March Break Driving??? Weather???Stopping at Daytona???

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! I love all the driving questions lately. Getting me all excited and prepped for driving to WDW. I am thinking March Break ~ but worried about the weather during the drive. What do you all think?

Has anyone stopped in Daytona before WDW? I think that's what we'll do. I'm thinking Mississauga to WDW is about 22-24 hours. What about Mississauga to Daytona, about the same? THX S

Sandra we have not experienced any major weather difficulties the last two years we have gone to WDW during March Break, other than rain this year (heavy at times) and sleet while leaving Ontario into Michigan the previous year. We always go via I75.

On the I75, from Mississauga via Detroit, WDW is 1388miles, 22hrs driving time and Daytona Beach is 1411miles, 22hrs driving time staying on the I75 until you get into Florida and then getting on the I10 to I95.

Going via Buffalo, on the I79, US19, I77, I26, I95, WDW is 1309miles, 22hrs driving time and Daytona Beach is 1225 miles, 20hrs driving time.

These are from my Rand McNally Trip Planner program and are using the "quickest routes". You can probably do better on actual driving times but it gives you an idea.

I personally prefer the I75 for winter/early spring driving. We always go to Myrtle Beach via the I79 etc. route and it's a good route, though more mountainous, but that's always been in the summer.

Hope this gives you an idea! :D

BTW, looking forward to the Wonderland meet! We've just had MAJOR car problems ($$$$). I just pray it's all fixed now (get it back next week) so I have a vehicle to get there! That's the trouble with older vehicles....you never know what's next! Miss my leased van! :(

THANKS Julie! I see you are dreaming of a Spring vacation! YIPPY! Disney bound? What are your plans? S

Yes, we are hoping (dreaming) for a WDW trip early next spring, without the kids, possibly staying a few days with our neighbours who have a winter home out near the Gulf coast and then spending a few days at Disney. I look after their house when they are gone. I have to have something to look forward to (dream)! LOL!!

Hi Sandra,

We spent a night in Dayton this last trip before heading to WDW. We had planned on stopping on our second night in Rock Hill, SC, but after we got going on the second day we figured we'd get there too early so adjusted our plans (cancelled ressies for Hampton Inn in Rock Hill & made resies for Daytona Beach Hilton).

If you're looking for a good place to stay, the Hilton was lovely. We paid $99/night & it included a free breakfast (up to $11/person) in their restaurant overlooking the ocean...great deal for 4 people - worked out to $55/night for the room :D

We often add a few nights in Daytona to the beginning or end of our trip...the kids love the beach there & the breeze off the ocean is so nice. The thing our kids remember most about our trip to Florida when they were little (they were 7, 5 & 3) was Daytona Beach...they even remember it more (& seemed to enjoy it more) than Disney. They talked about it forever when we got home (they even used to get the hose & fill up the sand box with water saying they were trying to make "Daytona Beach"). We also went to Clearwater Beach that year but Daytona was their favourite.

I think it's certainly something worth considering. Just be careful where you stay...some of the places are kind of "dumpy". And by the way, driving time from Daytona to WDW is an hour.

We stopped at Daytona on our way home from WDW one year. Just stayed 3 days, long enough to get rested up for the drive home. I wanted the kids to see the ocean and beach. DD worried all the way down about sharks. We kept saying that the sharks don't come in that close to the beach. Well, wouldn't you know that as we get out of the car at the motel we see a sign on the beach "SHARK WARNING...STAY OUT OF THE WATER". We had a good time anyway. Just watch your dates, don't forget that Daytona is overrun by bikers sometime at the end of February, beginning of March, it is commonly known as bike week but actually lasts 2 weeks, not really a place for young children then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter