Marathon Weekend 2020

Anyone who wants to make Disney courses shorter instead of longer is crazy! @FFigawi and I turned the 10K into 8 miles and had a blast.
Do we know if the finish time of the runners who did not go to Blizzard Beach was adjusted to reflect the shorter course?

Just a curiosity because I already know and accept that my finish times at Disney reflect more how long the characters lines were, how congested the courses were and how much distractions were offered than how fast I can run.

I ran the Full course and they just opened the bypass in front of me when I was coming back from BB. There was mostly surprise on both sides.

Do we know if the finish time of the runners who did not go to Blizzard Beach was adjusted to reflect the shorter course?

Just a curiosity because I already know and accept that my finish times at Disney reflect more how long the characters lines were, how congested the courses were and how much distractions were offered than how fast I can run.

I ran the Full course and they just opened the bypass in front of me when I was coming back from BB. There was mostly surprise on both sides.
Since the last timing mat was at 20 miles (before the turn off for BB) there is no way for them to know for sure who ran the full course and who was cut (or as I like to call them...the lucky ones!)

I started in coral B and passed the start on the other side (around mile 4.5) when shortly after I flew by someone running. Realize I started 2 minutes after the first runners. There is no way I would not have passed them within the first couple of miles. I can only assume the crossed the median and skipped the first Epcot loop.

I don't know how they would be able to tell which runners ran the shortened course I remember somebody saying that the 6:30 pace group finished before the 6:15 pace group because the 6:15 group went through Blizzard Beach and 6:30 did not. I was one who did not get to run through Blizzard Beach. I'm not sure what that makes me other than a back of the pack runner. Which I already was.

Last edited:
Since the last timing mat was at 20 miles (before the turn off for BB) there is no way for them to know for sure who ran the full course and who was cut (or as I like to call them...the lucky ones!)
I don't know how they would be able to tell which runners ran the shortened course I remember somebody saying that the 6:30 pace group finished before the 6:15 pace group because the 6:15 group went through Blizzard Beach and 6:30 did not. I was one who did not get to run through Blizzard Beach. I'm not sure what that makes me other than a back of the pack runner. Which I already was.
Thanks for the answers and example. I did not follow that discussion online... I was too busy being at Disney or back to real life. So, I’ll just put an asterisk next to my placement numbers.

And that BB detour, whether we ran it or not, just makes us runners who respected the term of our agreement with the race organization. Congratulations to all 🥳

Well, you’re kind of lucky you avoided running the entire perimeter of the BB parking lot. That drudgery was far worse than any of the out and backs on Osceola. ;)

Well, you’re kind of lucky you avoided running the entire perimeter of the BB parking lot. That drudgery was far worse than any of the out and backs on Osceola. ;)

I feel like this stretch needs a nickname considering how awful it was. I'm proposing Buzzard Beach for the buzzards circling overhead, waiting for the runners who had to endure that section to drop.

Read that article on the cheater - I am trying to figure out how he got to the finish line? He has a medal, but only recorded the 5 mile and 10 mile splits. There were plenty of places to cut that marathon course, but a bee-line from mile 10 to the finish isn't one of them (I can't imagine he ran on World Dr without being caught). So did he catch a parade bus?

I feel like this stretch needs a nickname considering how awful it was. I'm proposing Buzzard Beach for the buzzards circling overhead, waiting for the runners who had to endure that section to drop.

I think I'd still take the Blizzard Beach parking lot over the out and back. At least Blizzard Beach had the advantage of the shaded pathway portion breaking up the beat down the sun was giving us as well as a character stop with the opportunity for a little cool down in the shade. The out and back was just straight, un-shaded pavement with a DJ at the end. No protection or relief from the sun whatsoever. I'm not sold on the new course, by any stretch, but BB didn't really stand out to me as worse than what it was replacing. What I didn't like were the multiple points where you looked at runners heading the other way on the opposite side of the road. Those parts of a course always give me a "why am I not there yet" mental challenge as I run them.

Read that article on the cheater - I am trying to figure out how he got to the finish line? He has a medal, but only recorded the 5 mile and 10 mile splits. There were plenty of places to cut that marathon course, but a bee-line from mile 10 to the finish isn't one of them (I can't imagine he ran on World Dr without being caught). So did he catch a parade bus?
My guess is he did get on a bus.

What’s with all the missed splits sprinkled throughout the results? Does the RFID glitch out that often or is it something the runner does when hitting the mat? If my results had a missed split it would drive me insane!

Last edited:

A girl I follow on Instagram ran 12 miles of the marathon and monorailed back to Epcot to her car (she never planned to run the whole thing and headed home from there). While I imagine he probably got on a parade bus, apparently the monorail was an option as well?

What’s with all the missed splits sprinkled throughout the results? Does the RFID glitch out that often or is it something the runner does when hitting the mat? If my results had a missed split it would drive me insane!

There were a lot of malfunctioning bibs this past race weekend it felt like. I mentioned this upthread but y bib never registered at the finish and so I had no half finish. I had to go to the expo so I could have proof of finishing to get my medals. Of course, that ended up being frutal. They're going to fix it now but it seemed like something was up with TrackShack? I can't remember the last time I heard about this many problems. Heck there was a wheelie who was mssing his 20 split and well you couldn't exactly miss 20.

I had another friend whose bib tripped the 15k mark when they were on the out portion during the Half headed towards MK.

Maybe having Olaf recap the entire race weekend is the only way to redeem Blizzard Beach?
A girl I follow on Instagram ran 12 miles of the marathon and monorailed back to Epcot to her car (she never planned to run the whole thing and headed home from there). While I imagine he probably got on a parade bus, apparently the monorail was an option as well?
Now I'm genuinely curious as to her motivation only running 12 miles of the marathon and that being her plan all along. Nothing wrong with it, just curious.

I may have actually seen Mr. Liar (don't remember his name and don't feel like looking so I am just going to call him that for the moment) on Sunday thinking back. Adaptives start at the tail end of A so we had a staff member with us constantly having to redirect the non adaptives towards the front. and away from us. I think he may have actually been one of those runners that started to mingle in the back before the staff directed him away from us. I remember at least 4 different runners having the staff coming up to them (mainly because I was sitting on the ground right near where the staff member was). So if I'm right about that not only was he lying about the time but he lied at first about starting up with the elites. Which really isn't a surprise either when you think about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!