Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I have both hopes and fears for the new marathon course, but I’ll be relatively content as long as it continues to run through all 4 major parks. As far ar completely new things, I’m most looking forward to:

1. Galaxy’s Edge. Super excited to see the land and already have a reservation to build a lightsaber at Savi’s.
  2. Epcot. I’m really looking forward to the Illuminations replacement. I loved Illuminations, but have felt like it was dated and needing an update for some time now.
  3. Gondolas. I’m a little up in the air on them right now. I don’t like heights, but I don’t have issues with things like the monorail, so I’m going to give it a go. Staying at CBR, my least favorite moderate, to see how they change the experience.

With that in mind, knowing that even veteran Dis'ers are going to see something different over Marathon Weekend, for this week's Sundays are for Disney I want to know what is something "new" (to you) that you're looking forward to for Marathon Weekend? It could be anything - a new land like Galaxy's Edge or maybe just a resort, ride or restaurant you've never experienced before.

I’m looking forward to taking the monorail to the start of a race*. We’re staying at Poly this year because we couldn’t rent DVC at BC/YC.

*race signup required

SAFD: this is my first marathon AND first RD race, so I’m excited for everything, lol. But specifically:
Staying at POFQ for the first time (a non-running friend is coming with me)
Post marathon eats at Homecomin
Riding FOP for the first time ever!
Beignets
The medal!
Just soaking everything in and determining whether this will become an addiction, haha

SAFD: I’m on the fence about the changes to the marathon course. I don’t mind the earlier start at all. I don’t like that my first thoughts were negative about the blizzard beach addition and its implications for the course. It would be awesome if we could avoid WWoS or the out and back before AK and run through all four parks plus Blizzard Beach. I just hope it’s not a situation where we basically just run through the parking lot of blizzard beach and not in the water park itself or that they just substitute blizzard beach for another park.

I’m looking forward to Galaxy’s Edge! I will be there for Wine and Dine but it will be with my sister in law who is pregnant so I doubt she will be doing the rides. I don’t want to have to make her constantly wait on me while I ride all the rides.

Also most looking forward to being down there with my good friend from college for the whole race weekend. We are extremely excited to be down there without our kids and husbands and just have a ton of fun!

Regarding the recent announcement, the 5 AM start will be tough. But I’m optimistic about the course changes. I never minded Wide World of Sports and if they keep part of that and add BB, I think that is good.

When I first read the announcement I had a thought that maybe the only place they will have characters post race for pics is in the paid open air runners area. I hope that will not be the case. The following says nothing about character photos, but with all the up-sells of late, this concerns me a bit.

“For runners, the event will offer a new outdoor exclusive area, where runners can take photos, pick up their gear, stretch, and recover.”

SAFD: Looking forward to the new marathon course. I really don’t care where it goes, I’m just happy to run in Disney.
I am going to try again at Crawling Crab in 2 weeks.
I’ll also be at Crawlin’ Crab! I was going to use it for my Dopey POT before I was diagnosed with FAI and a torn labrum in my hip. Now I’ll be walking this race as well as Dopey. No worries though because with the help of an @DopeyBadger plan I know I’ll finish!

SAFD:
I also can’t really imagine WWoS will disappear, that’s 4-5 miles that they likely consider park running. If there is going to be “less time on the roads outside the parks” I can’t imagine how they get rid of it.

See I can't really imagine us still making the trip down to WWOS. Pulling away to BB will probably add another mile if not two on its own. So that shaves around two miles off of that portion of the course. Then there's the comment about Epcot distance, while I don't know if we'll get the full 2012 route even if were scraping by and just give it a mile. That's still two-three miles of a 5 mile out and back. I'm not sure if it's realistic anymore for us to go all the way down to WWOS. Maybe we will get unlucky and have to go out and back on the highway. But I just don't see how WWOS can stay at this point.

Even if they take out the out and back near AK that's still a good couple of miles taken away from WWOS. Either WWOS is leaving which I think is the more realistic option or what were getting is a shadow of the past few years where we run in turn around and run out.

On the topic of SATD as of right now I honestly really don't have much in the way of new things. If Space 220 ever opens for reservations I might do that. But outside of the race change itself and maybe the new Illuminations replacement (depending on whether or not I see it in December) a lot of the new stuff right now I've already seen thanks to Galaxy's Edge in CA or will see in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!