Marriott Ford's Colony Williamsburg Report

rocketriter

DIS Veteran
We're at the Marriott Ford's Colony at Williamsburg on a DVC/II trade (connected on FREE high-speed wi-fi). This was an "instant" trade made last year for a week in a 1-bedroom for 144 points.

Check-in went smoothly and quickly. Our first-floor suite has a lousy view of a patch of dead grass and an electrical box, and we hear every flush from every suite above us. I suspect that as non-Marriott owners we got a less-than-prime location.

However, the suite itself is beautiful. It's larger than anything at DVC except OKW, and beautifully furnished in a formal colonial style. Perhaps because we're on the first floor, we have 10-foot ceilings. We also have a large living room with a gas fireplace, a full-sized dining table for 6 plus counter seating for 2. The whirlpool is large enough for two :-). The bath is more conventionally laid out than at our BCV home. Now I understand the maze of doors at the BCV--in the end, all those doors offer much better privacy for various parts of the bath area. The suite has a rack rate for this season of $600/night, although I'm not sure that means anything in real life.

Williamsburg, of course, is a wonderful place to visit. Staying a week, we've bought an annual pass that more than breaks even its cost after 3 days of visiting, particularly since the pass includes unlimited shows that otherwise have an admission charge. The attractions are fascinating, and we intend to range out to Jamestown, Newport News, Busch Gardens and so forth during our week.

In the end, we're satisfied with our trade. It took an entire five minutes to set up last winter because DVC had MFC rooms already in stock. The resort is beautiful and the historic area is wonderful to visit with children. We're having a great time.

Thanks for filling us in. It's always nice to hear about the good trades! I wish we had someplace to compile reports about trades, so when the time comes to actually go somplace else besides Disney, I could remember which ones might be a good place to try.

Well hello from down the road! You'll have to tell us know your impression of the new ride at Busch Gardens (Dark Kastle). We only live about 1.5 hours from Busch Gardens and didn't get an AP this year, but plan to sometime this year to check it out.

Williamsburg is a wonderful place to visit, lots and lots of history up there. If you enjoy the water parks, check out Water Country too. Just watch out for the heat... !!! It isn't Florida, but it's still hot!

I'll let the kids try Dark Kastle. (My excuse is a bad disc in my back.) You're right about the heat. We all bought those huge colonial straw hats and carried bottles of ice. Today is supposed to be cooler--maybe the mid-80s.

One thing I didn't report earlier about our suite is that the porch is screened, something we don't get at DVC. Very useful in Virginia! That means we can leave the door to the porch open and wander in and out without letting in a lot of wildlife.

Wow. This resort seems to have lots of fans on this board. Thanks for telling us about it.

Do you all know what size would accomodate a family of five at this resort and how many points it would take? We are thinking of Williamsburg for next year.

I'd put a family of 5 in a 2-bedroom unless a couple of the kids were infants. Our 1-bedroom unit has a king bed in the master and a queen sofabed in the living room, just like at DVC. Our son's voice is about to change, so we're about to move up to the world of 2-bedrooms ourselves since we'll no longer want him sharing a bed with our daughter. I don't know the point count of the 2-bedroom or when the seasons change; I only know that our 1-bedroom in mid-August cost 144 points. You can ask MS and they'll tell you immediately. I also don't know if this resort is still available for instant exchange; I haven't seen it listed lately in our DVC publications. Again, MS will know. Good luck!

Hi, i'm glad you're having a great time. Did any golf privileges come with your stay? We'd like to stay there sometime but we would want to play golf.

If you get a chance go to Yorktown. We really enjoyed that trip. There's a little restaurant called "Carrott Tree". It was great. We went for lunch and really wanted to stop there again before we left, but time did not allow.

I don't eat carrott cake, but it was their specialty so I tried it. WOW, I can't describe how good it was. The owners also have a bakery in town.

We stayed at this Marriott also. I agree, the rooms are beautiful. We're going back next year.

Have a wonderful time.

We will be staying in a two bedroom at Kings Creek Plantation next June. This is our first trade outside DVC. We hope it turns out well. Any suggestions on what to do in the Williamsburg area would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest the Independence Pass at Colonial Williamsburg. It's essentially an annual pass with maximum privileges. If you're staying a week in the area, it's nice to be able to pop in and out of CW for a few hours at a time every day, and to make reservations at the paid events and not have to pay for them. It doesn't take many such events to cross the break-even point on the Pass cost. While there are many things to do in the area--the MFC even offers an orientation lecture several days a week--CW is definitely the centerpiece. No "rides" or "thrills," of course. But the simple walk-arounds and conversations with CMs are wonderful. Yesterday we spent an hour in a small group addressed by Patrick Henry. The actor not only was a very effective presence; he also knew his subject backwards and forwards. The group asked him all sorts of questions and he provided fascinating and well-researched answers with lots of verve. Sounds intellectual, but he blew us all away and we can't wait to go back for another meet-and-greet. Tomorrow we're taking our kids through an "apprentice" program that lasts several hours and will have them actually working for the wheel-wright, the gardener (a slave), the milliner and so forth. Fantastic experience, and the kids are really lighting up within it.

We were there about this time last summer. We had a third floor 2 bdrm that also had 10ft ceilings. Since you only have a one bedroom, you're in the newer buidlings. The buildings close to the main facility are all dedicated 2 bdrms.

It's a lovely location and I'm sure we'll visit again someday. Our 3dds loved Busch Gardens.

Thanks for posting your review!!!! I was waiting for this, since you mentioned months ago that you were going!!!

Waht was the pool like? What activites (if any) did the resort offer????
How far of a drive would Virginia Beach be? did you go there...or did you only stay in willimasburg?

We did not use the larger pool by the main lobby. We used a smaller (but not small) pool about 1/4 mile down the road in the section of newer buildings. It was pleasant but had no water slide (we didn't care), although it did have a hot tub. At night the water was lit and lights were kept low above the water, which made for a lovely atmosphere. Air temperature that week was about 1,000 degrees, so the pool water was as warm as bath water.

We didn't make any use of the other resort activities although many were posted as available and operating. We bought an Annual Pass to Colonial Williamsburg and used that as our primary touring home base. We went "off campus" to Jamestown (you want to visit the section with the ships), Busch Gardens and to a couple of plantations. We didn't get to Newport News but heard there was a lot to see if you like maritime history. The nearest movie theatre, by the way, was miles away.

This section of Virginia is stunningly beautiful in the summer and we enjoyed several wild goose chases in our rental car.

We went "off campus" to Jamestown (you want to visit the section with the ships), Busch Gardens and to a couple of plantations.
Thanks for the report. How far a drive to Bush Gardens/Jamestown from the resort ?
Are there places to eat on the resort property ? If not, how close are restaurants ? How's the kitchen in the room ? Place to shop so as to stock the frig ?

This resort is beautiful and the staff are awesome!

It is very close to Ricmond Street--the main street for restaurants/hotels and there is a Prime Outlets and Food Lion less than 10 minutes away.

A super Walmart is a 10 minute drive and this is where we usually get our groceries.

The staff are excellent with restaurant recommendations, so be sure to ask Bob or Meredith if you go there.

They recommended New York Deli & Giuseppi's and both were excellent food!

It's about a 15 minute drive from Busch & Water Country, and you are best to get back on Highway 64 rather than taking 199 which is much slower.

Get to the parks 15 minutes before opening and be ready for the best rides first thing--it's a lot like Disney in that way.

This is a great resort in a beautiful area.

Also, someone asked about Golf. Each day they designate a course that is about half the price of the other 2 courses. I think they call it the Green course of the day (or something like that). You can play this course for around $54 including cart fee, whereas the other courses are over $100. They seem to rotate the Green course each day. Tee times can be booked 30 days in advance by calling the Marriott Manor Club directly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info WDWNewbie. I agree this is a beautiful area. We haven't been to Williamsburg/Bush Gardens since '96. We stayed at the Embassy Suites that trip but I'd love to stay in a 2 bedroom villa somewhere in the future.

Answers to your questions: Busch Gardens and Jamestown are each 20-30 minutes away on highways that pass through beautiful countryside, and Colonial Williamsburg is about 10 minutes. If you stay there a week, buy the annual pass; use it for lots of daytime activities that otherwise cost extra and attend a couple of "trials" at night by candlelight in the House of Burgesses. Although the Marriott probably does offer eating options (I seem to recall one "fine dining" spot) we didn't use them. About 5 minutes from Ford's Colony is a strip with a gazillion restaurants (we liked Mama Steve's for breakfast and Captain George for the dinner seafood buffet). Colonial Williamsburg also has very nice dining, although it isn't cheap. (Nor, by WDW standards, is it expensive.) The kitchen in the room is similar to a DVC kitchen. There are grocery stores nearby and the front desk is happy to draw you a map to them. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter