Marathon Weekend 2020

Thanks everyone! Just starting to get anxiety, it's becoming real. Follow up questions- How do you carry your snacks? I have a handheld bottle with a little pouch for my inhaler, ID and such, but is a small belt a good idea? Also what do you eat before long runs and before the actual race?

I usually use my spibelt that has elastic loops to hold gels. I have water bottles that clip onto the belt. Odds and ends go into the zippered pouch. I also have a Nathan hydration backback thingy (like a CamelBak) that has pockets on it, but I don't use it as much as my spibelt.

Thanks everyone! Just starting to get anxiety, it's becoming real. Follow up questions- How do you carry your snacks? I have a handheld bottle with a little pouch for my inhaler, ID and such, but is a small belt a good idea? Also what do you eat before long runs and before the actual race?

I have a hydration belt that holds two 12 oz bottles. For anything more than a half, I throw in a sleeve of Clif chews. For a full, I use two sleeves. I don’t pack any other food.

Pre-race for me is typically a Clif bar or a toasted bagel with cream cheese.

Did anyone else see that Magic Kingdom (Jan 13) and Animal Kingdom (Jan 9) after hours events are slated for the time around Marathon Weekend? Since I'm doing Goofy, seriously considering the AK after hours on Jan 9th!

I am doing the Dopey Challenge again this year so that Jan 9th After Hours at Animal Kingdom would majorly disrupt my schedule for the 10k. Nevertheless I'm still tempted because I did it during this year's marathon weekend and it was great. I was able to ride FoP 5 times that evening. Maybe I can nap during the day to between races to catch up on sleep.

DW was thinking about cheer squad, as it will be my first full.
My mom purchased ChEAR Squad when she spectated me during the 2015 Star Wars Half. In her opinion, she did not regret signing up for chEAR Squad, but also would not do it again.
ETA: If there is something you want, buy it at the expo (even if its the full "I did it" shirt. Just don't wear it beforehand. And in the unlikely event you "don't did it" you can return to any WDW merchandise location.
I fully recommend this. In 2018, my sister wanted to look at the tent to pick up something she decided she should have gotten at the Expo and it was not at the merchandise tent post race. Sometimes, sizes run out as well. If you might want something, get it at the Expo. If you change your mind, it's easy enough to return.
I just wanted to say that the anxiety is normal. I felt this way a year ago.
I can't offer up much more than to say use these months leading up to race weekend to try things out.
This is tremendous advice. I learned in marathon training that I had been fueling "wrong" for all my previous half marathon races. While my fueling had not cost me anything major in all of those races, it probably would have destroyed my dreams of finishing the marathon. But the runs leading up to the race helped me learn what worked.
All of this is an individual thing with a gazillion different answers - you'll see. :rotfl:But if we don't share what works for us, you won't get any ideas to start trying things, so I'm happy to add my preferences to the pile!
Absolutely. And that can make all the difference. Sometimes my body does not like to eat food before 8:00am. For obvious reasons this can pose a major problem on race day. A runner recommended applesauce to me and it worked. The thing is, I don't really love applesauce. Well on marathon morning this year, I realized I had a problem. My stomach was clearly telling me that it did not want applesauce for a 4th consecutive morning. So while sitting in race retreat, I remembered reading about all the people who love a bagel with creamy peanut butter. I know the risk of nothing new on race day, but I also knew that my body liked the idea of a bagel with peanut butter and that was a better "risk" than something my stomach did not feel like again. It worked wonderfully for me.

Learn what works for you. Just because it works for me does not mean it will work for you. But without people sharing their experiences, I may have had a much bigger issue on marathon morning.
Yeah, I went there for the Half this year and they let spectators onto Main Street at 5:30 AM. It was awesome, with Main Street and Cinderella's Castle all lit up and they had shops open and food available.
That almost makes me regret signing up for Dopey this year. But I wasn't going to skip out on the anniversary Goofy medal so I knew before I committed back in February that I was definitely running Goofy so the only debate was Dopey.

I wouldn't worry very much about this. It isn't like you are without aid and if you can stomach Powerade, you probably don't need more than a couple gels. My shorts have a few two small side pockets in which I can carry up 4-6 gels if needed and a pouch in back in which I can carry a cliff bar. I rarely eat all of it but I would rather have the food just in case. It is fine, but I just don't use it much. I have considered looking into the Flipbelt or the Nathans version of it. My understanding is that it tends not to bounce around and, as long as you get the right size, it is very comfortable.

Pre-race I always eat the same thing I eat before my long runs during training. So, just try to do whatever you normally do. Then a little before the start I will either start to drink some gatorade or have a gel.

View attachment 427638

The MK doesn't open until 9am on Marathon Sunday and the Balloon ladies will be at Grand Floridian (thus out of MK) by an estimated 8:23am (ETA: or earlier if the marathon is smaller again pushing the balloon ladies start time earlier, I believe it was closer to 6:17am in 2019). So the race course is cleared from MK before the first day guests are getting in. But like others have said, DW can cheer from inside MK before the park opens without cheer squad or park tickets.

Once the race gets closer we can get a general idea of your pace plan and then run the math as to when time wise you'll be at different places on property.
This is super interesting information about the balloon ladies, where did you get it? I can't remember which race, but it was at Disneyland. My friend tends to be near the back of the pack, and she said the balloon ladies were not consistent and were running ahead and stopping etc. Totally freaking out the people afraid of being swept. But I assume the crew is different for Disney World.

This is super interesting information about the balloon ladies, where did you get it? I can't remember which race, but it was at Disneyland. My friend tends to be near the back of the pack, and she said the balloon ladies were not consistent and were running ahead and stopping etc. Totally freaking out the people afraid of being swept. But I assume the crew is different for Disney World.
You can track the balloon ladies.

Balloon ladies have done plenty of interviews you can find. They will run ahead if they need to go to the bathroom and stuff like that. They also will run if they fall behind their pace. They will slow or stop if they are ahead of their pace.

All this talk about food makes me wonder what the strangest thing you've ever eaten during a run is?

One of the local races gives out boiled salted potatoes while running.

All this talk about food makes me wonder what the strangest thing you've ever eaten during a run is?

That's actually fairly standard in ultras!

Personally? Cake. And I don't mean like a little bit of a cube of cake. No I'm talking a whole slice at one of the aid stations for the 100k I did back in 2015. Admittedly after a certain point in ultras its less about what you're eating, as much as the fact your getting fuel in.

Chicken broth about halfway through the marathon during Ironman Wisconsin... boy, did that hit the spot! Maybe that counts as liquid and not food, oh well.

You'd probably get strange looks if you packed Ziploc baggy full of broth in your belt pocket. That would be fun to take out mid run.

Personally? Cake. And I don't mean like a little bit of a cube of cake. No I'm talking a whole slice at one of the aid stations for the 100k I did back in 2015. Admittedly after a certain point in ultras its less about what you're eating, as much as the fact your getting fuel in.
I'm sure that seemed delicious mid way through an ultra.

I understand why people are terrified of the balloon ladies, yet I've also seen runners start to panic near the end of a race (as in the last mile or 2) when a balloon lady passes them and attempt to run in the midst of a huge pack of runners bunched together. I think many runners do not know how the sweep actually works. If they did, they would be more at ease. I've heard nearby runners express their terror about being swept and since they're near me and I haven't heard the sweep warning, I know we're safe. When that occurs, I do try to tell people that we're fine.

Balloon ladies have done plenty of interviews you can find. They will run ahead if they need to go to the bathroom and stuff like that. They also will run if they fall behind their pace. They will slow or stop if they are ahead of their pace.
The balloon ladies and/or pace groups know what they're doing. If your objective is to finish and you're properly prepared, they will get you to the finish line. Depending on how fast you actually are, you may have to forego in race photos at Disney, but you will cross that finish line.

I think most everyone covered it, but I just used the pace expectation (16 min/mile) and estimated start time (when the marathon was in the 20,000s participants it was around 6:31am for the last runners, but last year with less marathon runners it was around 6:17am). Then it's simply multiplying pace (16) by distance to specific milestones (like Cinderella's castle at 5.6 miles). So it's not exact, but a reasonable estimate. The easiest way on day of is to track them using runner tracking like @rteetz suggested.

Was that the Blearch run? I believe the aide stations have cake, purple drink, and there are couches along the way

Boiled salted potatoes sounds awesome! at the 2018 Boston Marathon, I was feeling a cramp developing in my calf around the half way point. I then saw a woman dressed in a bacon costume with a tray of bacon! I had a piece of bacon, slowed my pace, and was able to finish the race cramp free. I saw the same woman in the same costume this year. She didn't have the bacon this year, and said something about it being her husbands fault. I told her how much I liked it and how it helped, and she said that she will be sure to have some next year!

I'm sure that seemed delicious mid way through an ultra.

Yep! Really good cake too. Never thought cake could taste good during a run before then.

Was that the Blearch run? I believe the aide stations have cake, purple drink, and there are couches along the way

Nope! This was an ultra in England. Race to the Stones 100k. They had it at a few of the later aid stations. And the finish. I mainly remember the finish because I think I snarfed down an entire slice before my Dad got the car to where I was.

I got through two Comrades eating salted potatoes. They’re excellent fuel during very long runs. The strangest thing I’ve eaten during a race is meatloaf during the Rocky Raccoon 50-miler many years ago. Sure did hit the spot.

This was the food available during a 6/12/24 hour ultra this summer. I only did the 6 hour so a few of the breakfast items were not out yet when I finished.

DrinksSweet FoodsSalty FoodsReal Foods
  • Water
  • Ice
  • Gatorade
  • Coke
  • Mt. Dew
  • Ginger Ale
  • Dr. Pepper
  • Diet Dr. Pepper
  • Sparkling Water
  • Veggie Broth
  • Coffee
  • Butter Cookies
  • Oreos - Vegan
  • M&M’s (Peanut)
  • Nutella
  • Fig Newtons - Vegan
  • Twizzlers
  • Twinkies
  • Swedish Fish - Vegan
  • Ice Pops
Fruit:
  • Bananas
  • Oranges
  • Watermelon
  • Grapes
  • Salt
  • Potato Chips (Doritos, BBQ Lays, Ruffles)
  • Crackers (Ritz, Animal) - Vegan
  • Pretzels
  • Peanuts
  • Popcorn
  • Veggie Straws
  • Payday Candy
  • Trail Mix
  • Pickles - Dill & Sweet
  • Olives
  • Potatoes - Vegan
  • PB & J Sandwich (Grape, Strawberry)
  • Beans (Black/Refried) - Vegan
  • Bean Wraps - Vegan
  • Hummus Wraps - Vegan
  • Bread
  • Flour Tortillas - Vegan
  • Ramen Noodles
  • Turkey Sandwiches
  • Pizza - Vegan available
  • Quesadillas
  • Pancakes & Syrup
  • Bacon
  • Donuts
  • Cereal

Not sure why, but my favorites were the ramen noodles, bacon, and olives

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter