under Events:
  • "Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2018 and October 8, 2019 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
and
  • If proof of time is not provided by October 8, 2019, data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral"
Thank you!!

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

I had just run my first 10k (April, 2015) and half marathon (June, 2015) and signed up for the 2016 Marathon Weekend 10k and half marathon (May, 2015). At some point during the summer, I decided that the marathon would be a nice way to commemorate 3 years from starting my weight loss and potentially check off a bucket list item, so I added it to my Marathon Weekend plans. Or, put another way, the quote under my avatar isn't just a catchy phrase, it's my personality in a snapshot. As soon as I've done something and enjoyed it, I'm looking for a way to take it to the next level. It's not always pretty, but it hasn't killed me yet...

It was two things...I've run 15 half marathons now so the challenge isn't what it used to be for me. I'm still proud of every single one I've done but I've found myself not taking the training as seriously because I knew I could do it. Then with no more DL races happening, I figured if I was going to fly from CA to FL it was gonna have to be for the Full to make it worth it. Once I talked to DH about it and he was on board with me taking a solo trip, I knew it was time to tackle the full and check out WDW at the same time. It just seems like its time. And then I figured if I was flying out to FL and this was a one time thing, I should just go ahead and do Dopey while I'm there.

So to those who have run this thing before, how long does it take to get from the finish to your hotel via the bus? I'll be staying at CBR. At the DL races it was just a short walk back to my hotel. I know this is completely different though so just trying to get an idea of how much time to budget after the race.

I had just started running in January 2012, had finished a 15k in July and wondered what to do next, read an article about best first-time marathons, hadn't been to Disney in 10 years, it was the 20th anniversary with "super excitement" supposedly and a cool medal, plus there was a $25 discount code for some reason, and voila!

Here I am now - coming up on my fourth Marathon Weekend. And my fifth Disney trip in the past 7 years.

So to those who have run this thing before, how long does it take to get from the finish to your hotel via the bus? I'll be staying at CBR. At the DL races it was just a short walk back to my hotel. I know this is completely different though so just trying to get an idea of how much time to budget after the race.

Depends on the hotel. I've done POR, Pop, and AKL. After finishing the race, you have to get your medal, pick up your gear drop bag, walk to the buses, wait for a bus to come, wait for the bus to leave, take the ride, etc.

I'd give yourself 45 minutes to make it back to your hotel - longer on marathon day because of road closures still going on.

I did the half this year - I finished at 7:40 a.m. (yes, I'm looking back at the text notification). I was on a bus at 7:58 (because I texted my mom that I got on the bus). I want to say that I was back in my room around 8:20 because that lazy slug of a mother was still in bed, and we had a breakfast reservation at Boma at 9:30!

So about 40 minutes total - less if you don't have gear pickup.

I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

I'm an idiot. :crazy:

I started trying to lose weight in April 2012. In late June 2012, it became apparent I was going to need to exercise in addition to dietary changes. So I started running. Six weeks later in Mid-August, my wife's friend suggested doing a half marathon. I said, why not this "marathon" thing, it's only $10 more and twice the distance. Seems like a bargain. My wife's friend told me I couldn't do it. What she really meant was, "The marathon is in 8 weeks. You've only been running for 6 weeks and the most you've done so far is 3.5 miles. You haven't done any other race before. You shouldn't be attempting a marathon 8 weeks from now." So not so much you couldn't do it, but you shouldn't do it. But after the start of my weight loss journey, I told myself I wouldn't let other people set my limits. If someone said I couldn't, then I was going to do it. So I did. Signed up for it. Ran it. And was in immense pain afterwards, swearing never ever again... I've done twelve more marathons and five Dopeys since.

Thanks to you and @DopeyBadger for explaining. I guess if there is one advantage to the chest strap, this is it. I know Mr PADC never liked the chest strap because it's difficult to keep it in place. But for me (Mrs) it's not a problem because as long as the size is correctly adjusted my sports bra keeps it in place. (sorry-TMI)

Re cadence lock: I had a lot of issues with a FR 235. I wore it tight and above my wrist bone but still had issues.

They have mostly gone away due to 2 changes:
1. Always wait for the heart icon to stop blinking, indicating it has locked (lock is good in this case) onto your heart rate. (Thanks @camaker)
2. I noticed cadence lock almost always started after a break. I conjecture that during a break I subconsciously pulled or pushed on the watch and it lost my heart rate. Once the heart is solid, I make sure and never touch the watch other than to push buttons.

I liked the medal the year before. I would have signed up for the year I liked the medal, but school stuff, so since I didn't do that year, I decided to do it the next year.
My second marathon was "if I'm doing Disney, I might as well also do my local marathon."
There's nothing specific about the marathon distance that appeals to me, which is why I'm 2-and-done. But that's just me.

It definitely sounds scary, but if you're willing to put in the work, it's doable.

I swam competitively growing up, and we periodically ran for cross training. I hated every step. Jump ahead many years and it's 2011. Some friends mention they are taking a couples trip to WDW so one of them can run the marathon. That Jan was going to be DW and I's 13th anniversary so I figured we could go to disney and I could run 13 miles. Walking around on Sunday after the full and seeing people with their Mickey and Goofy medals made me decide to do the Marathon the next year.

Thanks to you and @DopeyBadger for explaining. I guess if there is one advantage to the chest strap, this is it. I know Mr PADC never liked the chest strap because it's difficult to keep it in place. But for me (Mrs) it's not a problem because as long as the size is correctly adjusted my sports bra keeps it in place. (sorry-TMI)

Christine, i was going to say i hated the chest strap between it and my sports bra i had perpetual, ughly chafe under the girls. I have the garmin 935 watch now which has the wrist optical HRM. Prior to that watch i switched from a chest strap (rather quickly) to the Schosche optical you wear on your arm. I really liked it. It did not suffer from cadence lock as it was tight on your arm. I did have it paired to the new watch but honestly i just use the HRM as another data point, i don't train off it. I prefer to carry as little as possible so i just went with the watch.

I will say i did not know about cadence lock till reading this. It makes a lot of sense, as i have had some runs that were EA and clearly easy to me and my HR was through the rough. I knew it was the monitor i did not realize the watch was stuck on my cadence.

FYI here is a link the HRM.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Rhyt...ocphy=9010928&hvtargid=pla-349337170493&psc=1

Because I wanted to complete dopey. I started with the 10K, then went to the half and 5K, and then I was like meh I could do this and dopey ever since. In training it was a bit daunting but the accomplishment is unlike anything else.

Started couch to 5k in 5/12. Ran a 1/4 marathon in 9/12. Ran a 10 miler in 3/13. Finally thought I was ready for a half in 10/13. Ran another half in 4/14. The thought NEVER crossed my mind that I'd ever consider a marathon. I'd laugh when people asked me when/if I was going to do a marathon.

In January, 2015 we took my daughter (and her bf.. now husband) who was on break from sophomore year of college, for a week trip to WDW. We saw some runners returning on Saturday to their hotels while we were doing Magical Express, so I got a little peak into the whole experience. Then on Sunday morning (rope drop) at Hollywood Studios, we were waiting for park opening and saw some marathon runners coming down Hollywood Blvd. Then it hit me... if I was ever going to run ONE marathon, it would be in WDW. It had to be better than other marathons because I'd get to go through all 4 parks. Welp, I signed up on opening registration day and ran my first marathon in January, 2016. The whole family was there to watch. So now I've run a total of 9 marathons (4 WDW, 3 Chicago, 1 NYC, and 1 Indy). I was hoping to do WDW again in 2020, but a family wedding has spoiled that. But my wife and I are planning to return in 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!