Marathon Weekend 2021

I'm definitely in!

I only got to hang out a bit at Happy Hour on Friday, as those crazy traffic delays kept me away from the pre-race meet-up on Sunday morning, and two sick kids kept me away from DATW on Monday. So I feel like I really need to try and PR the "fun" portion of Marathon Weekend next year. 8-)

OMG I cannot believe this thread exists already. This 2021 weekend lines up with my work (academic) calendar the same way MW did just now, which meant I finished Goofy on Sunday, flew back yesterday and had lecture today. And I was frankly feeling stoopid all day today, not totally recovered. First I showed up at the wrong building to teach, then forgot my work login, and it only continued from there. So right now I'm out but of course over the course of a year people tend to forget the difficulties and change their mind.

DH and I had concluded that 2020 would be our last runDisney year until after I retire. With my first Princess Half being in 2010, it seemed nice and tidy...you know, bookends for the decade. 2020 made it 11 consecutive years with a runDisney race. We decided to take a break for a few years, with me planning to do Dopey the first year of retirement.

But then, 2020 MW happened...and we had such a great time that we talked about 2021 MW on the way home from the airport!

I really want to return for Marathon Weekend 2021. It’s such a fun weekend! I know with the progression of my races over the 2019 and 2020 weekends I am due for Dopey. But...shortly after beginning this year’s marathon I told myself make sure you accomplish all your race goals because this is it! After two full marathons I’m retiring from the distance.

So, I have until April to make some decisions. But, the 10k will most likely be included! (Now that I’ve said that...it will be Oswald themed again, wont it?)

I’m here so I can torture myself with FOMO for one more year. I am doing W&D but MW just doesn’t work for us again until (hopefully) 2022.
I still like following along especially to see what changes they make to the next one since this past one had some disastrous moments (not counting the weather).

2021 hopefully will be my first Run Disney & first 26.2 (Dopey :oops:) but I have a few questions:

1. Can you purchase a 26.2 or Goofy and then upgrade later to the Goofy/Dopey? Best practice?
2. How do y'all handle race week? Does anyone visit the parks or would it be a waste of money to buy park tickets for the race days?
3. Best way to book your room+race entry+tickets without having to pay full up front? We just got back from a New Years Disney trip and need to recover :earsboy:

I look forward to learning from everyone on this thread!

I am kicking around making 2021 my first marathon. I'm in the two course challenge for Princess weekend and that will be my first official half, although I've covered 12 miles in training and I was ready to go for W&D HM but had to pull out at the last minute, so I'm not worried about that. But I guess it will depend on how I actually feel at the end of Princess!

I'll definitely be doing W&D 2020 so that could be a HM during the training for the full. We'll see! I'll be following along for now.

2021 hopefully will be my first Run Disney & first 26.2 (Dopey :oops:) but I have a few questions:

1. Can you purchase a 26.2 or Goofy and then upgrade later to the Goofy/Dopey? Best practice?
2. How do y'all handle race week? Does anyone visit the parks or would it be a waste of money to buy park tickets for the race days?
3. Best way to book your room+race entry+tickets without having to pay full up front? We just got back from a New Years Disney trip and need to recover :earsboy:

I look forward to learning from everyone on this thread!

1. I can’t help much with this one. You can upgrade and pay the difference if the races are still available.

2. Twenty people will probably give you 20 different responses. Personally, I go hard at the parks since I don’t want to sacrifice park time for race time. I go home at the end of the trip fairly exhausted, but I’m good with that.

3. I used a travel agent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter